Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (2)

6,205231654 (3.85)213
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A girl's journey through a dystopian future society.

English (228)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (232)
This is pretty much the same story as the [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358962036s/24770.jpg|2895388] book. But reversed. This time, she starts out Pretty, and begins the journey to becoming ugly once again.

Part way through, she escapes the city that is harshing her groove, along with some of her friends (just as she did in the Uglies book). The only difference is, this time she's not going to betray anyone! But maybe someone else will? Ya think? No way. Couldn't be.

This book is still more interesting, albeit slightly, than the first book in the series. Mostly because this book creates just a tad more character and depth.

And, oh boy! Now, Tally gets to be Special. Whooptie-freaking-doo. I'm so excited for the next book. See my face? This is my grumpy cat face. My I really don't give a flying fuck face. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
My favorite from the Uglies series for now. Loved it! Full of emotions that made me stay awake during the night. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
The language used by the characters was difficult to get through even though it accurately depicted the thought processes of being "pretty" and the implications of that societal structure. I am continuing to read the series as I hope that the series as a whole will be better than the sum of its parts. So far, I am not overly enthralled with the books as stand alone titles.

Having said that, the premise is intriguing and could lead to great discussion about how systems, governmental or otherwise seek to control their populace. I also find this future society's versions of our current day destruction of the natural world fascinating and would love to debate which "solution" is more destructive.

Although, I find it impossible to believe that anyone would die in their car because the oil caught a virus and they simply wouldn't get out and walk. That was just ludicrous! We "Rusties" are NOT that dumb! Obviously this society does not have the full story of what caused the collapse of the Rusty society. ( )
  literaryperuser | Feb 7, 2015 |
I read Uglies in print and really enjoyed it, so I decided to listen to the audiobook for Pretties. The story wasn't as compelling as Uglies, but what really made this book average for me was the narrator. I could not stand the way she read the story. She was nasal-y and her character voices were not age-appropriate. I'll likely read Specials, but I'll stick to print. ( )
  hollishter | Nov 10, 2014 |
Not as good as Uglies. I'm not sure why it seems like every female character can't get along with Tally and why David, despite being the former love interest of Tally, still seems to not really be all there.

I did find it to be a bit more preachy than Uglies, which kind of dragged the story down for me. But I did like seeing more of the world, Andrew and his crew have me interested, and Zane does make for a better love interest.

I think my major gripe is how Peris was shafted in this novel. In Uglies, Tally couldn't wait to be with her best friend forever, but now that she's with him we still don't see him. I think he gets as much screen time as he did in Uglies.

So when Tally was disappointed with his choice and realized that things couldn't be the same with them anymore, I didn't really care. Despite this, I kind of like his non-bubblyness. I hope we get to see more from him in Specials. Not as a love interest, I hope to God that doesn't happen, but just something. ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
The kind of book I loved reading at 15 or 16: damned fine science fiction and damned fine yarns.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Sleeping Beauty

Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless.

- John Ruskin, The Stones of Venice, I
To the Australian SF community for all your acceptance and support.
Getting dressed was always the hardest part of the afternoon.
Part II: The Cure

and kisses are a better fate

than wisdom

- e.e. cummings, "since feeling is first"
Part III: Outside

The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.

- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Gorgeous. Popular.

Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:51 -0400)

Tally's transformation to perfect and popular including her totally hot boyfriend is everything she always wanted. But beneath the fun and freedom something is wrong and now Tally has to fight for her life because what she knows has put her in danger with the authorities.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,215,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible