The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray: An…

The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray: An Illustrated Study

by Surendar Chawdhary

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in acquiring a good analytical understanding what goes into a film. Ray was a self-educated filmmaker, but brilliantly intuitive about the language of movies. The book walks readers through the Pather Panchali, scene by scene, explaining the hows and whys of each directorial choice. The illustrations, too, are finely executed and essential to a book of this sort. I would welcome other books of this sort. The only problem that I can see is in not in the book, but in the difficulty of finding a copy of the movie itself. ( )
  skippersan | Feb 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Surendar Chawdry, The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray.
This illustrated study is absolutely wonderful. It is the written version of the Director’s commentary so common on many DVDs today. Chawdry presents a deep, purposeful commentary that expresses the technical side of film-making. If you are looking for insights into film-making and the personal commentary of the artist, this book is for you! It documents film as art.

The illustrations guide you through the film along with descriptions that include cultural insights usually not contained in most storyboards. This book chronicles a way of working that is insightful and helps you understand the artists’ passion behind the film. I recommend this book for anyone interested in the subject, but more for those who use story-boarding as part of their tools or use graphic illustrations as part of their craft.

According to the book, Mr. Ray began to make films during the 1950’s where contemporaries outside of his culture had made their mark in the film medium by telling stories about their countries. Without formal education in film, Mr. Ray created a feature film considered a classic. As a result of reading this book, I am interested in seeing this film, Pather Panchali (song of the road) and other feature films, short subjects, and documentaries by Mr. Ray preserved by the Satyajit Ray Film and Study Center.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to review this wonderfully engaging book. ( )
  dtwoodford | Nov 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One of the most detailed analyses of a film I've ever read, and fascinating particularly for anyone who's ever been interested in the arts of cinematography and editing. I only wished that some of the pictures were bigger (as other reviewers suggest, watching the film with book in hand may be the way to go), and I noticed a few awkward phrases here and there -- minor nits in an otherwise compelling work. ( )
  bostonian71 | Nov 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A lovely book, both in form and substance. It is a close reading of Satyajit Ray's classic Indian film Pather Panchali, conducted by close to frame by frame analysis, helped by numerous drawings of the frames in question, and diagrams indicating the camera movements and blocking of the actors. The analysis is from the point of view of a working filmmaker; the director is an Indian filmmaker and student of film, and his emphasis is not academic, though he does note Ray's history and influences. His emphasis is on how each shot is constructed and how that serves the purpose of the film Ray is making. I would think this an ideal introductory text for film students for that reason.

I intend to read through it with the film when I have the opportunity to do so.
  Capybara_99 | Oct 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray, an Illustrated Study by Surendar Chawdhary " came to me in late September, several months overdue (and, since others have already reviewed it in depth, I will be brief).

This is a book rich in its content. The Foreword, Preface and Introduction are splendid; the Appendix has two articles by Ray. There is also an extensive Bibliography.

I'm charmed by this note from its author : "For my little brother Satish Chawdhary, who has a way of arm-twisting you into doing anything. Even writing a book. " (His Acknowledgments show that he, too, can be persuasive.)

As I read the body of the book I was both intrigued and frustrated. I could understand what was happening (and could appreciate the nuances of the technique), but I wanted to see the film itself. (Notes on imb say the film took five years to complete due to money problems but its success let Ray quit his job at an ad agency.)

~~~I hope I can see the movie! Until then I will, sometimes, reread a chapter and let my mind's eye take the place of a movie screen. ( )
  Esta1923 | Sep 27, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Pather Panchali of Satyajit Ray by Surendar Chawdhary was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,220,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible