V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton

V is for Vengeance (edition 2012)

by Sue Grafton

Member:rebeccanyc
Title:V is for Vengeance
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:New York : Berkeley Publishing Group, 2012
Collections:Read 2012, Give Away
Tags:fiction, 21st century literature, US literature, mystery/crime

V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton

Recently added byprivate library, AdmiralSmug, bookwormamp, MT9g, EchoRidge, lilytee, ChristineEllei, PatriciaPMC

English (73)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  All languages (77)
The reader is once again invited to ride along with private detective Kinsey Millhone solving one of her cases. This one is a little different from the others in that it starts out without a client. While doing something as mundane as shopping for underwear Kinsey spots a shoplifter. Doing the “right thing” she reports the shoplifter to the store personnel. The next day the elderly female shoplifter is found dead of an apparent suicide. Hmmmm. With that, it’s off the races with a case that involves a shoplifting ring, a loan shark with a heart of gold and a likeable ex-con. Throw Henry’s sister’s hip surgery into the mix and it makes for a topsy-turvy read. In the best of ways!

I have been reading Ms. Grafton since A is for Alibi and this is one of my favorite of her books. She has finally dispensed with defining Kinsey’s dysfunctional family and concentrated on the story line of the book. I enjoyed that. This book also felt a little more ambitious than the past few books in this alphabet series as there were three separated story lines going on that converged at the end in (for this reader) a most satisfying way.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
You can never go wrong with a Kinsey Millhone novel. That being said, I found that V is for Vengeance was slow paced.

Too many characters, not enough Kinsey
Once in a while, in the alphabet novels we're lucky enough to catch a glimpse of Kinsey's past or find Kinsey forging a significant bond with someone. This is not one of those novels. The many characters in this book make it hard to follow at the start and make you wonder how they're all related to each other. While Sue went in depth with these characters I thought that there wasn't enough Kinsey. However we find a very introspective Kinsey in this book and the quotes are brilliant like the one below:

"Perhaps when we're forced to forfeit what we own, we lose any sentimental associations. Perhaps pawning our valuables frees us in the same way a house fire destroys not only our worldly goods, but our attachment to what's gone."

All in all even though V is for Vengeance is slow paced, it's still a very good read. I just wish there would have been more Kinsey in it.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series. Having read all the books in the series it's hard to believe there's only 4 books left before the end. ( )
  Marie113 | Mar 31, 2015 |
My favourite Grafton book in a long time. Kept my interest. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
My favourite Grafton book in a long time. Kept my interest. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
I liked this one better than "U is for Undertow," but still not as much as some of her earlier works. Kinsey reports a shoplifter, who apparently jumps off a bridge after a night in jail. ( )
  tloeffler | Aug 18, 2014 |
Here we are all the way up to V, and Sue Grafton is still springing narrative surprises. Grafton is of course the author of the series featuring the California private eye Kinsey Millhone. The titles for the books run through the alphabet, beginning almost 30 years ago with A is for Alibi. Now, in V is for Vengeance, Grafton performs the unthinkable by presenting readers with a portrait of the book’s major villain that is much more sympathetic than condemning.

The story begins with Millhone in the lingerie section of the local Nordstrom’s. That’s unlikely territory for casual Kinsey who usually confines her clothes shopping to low-end chain stores. In Nordstrom’s, she spots a 50ish woman who is carrying out slick pieces of shoplifting among the store’s silk lounge wear. In swift order, Kinsey alerts store security who pack the woman off to jail from which she’s soon released on bail. Next day, the shoplifter’s body is found at the bottom of a very high bridge, apparently a suicide.

Suffering from a guilty conscience over her role in the woman’s death, Kinsey decides to dig into the story behind the so-called suicide. Sure enough, she finds plenty of fishy people and puzzling events. All of this is usual in the Millhone books. Indeed, familiarity in concept and characters makes one of the series’ great comforts.

So we relax into the byplay involving Kinsey’s octogenarian landlord Henry and Henry’s equally aged but spry siblings. These people, as supporting characters, are unfailingly entertaining. In the new book, brother William’s disquisition on the value of attending the visitation and funeral of a complete stranger is alone worth the price of admission.

Meanwhile, as the cozy story of Kinsey’s life and investigation unfolds, all of it told in her first-person voice, Grafton drops in third-person chapters that trace the tale of a sinister but attractive man named Lorenzo Dante. This fellow happens to be the secretive capo of the mob as it exists in Kinsey’s hometown of Santa Teresa and environs.

Dante is rich, but has problems. His father, the retired capo, is blind to forces that threaten the mob’s existence. Dante’s younger brother is a psycho killer. Dante himself has been long planning an escape from this turmoil into an extravagantly funded retirement far from big time crime.

Though Kinsey’s crime solving has its fascinations, the reader becomes more deeply involved in Dante’s dilemmas. Will he evade his own mob’s clutches? And what about a woman who enters the plot, the wife of a wealthy lawyer? Is she part of Dante’s escape package? Gradually, these pressing questions upstage Kinsey’s adventures. Who, at this advanced stage in the Millhone saga, would have imagined such a delicious turn of events?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Dec 31, 2011)

Kinsey plays a smaller role in this story, which may not please some of her many fans, but Grafton's pioneering sleuth is as clever and witty as ever.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Linda Oliver (Oct 15, 2011)

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ordóñe… VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ordóñez, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for the Humphrey clan to honor all the tears we've been together
?Chuck and Theresa
Pam and Jim
Peter, Joanna, and baby Olivia
Meredith
Kathy and Ron
Gavin
and, of course my darling Steven
with love
Phillip Lanahan drove to Vegas in his 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet, a snappy little red car his parents had given him two months before, when he graduated from Princeton.

Private detective Kinsey Millhone feels a bit out of place in Nordstrom’s lingerie department, but she’s entirely in her element when she puts a stop to a brazen shoplifting spree. For her trouble she nearly gets run over in the parking lot by one of the fleeing thieves—and later learns that the one who didn’t get away has been found dead in an apparent suicide. But Audrey Vance’s grieving fiancé suspects murder and hires Kinsey to investigate—in a case that will reveal a big story behind a small crime, and lead her into a web that connects a shadowy “private banker,” an angry trophy wife, a spoiled kid with a spiraling addiction, and a brutal killer without a conscience…

California PI Kinsey Millhone investigates the death of Audrey Vance, a woman she helped arrest for shoplifting, and antagonizes just about everyone, including Audrey's fiance, several loan sharks, a stone-cold killer, and a hapless burglar who knows more than is healthy for him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible