dismiss

Autumn: Disintegration

by David Moody

Series: Autumn (4)

"Forty days have passed since the world died. Billions of corpses walk the Earth. Everything is disintegrating... A group of eleven men and woman have survived against the odds. On almost a daily basis, they attack the dead with brutal ferocity, tearing through them with utter contempt. Somewhere nearby, out of sight and out of earshot, are another group who have adopted a completely different survival strategy. Where the others have used brutality and strength, these people have demonstrated subtlety, planning and tactics. A series of horrific events force the two groups together. Backed into a corner and surrounded by hundreds of thousands of corpses, they all know that their final battle with the dead is about to begin. Do they attack first, or is it time to take a different approach? The decision splits the group, and with the lives of everyone at stake, no-one is prepared to back down. Time is running out, and it's no longer clear whether the biggest threat comes from outside the walls of the shelter or from within"--… (more)

Autumn: Disintegration - David Moody *****

The fourth book in the brilliant Autumn series. These aren’t my normal type of reading material but I have been hooked since picking up the first instalment a few months ago. I won’t go into the history of how the world is in the middle of an apocalypse, but sufficed to say that the last scraps of the human race are still struggling to survive whilst surrounded by thousands of the undead.

Disintegration is set two months after the initial disaster and strange things are starting to happen to the bodies, no longer just stumbling along they seem to have developed a sort of low intelligence and almost a pack mentality. The survivors this time happen upon a large hotel where the surviving occupants have created a number of diversions to keep the dead distracted and away from their living space. However the two groups of survivors have managed to live by adopting very different strategies and cracks soon begin to emerge in the community with some wanting to leave for new supplies and happy to ‘kill’ the zombies, while the others want to maintain the silence and live sparsely.... can a compromise be reached or will their existence be placed under threat?

Although linked to the previous books, Disintegration could be read as a standalone novel but I think that to fully enjoy the storyline the background information needs to be read first. As with the books predecessors, if you go into the novel with an open mind, you will find a fast paced and engaging tale that drags you along with it and you will not be disappointed. Moody really does write with an energy that is infectious and the pages melt away. ( )
  Bridgey | Jul 5, 2017 |
I love this series! In the 4th book of the reprinted Autumn series we meet a new band of survivors living in a building that was undergoing demolition. They struggle to survive with increasingly aggressive zombies. I can't wait for the last book where it seems this group will meet with the survivors from the previous books.

The story is realistic, thrilling, agressive, and the zombie fighting is a bit savage. When people of very different personalities have to live on top of each other and struggle with limited supplies the real survival starts and people can be just as scary as the zombies. ( )

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Another exiting installment. A good read. ( )
  thejohnsmith | Nov 15, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

Autumn (4)

David Moody is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,926,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible