Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A girl's journey through a dystopian future society.

English (224)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (228)
2nd in the series, it is very good. Westerfeld is very good at writing endings that make someone want to rush out and grab the next book in the series.

I am kind of amazed at how good this series is, considering it is a young adult novel. (Sometimes, YA novels have a 'watered down' plot. But I do not feel that way at all with these novels. Kudos!

I was absolutely in anguish over Tally's conflict between David and Zane....and despite the terms they ended on, I can't believe that we won't see him again.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Pretties is in the middle of my least and least favorite book of the Uglies series, and that's fitting, since that's where my feelings towards is lie as well. Some of my favorite moments come in this book, though, which is why I still relatively like it. Enjoyable, but the ending is where everything started going downhill for me. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
My English teacher got me hooked on Uglies and I just had to read the rest of the series. In Uglies Tally Youngblood discovers a place called the Smoke and realizes life is better off not being pretty. A previous Pretty doctor in the Smoke discovered a cure for being pretty. Tally volunteered to turn Pretty and take the medicine.
Once Tally is pretty, she gets accepted into a club called Crim and starts hanging out with a guy named Zane. They were at a party when a Smokie brought Tally the medicine. There are two pills and Tally was scared to do it by herself, so she spilt the medicine with Zane. After taking the medicine Tally realized why she even became pretty. She realized that Zane and her needed to escape. Zane and Tally start trying every possible way to get rid of the bands, that keeps them inside Pretty town. They escaped, but paid a price.
I think Scott Westerfeld had an interesting idea with the Uglies series. I did not enjoy the ending of Pretties or the books that follow. I think Scott Westerfeld should have had a completely different ending. I feel that the first book was amazing and drew in readers, but the second book wasn’t as good. Although the end was a disappointment, Scott Westerfeld explained situations very well. Whenever a fight or deep discussion was occurring, Westerfeld explained it with amazing detail. Since Westerfeld explain these intense situations so well, it made certain parts of the book very interesting.
I think that the whole Uglies series shows how our future lives could end up, if we are not careful. There are abandon Rustie villages, where everyone depended on oil. Then someone poisoned all of the oil, causing almost all of the Rusties to die. If the world doesn’t start reducing its dependency on oil, then we could end up just like the Rusties. Also another important lesson in Pretties is that you need to keep your promises. In Uglies and the beginning of Pretties, Tally struggled with keeping her promises. By the end of Pretties she started to see the truth and understood what it meant to keep promises.
Pretties is an interesting sequel to Uglies, even though Uglies was much better that Pretties. Pretties was quite a disappointment, but it is a good book for middle school students. Although the book wasn’t spectacular, it is worth reading to find out what happens to Tally and all her friends. ( )
  Alyna18 | May 8, 2014 |
"Face it, Tally-wa, you're special."

Perhaps it was because I read Pretties so much after I'd read Uglies, or perhaps it's just that Pretties is more engaging, but the book was actually pretty good. Unfortunately, we start again with the flat, two dimensional characters who aren't very compelling. They're prototypes and characters like Zane work best if you have another model you fit in.

Nonetheless, the plot was pretty fast paced and, in times, rather interesting. It's fun to see how Tally's actions in Uglies got her back and how her own selfishness played right now Dr. Cable's hands. The ending left me curious about Specials, although I've heard it's not as good.

There were times when the book deviated into uninteresting drivel, but it was much shorter than in Uglies. I enjoy seeing Dr. Cable manipulate Tally and everyone around her and perhaps seeing why Special Circumstances does what it does in the next book. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
The kind of book I loved reading at 15 or 16: damned fine science fiction and damned fine yarns.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Sleeping Beauty

Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless.

- John Ruskin, The Stones of Venice, I
To the Australian SF community for all your acceptance and support.
Getting dressed was always the hardest part of the afternoon.
Part II: The Cure

and kisses are a better fate

than wisdom

- e.e. cummings, "since feeling is first"
Part III: Outside

The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.

- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Gorgeous. Popular.

Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:51 -0400)

Tally's transformation to perfect and popular including her totally hot boyfriend is everything she always wanted. But beneath the fun and freedom something is wrong and now Tally has to fight for her life because what she knows has put her in danger with the authorities.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible