Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A girl's journey through a dystopian future society.

English (250)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All (254)
ok. so on top of all the other stuff i have been reading lately, i became thoroughly engrossed in a series which has not let me down in the slightest. this is a bit long winded, but keep in mind it is in reference to reading three books.. and i am trying REALLY hard not to give away spoilers..

it is hard to write about this book because in the context of the review, the keywords and mannerisms of the characters society seems like nothing but grammar and spelling errors. bear with it though, in the books, you are so washed over with the word use and logic that it actually makes sense in the proper frame.

the Uglies trilogy (now a quadrilogy?) was very engrossing. Book one, Uglies, describes a world where there is no war. there is no famine, hatred, or turmoil. 200-300 years in the past over population, strip mining, clear cutting, genetic engineering of plants and animals laid waste on everything in the world. humans have rebuilt from the ashes after we destroyed ourselves. our generation is referred to as “the rusties” since everything left from our world is covered in rust and falling apart.

Tally Youngblood is 15 years old, and only months away from becoming one of the “pretties”. in this world, to remove all of the dangerous human habits of destruction, you are born and raised by your parents, once you hit a certain age (8 or 9 from what i could tell) you are shipped off to school as an ugly. at the age of 16 you are taken from school where you will be put under the knife and remade as a better person. your bones are ground down and or elongated, you have new muscle tissue added to your body, and you have full facial re-constructive surgery. all “pretties” have a choice on how they look, with in the guidelines of the governments rules of morphology. they effectively remove all extremes in height, hair color, skin color, etc. everyone is similar and there is no need for hatred.

Tally, in waiting for her 16th birthday meets a new friend, Shay, who has no desire to become one of the pretties. a week before their shared birthday/graduation from being uglies, Shay decides to run off to a rumored group of rebels who have shafted the system and stayed ugly, and foregone all efforts to work within the system. Tally however has no desire to join her friend and sticks around for her surge (surgery). her only desire is become pretty and join her friends in New Pretty town, where she can dance and play and enjoy the life she has been programmed to want since birth.

Unfortunately, Tally is roped into a game of social change. she is scooped up by the fearsome and dangerous police force that acts as bogeymen for the government. Special Circumstances (the Specials) only comes forward when needed, generally letting the local police force take care of everything. This being a “Special circumstance” Tally is forced to follow her friend to the encampment of rebels (the Smoke) and betray her friend, and everyone who has escaped so far. if she does not, she will be denies surge and will forever be Ugly. and in this society, this is the worst thing that could ever happen to you.

Book one was so good, that i had an itch to move on to book two immediately. i hate doing that. i love to stretch a series out if possible, and draw out the enjoyment from the story line. so when book one was finished, though i really wanted to move on to the second book, i ramped myself down and read the Real Ultimate Power: The Official Ninja book. Book two immediately followed and when finished i lost all self control and my fingers and eyes forced me to read book three next.. it took about two days with my schedule.. two lousy days.. why couldn’t it last longer… i wasted a great book by reading it too soon..

well, not a waste. damn. it was so good, i had no choice really.. it was in my best interest to read the book. or so i keep telling myself. there is a fourth book. it was written after the trilogy was announced, so it is a bit of an anomaly, thus the trilogy quadrilogy notation above. unfortunately, the book Extras is still in hardback edition, so until it hits paperback, i will have to force myself to wait.. this sucks..

these books, written by Scott Westerfeld, fall into the teen-fiction category. they are written for teens, but the story line and books themselves do not lend themselves only to teens. being thirty years old, i literally could not stop reading these books. if you need a good break from your normal reading schedule, i would throw these in the mix and read them. they all rank around 300 pages of single space small print, so they are not some little read you would use to sturdy the kitchen table. instead, they are full of vibrant ideas, technology, tattoos that i wish were a reality. there were no obvious plot twists that made me think “why am i reading this” or “how predictable” instead, i was often surprised and left feeling “bubbly” as they state in the book.

imagine a world full of barbie dolls being slowly destroyed by barbie’s cyber-punk kid sister that has been kept in the closet for years.

i was sad to come to the end of this series, but glad to know that i will have at least one more book to close it all up in the near future.

anyone who is interested should note that all three of the first books can be bought in a boxed set for under 20 bucks.. this is how i got sucked into them.. a really good price for a nice story line idea turned into one of the best purchases i have made on books in a while. now, i just have to hope that hollywood has not gotten their hands on the thought of movies. these would be thoroughly ruined and not done justice.. read them before someone fucks them up for you… thats all i have to say on the matter.
  JasonBrownPDX | Jun 12, 2017 |
After reading [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #01)|Scott Westerfeld|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358962036s/24770.jpg|2895388] I was not sure I even wanted to try this one. Well, I did and I am still unsure about how I really feel about the book or the series.

This was like a complete replay of Uglies just on the other side of the street or river or whatever the heck it was.

I was so sick of hearing about the Bubbles and the happy perky pretty people by the time I ended this book. I know that one day I will finish this series but it is not high on my too read list. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
I've given this book 4 stars and I must say that I'm waffling as to whether or not to give it 3. I think that I'm going to stick with my original decision because I tend to give high marks to books which make me think about them after I've read them.

I think that the things I dislike about this book is that Tally has become a Pretty and they represent everything I've ever hated about popular, selfish, materialistic and vain people. I know that she does it to try and save her friend, but the first few chapters were really difficult to get into because I felt like I was at a 12 year old's slumber party except with adults. At times, I wanted to jump into the book and start slapping people.

I disliked her treatment of David and I'm really not into love triangles. I find them to be very tedious and somewhat predictable.

I don't have a problem reading YA fiction, but this book felt particularly young, which is why I think that I might have a problem with it. Uglies seemed so much more grown up and I guess I expected the same from this one. I got Specials from the library to read right after this and I'm still going to read it because I believe in you, Scott Westerfield. I loved his Leviathan books and I'm going to have faith that Specials is going to impress me. I'll let you know how that goes. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Uglies series, this book again follows our protagonist around as she is about to make the choice to become pretty or to go to a camp in which she will be able to rebel. One of the hardest things about this is the way that she see's herself and how much she is being pressured into conforming and becoming the ideal "pretty." I love this book because it shows the inner struggle that Tally is going through when she is trying to make the choice on going or staying. I think that children can learn a lot from this and that this book may help to show people that they are not alone when they think that they can't live up to others standards. I would easily recommend this book as well. This is also a futuristic science fiction book, because it is set in the future with technology that is not out yet. ( )
  rprado14 | Apr 13, 2016 |
This started very interesting something like animal farm a hidden meaning. Then it started dragging and dragging later it was moving so slow it made me tired to read it.

A book like this usually takes me 2 - 3 days it almost took me two weeks!! When the end came I was interested again it made a big turn and there was a nice twist I just feel there was a bit of a fall in the story that shouldn't have been there.

Plot :

Uglies and Pretties smokies and rusties.

Prettie town is a place where brainless person's live because off an operation that took there free will away and made them beautiful nobody knows there brainwashed accept Tally youngblood and her friend Zane together they go on an adventure to find a cure and to escape the special circumstances who will keep you brainwashed no matter what it takes.

themes : Rich VS poor
Right VS Wrong
Love VS Freedom
  SnowBookHollow | Apr 13, 2016 |
The kind of book I loved reading at 15 or 16: damned fine science fiction and damned fine yarns.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Sleeping Beauty

Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless.

- John Ruskin, The Stones of Venice, I
To the Australian SF community for all your acceptance and support.
Getting dressed was always the hardest part of the afternoon.
Part II: The Cure

and kisses are a better fate

than wisdom

- e.e. cummings, "since feeling is first"
Part III: Outside

The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.

- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Gorgeous. Popular.

Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

Tally's transformation to perfect and popular including her totally hot boyfriend is everything she always wanted. But beneath the fun and freedom something is wrong and now Tally has to fight for her life because what she knows has put her in danger with the authorities.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,331,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible