Pretties (The Uglies) by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties (The Uglies) (edition 2011)

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (2)

Member:iswimmin
Title:Pretties (The Uglies)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld (Author)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A girl's journey through a dystopian future society.

English (255)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (259)
I really dislike Shay. Yep, really. She has reason to be angry with Tally--though I wish she'd consider the way Tally was blackmailed and threatened--and she has only the memories and feelings the operation allows her, but she's angry over David. Be angry over losing the life you wanted, Shay! Don't be angry over a boy!

Tally's feelings as a New-Pretty scared me. As I said talking about [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255574770s/24770.jpg|2895388], I understand the temptation. Who wouldn't want a life free of all the drama we go through? But there was a core of unhappiness in her, not just her feelings from before, but a basic unhappiness with the drinking and the parties.

The ending of the book killed me. It enforced my dislike of Shay, but more than that it upset me for Tally. She wanted to be a Pretty, but she never wanted to be a Special, and they gave her no choice. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
4 star on audio re-read. ( )
  avanders | Jul 31, 2018 |
Tally continually makes mistakes. I feel bad for David even more. God poor David. Shay's crazy! I think she's just there as a constant reminder of Tally's mistakes. It's annoying. Loved Zane. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
It's a good sequel, which continues directly off of the previous book. While I enjoy the storyline, I continue to have a bit of trouble actually getting pulled into the world. Nonetheless, I will continue to read the series, and am truly hoping for a strong continuing storyline. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jun 29, 2018 |
Read in High School
Age 13 (2006) – Age 22 (2015)
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 5, 2018 |
The kind of book I loved reading at 15 or 16: damned fine science fiction and damned fine yarns.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Westerfeld, ScottAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tremaine, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Sleeping Beauty

Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless.

- John Ruskin, The Stones of Venice, I
To the Australian SF community for all your acceptance and support.
Getting dressed was always the hardest part of the afternoon.
Part II: The Cure

and kisses are a better fate

than wisdom

- e.e. cummings, "since feeling is first"
Part III: Outside

The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.

- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Gorgeous. Popular.

Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

Tally's transformation to perfect and popular including her totally hot boyfriend is everything she always wanted. But beneath the fun and freedom something is wrong and now Tally has to fight for her life because what she knows has put her in danger with the authorities.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,505,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible