The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray: An…

The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray: An Illustrated Study

by Surendar Chawdhary

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Surendar Chawdry, The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray.
This illustrated study is absolutely wonderful. It is the written version of the Director’s commentary so common on many DVDs today. Chawdry presents a deep, purposeful commentary that expresses the technical side of film-making. If you are looking for insights into film-making and the personal commentary of the artist, this book is for you! It documents film as art.

The illustrations guide you through the film along with descriptions that include cultural insights usually not contained in most storyboards. This book chronicles a way of working that is insightful and helps you understand the artists’ passion behind the film. I recommend this book for anyone interested in the subject, but more for those who use story-boarding as part of their tools or use graphic illustrations as part of their craft.

According to the book, Mr. Ray began to make films during the 1950’s where contemporaries outside of his culture had made their mark in the film medium by telling stories about their countries. Without formal education in film, Mr. Ray created a feature film considered a classic. As a result of reading this book, I am interested in seeing this film, Pather Panchali (song of the road) and other feature films, short subjects, and documentaries by Mr. Ray preserved by the Satyajit Ray Film and Study Center.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to review this wonderfully engaging book. ( )
  dtwoodford | Nov 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One of the most detailed analyses of a film I've ever read, and fascinating particularly for anyone who's ever been interested in the arts of cinematography and editing. I only wished that some of the pictures were bigger (as other reviewers suggest, watching the film with book in hand may be the way to go), and I noticed a few awkward phrases here and there -- minor nits in an otherwise compelling work. ( )
  bostonian71 | Nov 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A lovely book, both in form and substance. It is a close reading of Satyajit Ray's classic Indian film Pather Panchali, conducted by close to frame by frame analysis, helped by numerous drawings of the frames in question, and diagrams indicating the camera movements and blocking of the actors. The analysis is from the point of view of a working filmmaker; the director is an Indian filmmaker and student of film, and his emphasis is not academic, though he does note Ray's history and influences. His emphasis is on how each shot is constructed and how that serves the purpose of the film Ray is making. I would think this an ideal introductory text for film students for that reason.

I intend to read through it with the film when I have the opportunity to do so.
  Capybara_99 | Oct 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray, an Illustrated Study by Surendar Chawdhary " came to me in late September, several months overdue (and, since others have already reviewed it in depth, I will be brief).

This is a book rich in its content. The Foreword, Preface and Introduction are splendid; the Appendix has two articles by Ray. There is also an extensive Bibliography.

I'm charmed by this note from its author : "For my little brother Satish Chawdhary, who has a way of arm-twisting you into doing anything. Even writing a book. " (His Acknowledgments show that he, too, can be persuasive.)

As I read the body of the book I was both intrigued and frustrated. I could understand what was happening (and could appreciate the nuances of the technique), but I wanted to see the film itself. (Notes on imb say the film took five years to complete due to money problems but its success let Ray quit his job at an ad agency.)

~~~I hope I can see the movie! Until then I will, sometimes, reread a chapter and let my mind's eye take the place of a movie screen. ( )
  Esta1923 | Sep 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Satyajit Ray has been a favorite filmmaker of mine since I first saw the Apu trilogy, of which Pather Panchali is the first film, back in the 1970s. It was not a new film then, of course; it came out in 1955, bringing India onto the stage of world cinema. It clearly shows the influence of such neoralists as Kurasawa and Italy’s De Sica (Bicycle Thieves). Unbelievably, (as I learned from this book) not only was it Ray’s first work, it was also his first experience in filmmaking. Not only professionally, either. Ray was entirely self-taught, and had never either formally studied film or worked on any.
The film is seriously of the auteur style of the time-Ray not only wrote the script, he also composed the score and, as writer Chawdhary tells us, even created the publicity material. From beginning to end, this film is the product of Ray’s imagination and craft. And it went on to win an award at the Cannes Film Festival, establish, as I said, India cinema as serious art, and become in its own right, a masterpiece.
The story is based on an Indian book, a classic in India, and tells of a young boy, Apu, his sister, Durga, and their parents, a mother who struggles to feed and take care of the children and a father who means well but is too much a dreamer to make ends meet. They dream of educating their son and making a good marriage for their daughter, but even this ordinary, small dreams prove beyond their means.
I won [book:The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray: An Illustrated Study|12651788] by [author:Surendar Chawdhary|5214782] from LibraryThing. I love everything about the book, its cover, the weight and size of the book, the textual contents and the illustration (hand-drawn, black and white sketches of many individual frames from the film). I had a wonderful time reading the book despite its highly technical and close examination of the film. Chawdhary, a director himself of short films and a film professor, examines the general structure of the film as well as many specific choices regarding lighting, stage business, frame composition, and other directorial decisions.
After reading through the book once, I felt unsatisfied. So I read the book again, this time while watching the film on YouTube. I had forgotten how powerful and wonderful the film itself is. It remains amazing and immediate even 60 years after its original release. The music is beautifully composed and played by another favorite of mine, Ravi Shankar, and enhances the film immeasurably.
Despite being filmed on a tiny budget, with few resources or even professional actors, I was blown away by its beauty.
I am grateful to have won this book. I recommend for lover of film in general or Ray's work in particular (there are two articles written by Ray from the time of the filming) or people who are fascinated by the process of creation. I feel enriched by my reading of the work. ( )
  EllieNYC | Sep 23, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray by Surendar Chawdhary was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible