Patience and Sarah by Isabel Miller

Patience and Sarah (1969)

by Isabel Miller

So sweet and innocent, but in its day quite the must read (there were so few books dealing openly with love between women). ( )
  jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |
Patience and Sarah is a classic lesbian love story about two women who fall in love despite society's pressure to get married. It's notable in that it has a happy ending, where they get what they want. A lot of lesbian literature of the time is missing the happy endings.

It's an easy, sweet read. The two women meet and fall in love which is quite charming. They face the usual amount of pressure from family and friends, both grow and become stronger. What I liked about it is the way the equality of their union is shown. They are shown as partners, more so as the story progresses. At times one will take the lead, but it shifts between them so they avoid becoming a man and a woman. It is idealised, shown to be a perfect relationship with all models of male/female relationships being oppresive and damaging. It does read a little like a fairy tale. There are obsticles but they're not really a problem to overcome.

It's fun, sweet and easy to read. Worth the effort though nothing earth moving. ( )
  TPauSilver | Aug 2, 2012 |
Set in New England in the early 19th century, Patience and Sarah depicts the arduous journey of two unlikely lovers as they struggle to break free from social conventions and their own doubts to find 'a place for us'. It is much better written - and infinitely sexier - than the more widely known lesbian classic Rubyfruit Jungle. An undervalued treasure. ( )
  whirled | Apr 14, 2011 |
When I was 16 and finally able to drive on my own, I went to the library in a town 20 miles away from my own to find a book that would validate what I was feeling. This is the book I found. Thank God for it. And thank God for the library that had this book on their shelves. ( )
2 vote lori_ayre | Feb 24, 2011 |
Difficult to rate seeing as when it was written. Was enjoyable. ( )
  kellyhatch | May 16, 2010 |
To
Miss Wilson & Miss Brundidge
who, quite a while ago, lived something
like it, this book is lovingly
dedicated
One way Martha wanted me out of her kitchen, but another way she didn't want me burning wood to keep just myself warm.
"Patience and Sarah" originally published as "A Place for Us"

In the early 1800's, Patience and Sarah fall in love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449210073, Mass Market Paperback)

In the early nineteenth century, in a puritanical New England town, two women fall in love. With no one to guide or support them, Patience and Sarah try to follow their hearts. Defying society and history, they buy a farm and discover they can live together, away from the world that had sought to limit them and their love . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:19 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,291,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible