Darkness Rising by Keri Arthur

Series: Dark Angels (2)

1571076,544 (4)2

3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I had not read the first book darkness unbound so it took me a few pages to get straight was each form was, aedh, razig, razon etc. But after I figured it out the book took me on a wild adventure. It was nice to have brief appearances by Riley Jensen, Quinn & Rohan along with a few others.
The third book in this series, Darkness Devours will be out July 2012. I look forward to the next book. If you liked the Riley Jensen series you will want to read this Dark Angel series.

Risa will go to any lengths to avenge her mother’s murder—even if it means making a pact with the most evil vampire she’s ever met. Lethal and powerful, Madeline Hunter is leader of the vampire council, and will put her resources behind finding the killer—for a price. The venerable vampire requires the assistance of Risa’s psychic powers. Quid pro quo.

Someone—or something—is targeting the elders of the local council, cursing the immortal vampires to rapidly age, sink into madness, and die. Risa must track down the vengeful being responsible. But Risa’s father, a rogue Aedh priest, also enlists her in a dangerous mission. And not even the great Madeline Hunter may be able to protect her from the shadowy forces that desire nothing less than Risa’s destruction.
  oldriverbooks | Mar 2, 2015 |
Darkness Rising opens with Risa's father forcefully ordering her to find the keys that he created to open the gates to hell. Nice guy, yeah? Then Risa is essentially blackmailed by the head of the Directorate, Madeline Hunter, into doing Hunter's dirty work in exchange for help solving Dia's murder. Considering that's all crammed into the first chapter, you'd think that the action would be nonstop . . . and yet, not so much. At least it felt slow to me.

It may have been because I listened to this one in audio, but I found myself oddly unable to focus on the story and probably missed a good quarter of it from zoning out on the narration. The big things that I was worried about while reading the first book came to pass: (1) Risa continued to trust the wrong guy, Lucian. He reminds me of a certain snakelike character from the Riley Jensen, Guardian series, and I don't much like him. (2) Risa failed to see what her reaper, Azrael, was thinking. He clearly has a thing for her, but she is only seeing her own perception of his actions and beliefs and not understanding why he is perpetually frustrated with her. Come on, girl, get it together!

It's a little frustrating to see Risa repeating so many of Riley's mistakes, especially while she notes that Riley had spoken to her about these things. Risa trusts the wrong people, is ill-prepared because she lets people rush her and boss her around, and doesn't ask the right people for help because she is too worried about them getting hurt, even if their expertise means that they are more likely to not be hurt than she is. I wanted to shake her a few times.

You know what else is frustrating? The lack of sex. Heh. There are a couple of scenes, but I was really hoping that this series would be a bit hotter than it's turning out to be.

Here's what did work: Risa is clearly starting to come into her own. In Darkness Unbound, Risa is constantly turning to others for help because she doesn't have the skills or knowledge to do it on her own. That's not necessarily a bad idea, true, but it was nice to see her take a more prominent role in her investigation. The sword she acquires doesn't hurt her new badass image, either.

Given my love of the prequel series, it's fairly obvious that I'm not going to give up after one lackluster installment. Really, it's not bad, it's just not quite up to par with expectations. Here's hoping that the rest of the series takes us on a sexy, fast-paced ride! ( )
  HopelessBibliophile | Jan 6, 2015 |
I found this second book very slow. It took me forever to finish it, and I only did it because I didn't want it to carry on into the new year. I have to say Risa was more interesting as a child than she is as an adult. ( )
  DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This action-packed sequel to Darkness Unbound explores more of Risa’s relationships with Azriel and an equally dark and dangerous world.

Opening Sentence: The house still smelled of death.

The Review:

There is really no way I can start off this review without a giant spoiler from the first book in the series, Darkness Unbound, but since it is already mentioned in the synopsis it is fair game. Two months have passed since Risa’s mother was brutally murdered. In order to find out the identity of the murderer, Risa enters into an uneasy deal with Madeline Hunter, the leader of the Directorate. The Directorate has the resources that will help Risa find the murderer but in so doing Risa will be running jobs on the side for Madeline or else the Directorate will no longer look into her mother’s murder.

Risa’s father confronts her with the clue to find the first key to open or lock the gates to the other side. Everyone (good, bad and questionable) wants that key from Risa while she would rather just keep it hidden and she is given no choice but to find the key. Meanwhile, vampires from the Vampire Council are rapidly aging and dying. Madeline forces Risa to look into who is cursing the vampires before too many of them die. Risa’s relationship with the sexy, fallen Aedh, Lucian, is still purely sexual while the relationship with the equally sexy and mysterious Azriel is still complicated but he still obediently follows Risa and helps her stay alive.

Risa feels like a puppet strung between too many people that want to use her. Above all Risa wants to keep her friends safe so she does whatever she can to protect them. Risa still acts impulsively at times not exactly thinking through the outcomes before she launches into her search for both of her tasks. She is strong for the lessons she learns.

The worldbuilding just continues in Darkness Rising. This world just keep expanding, especially the ghostly realm. I enjoyed this world a whole lot more than I did in the first book. I think I understood all the action and the different people that are after Risa. This novel is action packed and sucks you right in. The plot moves right along and there is some resolution to the overall storyline but it is still left wide open in the end. Because of the continuing storyline this is one series that I think needs to be read altogether.

Overall, Darkness Rising is full of interesting mythology and worlds. This is a dark, sexy and engaging world. If you are interested in a paranormal world set in Australia, then definitely check out this series.

Notable Scene:

He raised the sword, offering it to me hilt first. “Take her.”

I wrapped my hands around the night-dark hilt. Fire flared along the blade’s edge, thick and dangerous. The hilt itself felt warm against my palm, and something within it pulsed, as if it had a life and a heart of its own.

And given it was forged during a demon’s death, maybe it did.

I licked my lips, the raised by gaze to Azriel’s. “Now what?”

“Place the tip against your stomach.”

I closed my eyes against the rush of fear and did as he asked. The metal hummed—a sound that vibrated through every nerve ending.

“Now we perform the bonding ritual. Repeat after me; we are one mind, me and thee.”

I repeated the words softly. Energy stirred, caressing my skin and making the small hairs at the back of my neck rise.

“We are one spirit, me and thee.”

The power in the air increased as I repeated the words, crackling like lightning through the darkness, until it felt as if I were standing in the eye of the storm.

“We are one body, me and thee, spirit within flesh, bound together until life is over and the soul has moved on.”

I repeated the sentence. The words seemed to hang in the air, electric and alive. The sword burned against my palms, throbbing with life and hunger.

“Now,” Azriel said softly, “make the sacrifice.”

FTC Advisory: I purchased my own copy of Darkness Rising. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Aug 27, 2012 |

Keri Arthurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maarleveld, SaskiaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Andreozzi, LynnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

From the Paperback edition.

Risa agrees to use her powers to find out who is causing the immortal vampires to age rapidly in exchange for assistance in avenging her mother's murder from Madeline Hunter, the powerful leader of the vampire council.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,730,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible