Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (2)

Recently added byprivate library, Pinniped23, joyelett, HoffmanAM27, Kougie, RoxiePoxie4
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A girl's journey through a dystopian future society.

English (226)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (230)
Not as good as Uglies. I'm not sure why it seems like every female character can't get along with Tally and why David, despite being the former love interest of Tally, still seems to not really be all there.

I did find it to be a bit more preachy than Uglies, which kind of dragged the story down for me. But I did like seeing more of the world, Andrew and his crew have me interested, and Zane does make for a better love interest.

I think my major gripe is how Peris was shafted in this novel. In Uglies, Tally couldn't wait to be with her best friend forever, but now that she's with him we still don't see him. I think he gets as much screen time as he did in Uglies.

So when Tally was disappointed with his choice and realized that things couldn't be the same with them anymore, I didn't really care. Despite this, I kind of like his non-bubblyness. I hope we get to see more from him in Specials. Not as a love interest, I hope to God that doesn't happen, but just something. ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
We finally get to learn what it's like to be a Pretty. Turns out it's pretty good as long as you don't mind being an air-head.

There are fewer slow spots in Pretties, because even the less exciting parts are fun and the plot is much less predictable than Uglies. The slang is so awful it’s funny, but I think it’s supposed to be.

Uglies hooked me with the world and concept, but I love the characters in Pretties. This book has everything the first one was lacking.

Another to be continued ending. (grumbling)

Uglies- 7 Stars

Pretties- 8 stars

Specials- 7 stars
  mollymortensen | Aug 5, 2014 |
2nd in the series, it is very good. Westerfeld is very good at writing endings that make someone want to rush out and grab the next book in the series.

I am kind of amazed at how good this series is, considering it is a young adult novel. (Sometimes, YA novels have a 'watered down' plot. But I do not feel that way at all with these novels. Kudos!

I was absolutely in anguish over Tally's conflict between David and Zane....and despite the terms they ended on, I can't believe that we won't see him again.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Pretties is in the middle of my least and least favorite book of the Uglies series, and that's fitting, since that's where my feelings towards is lie as well. Some of my favorite moments come in this book, though, which is why I still relatively like it. Enjoyable, but the ending is where everything started going downhill for me. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
The kind of book I loved reading at 15 or 16: damned fine science fiction and damned fine yarns.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Sleeping Beauty

Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless.

- John Ruskin, The Stones of Venice, I
To the Australian SF community for all your acceptance and support.
Getting dressed was always the hardest part of the afternoon.
Part II: The Cure

and kisses are a better fate

than wisdom

- e.e. cummings, "since feeling is first"
Part III: Outside

The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.

- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Gorgeous. Popular.

Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:51 -0400)

Tally's transformation to perfect and popular including her totally hot boyfriend is everything she always wanted. But beneath the fun and freedom something is wrong and now Tally has to fight for her life because what she knows has put her in danger with the authorities.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible