The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books by Walter…

The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books (edition 2012)

by Walter Moers

Member:bryanoz
Title:The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books
Authors:Walter Moers
Info:Harvill Secker, Hardcover
Rating:***1/2

The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

German (6)  English (5)  All languages (11)
Okay, I felt really cheated by this half book ploy. This book ends when he gets to the labyrinth of dreaming books. The whole book takes place in Bookholm in a book-long digression on puppetism. Now it is still Walter Moers and it definitely has its moments of being very funny and clever, but the longueurs. The are about a hundred different types of puppetism and hardly any of this book features the bookstores and basically books at all, it is all puppets, puppets, puppets. I for one, was not sold on puppets, in a book, which I note, I am reading about puppets. Perhaps if I were seeing the puppets as described it would be worth it, so write a puppet show. You have to wait for the next book to get back to the labyrinth of dreaming books, so the title is entirely a misnomer. There were hints of a contractual obligation problem, as if the puppet digression took so long he had to split the book into two books to meet his contract. If so, poorly done Mr. Moers and poorly done Overlook Press. ( )
  kylekatz | Dec 31, 2013 |
As usual, Moers wrote an amazing book full of unique characters and wonderful illustrations. I was excited to revisit Bookholm with Optimus Yarnspinner, 200 years after the fire. His descriptions of the rebuilt city gave me a great image of it, but I have to say, this book didn't quite live up to my expectations. It's called Labyrinth of Dreaming books, but (semi-spoiler) he doesn't enter the catacombs again until the last few pages of the books, and that's where you find out there's going to be a third book. I felt like this book was just a very long set-up for book three. While I enjoyed reading about the amazing play that Yarnspinner's book and first adventure to Bookholm inspired, the lengthy chapters about Puppetism afterwards did start to bore me. I felt like the second half of the book was a strange study on Puppetism and it's history, and I wonder how vital all that information really was. Hopefully the payout comes in the third book. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jul 2, 2013 |
I really liked most of the first half . There were parts that seemed to carry on longer than necessary. It wasn't until the CHAPTERS of describing the play in the second half of the book where I wanted to hit the fast forward button. One chapter about the play would have been enough. (it was like trying to remember everything that happened in City of Dreaming Books!) And then the whole thing about the different TYPES of puppetry?? Could have definitely done without that! Afterwards though, it picked back up and I loved it again.......and then then you read the words on the card and want to drop your head on something heavy because it's ending right when it should be starting!! I'm really hoping the actual story (ie: Part 2 of Labyrinth of Dreaming Books) come out soon otherwise I may have to re-read the two books again just to remember where the story left off! ( )
1 vote jovemako | Mar 25, 2013 |
This claims to be a fantasy novel, but fails to make its case. A novel has a setting, characters, and plot. This book has a setting, and a couple characters who talk to each other about the setting. But from front to back, nothing happens. ( )
  Larxol | Feb 11, 2013 |
The first half or so was fine--full of the wimsy that I read Moers for, and lots of biblio references as in The City of Dreaming books. Without going into spoilers, the second half reminded me of Moby Dick, with its lengthy departures from the plot to discuss whaleing.
Also, the book feels like it is purely a setup for a third book, and ends in a shameless cliffhanger.

While I probably will purchase the sequel once it's written and out, it'll be mainly because I'm a completionist ( )
1 vote Beorn_se_Bacaire | Nov 15, 2012 |

Walter Moersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brownjohn, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Darkman once in olden days did set fair Bookholm town ablaze. The crackling flames to heaven rose unquenchable by any hose. Book after book to fire fell prey until the town in ruins lay. And yet, as year succeeded year, Bookholm began to reappear. -Bookholmian Nursery Rhyme
Here the story continues.

"It has been more than two hundred years since Bookholm was destroyed by a devastating fire, as told in Moers's The City of Dreaming Books. Optimus Yarnspinner, hailed as Zamonia's greatest writer, is on vacation in Lindworm Castle when a disturbing message reaches him, and he must return to Bookholm to investigate a mystery. The magnificently rebuilt city has once again become a metropolis of storytelling and the book trade. Yarnspinner encounters old friends and new denizens of the city-and the shadowy 'Invisible Theater.'"--Publisher's website.… (more)

16 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,335,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible