Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Pathways by Jeri Taylor

It was a good read but it could have been better. I felt the strength of the various stories really varied. I really like Chakotay, Neelix, Kes and Tuvok's stories, but B'lanna's and Toms were pretty bad. I actually skipped chunks of Tom's story because it was boring. And I found it completely implausible that B'lanna was going on at length about what it is was like to go through puberty and having a crush on Chakotay, in front of Chakotay and a bunch of her male co-workers. Hearing about their times in the Maquis was cool, but overall I was little disappointed with this one. I felt the Janeway book, Mosaics was better. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |
Pathways is a well-written story that expands upon the background of the major characters. Some are well known through the tv series, but others brought some welcome stories. The stories are told in the context of the character's imprisonment on an alien planet. ( )
  neverstopreading | Mar 30, 2018 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
Decent views of the various backstories
PLOT OR PREMISE:
The Voyager crew are separated from the ship and captured by an alien race. The crew are placed in a prison camp full of various races. While awaiting rescue by Captain Janeway, the members tell stories from their pasts to each other at night to help pass the time.
WHAT I LIKED:
Chakotay's tale is of his rejection of his tribe's ways and embracing the Starfleet ideals, and then joining the Maquis to chase the Cardassians. Harry Kim's focuses on his privileged upbringing, discovering Starfleet hikers, meeting Boothbie, and his rough adjustment at the Academy. Kes' tale is a bit odd, seems off from her character on the show, but covers her short life before meeting Neelix (told through some sort of psychic link with her essence that has already left Voyager) including pushing the Elders to reveal the history of the Caretaker and her decision to explore the surface. Tuvok's backstory includes his double career with Starfleet, namely first joining Starfleet as a young man, and then leaving Starfleet, returning home to raise a family, having a spiritual quest in the desert, and deciding to rejoin Starfleet, reviewing Janeway's first mission as part of his duties, and then being posted to her ship only to butt heads repeatedly with her over her impulsive nature.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
I wasn't totally comfortable with B'Elanna's story about never being part of the life of either Klingons or humans, her decision to leave Starfleet Academy and work on a freighter, and meeting Chakotay and Paris in the Maquis. It seems at odds with her very Klingon personality at the start of Voyager, as if she didn't have much experience with humans. Yet the backstory talks about even her first serious boyfriend having been human. Paris' story doesn't reveal much, it's mostly rehash of excerpts from other episodes -- his relationship with his Admiral father, joining Starfleet and starting a ski team, an chance to be the pilot for the Enterprise, an accident with his flight team (similar to the character he played on TNG episode with Wesley Crusher), his joining the Maquis, his imprisonment for firing on a Starfleet ship to protect the Maquis, and finally joining Voyager. Neelix's story probably had the most potential as being different and unique, i.e. growing up on a quiet planet on the edge of war and the loss of his family and trading partners, and then meeting Voyager's crew, but the story went nowhere.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Apr 16, 2016 |
I had always wondered about the past of the crew of the Voyager. Who were they, where did they come from? How did they get on that ship together. I ran across this book in the library and immediately knew I wanted to read it.

I learned a lot of back-story which allowed me to appreciate the crew at a deeper level. When I watched the series or read other books, sometimes it was easier to see why they did/do what the did/do.

Voyager fans may or may not appreciate this one, but as for me, it is one of my favorites. ( )
  busy91 | Aug 11, 2009 |
Sometimes I roll my eyes at myself.
  ptzop | Nov 28, 2008 |
For
Andrew and Gina
Tom Paris was well aware that bringing a shuttle into a planet's atmosphere was easy if you followed procedure; it only became challenging - and interesting - if you deviated from Starfleet's  carefully regulated system.

A deadly encounter with hostile aliens leaves Cpt Janeway's crew separated from the Starship Voyager and slowly starving to death in a disease-ridden prison camp. To keep up  their determination  as they plot their escape, the crew shares with each other the unlikely paths that brought them all to the USS Voyager and the Delta Quadrand.
These are the personal stories of the command crew of the USS Voyager: a fair-haired youth who seemed destined for greatness...or disgrace; a trouble half-human woman who seemed at home nowhere in the galaxy; a traveler and treasure hunter who found the greatest prize of all; a naive young man who lost his love in pursuit of his dreams; a Vulcan who formed a surprising bond with a human woman of courage and passion; a child-woman whose boundless curiosity led to a strange new world of marvels and dangers, and the man who is perhaps closest of all to Janeway, the man whose unspoken dedication may hold the key to her survival...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671026267, Paperback)

Jeri Taylor, cocreator of the TV series Star Trek: Voyager, examined the life of Captain Katherine Janeway in Mosaic. Now she returns to the U.S.S. Voyager to tell the story of the ragtag misfits who became the sterling crew of Janeway's ill-fated starship. A hostile alien encounter leaves Voyager's crew stranded in a horrific prison camp. They share their life stories to pass the time, and end up a closer-knit group of friends. The autobiographies of Chakotay, Harry Kim, Tom Paris, B'Ellana, Seven of Nine, Neelix, Tuvok, and Kes will thrill any Star Trek fan looking for the missing chapters in their favorite characters' lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

In her acclaimed novel Mosaic, Jeri Taylor explored the previously unrevealed past of Captain Kathryn Janeway. Now, Pathways traces the winding roads that have led Janeway's fellow officers and closest friends to what may be the greatest crisis of their long journey home. A deadly encounter with hostile aliens has left Captain Janeway's crew separated from the Starship Voyager and slowly starving to death in a disease-ridden alien prison camp. To keep up their determinations as they plot their escape, the crew shares with each other the unlikely paths that brought them all to the U.S.S. Voyager and the Delta Quadrant. They began as individuals, following very different pathways, but together, under the leadership of one remarkable woman, they have become one of the finest teams in the known universe -- the crew of the U.S.S. Voyager.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,454,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible