Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A girl's journey through a dystopian future society.

English (229)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (233)
When I started reading this book, I was like "YES! This is what I wanted Uglies to be! Thanks Scott!" Tally's unease in her new life, her nagging feeling that there's something more, something other than partying and being pretty all the time. Suddenly, Tally's shallow self-involved cowardice and dullness which so irritated me in the first book fit perfectly here, and together with the nebulous but unshakable knowledge that there's something more, that being "pretty" isn't everything, isn't all it's cracked up to be but her inability to put her finger on exactly what, serves to make her sympathetic to the max - with the understanding, of course, that she'll learn and grown and grow out of these things.

Right?

Sigh. Sadly not, it turns out.

For a long time I strongly felt that the beginning of this novel should have started the series. You actually care about the viewpoint character, you are shown the disconnect between what she knows subconsciously and what she is told to believe, you get sucked into her life and root for her all the time. Even her love for Zane would have made a great triangle once she got back with David.

However, I am very sorry to say, that is exactly where the problem came in. Suddenly, now that she's all prettied up, now she loves Zane more because, according to Tally, they had 'shared so much'. Sure, they did, and I like Zane a lot too, but David and Tally went through so much more and shared such a special connection that I came to the same conclusion that David did - she was sticking with Zane because he was pretty and he wasn't.

Further, the unconvincing use of anorexia to escape the City, the gratuitous physical mutilation and danger to achieve and maintain a sense of "realness" and release and the overall shallowness - it was all just a little too casual, just a bit too flip. The emotions, consequences and reality of these elements were just nowhere to be found, for me. Further further, the of the point of view character. Oh good grief. She never grows up, never learns anything other than how to make everything work out nicely for herself, never willingly sacrifices anything. No, with her it's all "what's in it for me?" and it frustrated the crap out of me.

I will not be reading the third book, as I'm sure I'll just be further frustrated. I was so hopeful when starting this book that it feels like an extra-large letdown that Tally remained the same shallow, heartless, power-hungry conformist that she always was. ( )
  Leia-Ann | Apr 27, 2015 |
OMG! I'm so disgusted at Shay, I just can't believe her. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
This is pretty much the same story as the [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358962036s/24770.jpg|2895388] book. But reversed. This time, she starts out Pretty, and begins the journey to becoming ugly once again.

Part way through, she escapes the city that is harshing her groove, along with some of her friends (just as she did in the Uglies book). The only difference is, this time she's not going to betray anyone! But maybe someone else will? Ya think? No way. Couldn't be.

This book is still more interesting, albeit slightly, than the first book in the series. Mostly because this book creates just a tad more character and depth.

And, oh boy! Now, Tally gets to be Special. Whooptie-freaking-doo. I'm so excited for the next book. See my face? This is my grumpy cat face. My I really don't give a flying fuck face. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
My favorite from the Uglies series for now. Loved it! Full of emotions that made me stay awake during the night. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
The language used by the characters was difficult to get through even though it accurately depicted the thought processes of being "pretty" and the implications of that societal structure. I am continuing to read the series as I hope that the series as a whole will be better than the sum of its parts. So far, I am not overly enthralled with the books as stand alone titles.

Having said that, the premise is intriguing and could lead to great discussion about how systems, governmental or otherwise seek to control their populace. I also find this future society's versions of our current day destruction of the natural world fascinating and would love to debate which "solution" is more destructive.

Although, I find it impossible to believe that anyone would die in their car because the oil caught a virus and they simply wouldn't get out and walk. That was just ludicrous! We "Rusties" are NOT that dumb! Obviously this society does not have the full story of what caused the collapse of the Rusty society. ( )
  literaryperuser | Feb 7, 2015 |
The kind of book I loved reading at 15 or 16: damned fine science fiction and damned fine yarns.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Sleeping Beauty

Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless.

- John Ruskin, The Stones of Venice, I
To the Australian SF community for all your acceptance and support.
Getting dressed was always the hardest part of the afternoon.
Part II: The Cure

and kisses are a better fate

than wisdom

- e.e. cummings, "since feeling is first"
Part III: Outside

The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.

- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Gorgeous. Popular.

Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:51 -0400)

Tally's transformation to perfect and popular including her totally hot boyfriend is everything she always wanted. But beneath the fun and freedom something is wrong and now Tally has to fight for her life because what she knows has put her in danger with the authorities.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,228,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible