Darkness Rising by Keri Arthur

Darkness Rising

by Keri Arthur

Series: Dark Angels (2)

Recently added bypnwbookgirl, Irena., dustydigger, private library, LT_Ammar, wintertopaz

Good second book. Think that Lucian is in on it. Cool sword, Amaya and getting closer to Azriel. What happens with Tao? ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
The search for the gate keys main storyline that started in the first book continues in Darkness Rising. More than two factions are after the keys and as a consequence, after Risa.

Her reaper is showing glimpses of an intriguing personalty. His one-liners, whether they are about him, Risa, their deepening connection or his lack of trust towards Lucien (I am with him on that), are frustratingly well scattered throughout the book. He never says too much.

The other case (this book only) is about vampire councillors being targeted by something unknown. Hunter gets Risa to work on it as a way of proving her worth and usefulness to the vampire council. That story starts with a bang but gets a weaker resolution that I expected although its consequences are serious enough. I expected more from it, but it got overshadowed by the other storyline.

In this book Risa receives a gift and her unwillingness to follow Hunter's rules 'earns' her yet another shadow (in the next book a Cazador will probably follow her).
The thing about Risa I really like is that she still has a lot to learn. She was taught to fight by the best, but she is well aware that is not always enough. She doesn't miraculously know everything right away.

I could nitpick, of course, but I won't. If you binge read this certain repetitions are unavoidable and my enjoyment was simply too great to start nitpicking now. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I had not read the first book darkness unbound so it took me a few pages to get straight was each form was, aedh, razig, razon etc. But after I figured it out the book took me on a wild adventure. It was nice to have brief appearances by Riley Jensen, Quinn & Rohan along with a few others.
The third book in this series, Darkness Devours will be out July 2012. I look forward to the next book. If you liked the Riley Jensen series you will want to read this Dark Angel series.

Risa will go to any lengths to avenge her mother’s murder—even if it means making a pact with the most evil vampire she’s ever met. Lethal and powerful, Madeline Hunter is leader of the vampire council, and will put her resources behind finding the killer—for a price. The venerable vampire requires the assistance of Risa’s psychic powers. Quid pro quo.

Someone—or something—is targeting the elders of the local council, cursing the immortal vampires to rapidly age, sink into madness, and die. Risa must track down the vengeful being responsible. But Risa’s father, a rogue Aedh priest, also enlists her in a dangerous mission. And not even the great Madeline Hunter may be able to protect her from the shadowy forces that desire nothing less than Risa’s destruction.
  oldriverbooks | Mar 2, 2015 |
Darkness Rising opens with Risa's father forcefully ordering her to find the keys that he created to open the gates to hell. Nice guy, yeah? Then Risa is essentially blackmailed by the head of the Directorate, Madeline Hunter, into doing Hunter's dirty work in exchange for help solving Dia's murder. Considering that's all crammed into the first chapter, you'd think that the action would be nonstop . . . and yet, not so much. At least it felt slow to me.

It may have been because I listened to this one in audio, but I found myself oddly unable to focus on the story and probably missed a good quarter of it from zoning out on the narration. The big things that I was worried about while reading the first book came to pass: (1) Risa continued to trust the wrong guy, Lucian. He reminds me of a certain snakelike character from the Riley Jensen, Guardian series, and I don't much like him. (2) Risa failed to see what her reaper, Azrael, was thinking. He clearly has a thing for her, but she is only seeing her own perception of his actions and beliefs and not understanding why he is perpetually frustrated with her. Come on, girl, get it together!

It's a little frustrating to see Risa repeating so many of Riley's mistakes, especially while she notes that Riley had spoken to her about these things. Risa trusts the wrong people, is ill-prepared because she lets people rush her and boss her around, and doesn't ask the right people for help because she is too worried about them getting hurt, even if their expertise means that they are more likely to not be hurt than she is. I wanted to shake her a few times.

You know what else is frustrating? The lack of sex. Heh. There are a couple of scenes, but I was really hoping that this series would be a bit hotter than it's turning out to be.

Here's what did work: Risa is clearly starting to come into her own. In Darkness Unbound, Risa is constantly turning to others for help because she doesn't have the skills or knowledge to do it on her own. That's not necessarily a bad idea, true, but it was nice to see her take a more prominent role in her investigation. The sword she acquires doesn't hurt her new badass image, either.

Given my love of the prequel series, it's fairly obvious that I'm not going to give up after one lackluster installment. Really, it's not bad, it's just not quite up to par with expectations. Here's hoping that the rest of the series takes us on a sexy, fast-paced ride! ( )
  HopelessBibliophile | Jan 6, 2015 |

Keri Arthurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maarleveld, SaskiaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Andreozzi, LynnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

From the Paperback edition.

Risa agrees to use her powers to find out who is causing the immortal vampires to age rapidly in exchange for assistance in avenging her mother's murder from Madeline Hunter, the powerful leader of the vampire council.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,082,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible