To Be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal

To Be Sung Underwater (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Tom McNeal

Member:crgalvin
Title:To Be Sung Underwater
Authors:Tom McNeal
Info:Little, Brown (2011), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Love, Relationships, Marriage, Contemporary fiction, Nebraska

To Be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal (2011)

The audio version of this novel was narrated by a woman with a too-sweet voice. Had I read it, perhaps I would have given it 4 stars. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
This book was just OK for me. It actually took me a couple of tries to get all the way through it. I'm glad I gave it a 2nd chance because I eventually did get into it, but it was still just OK. Maybe it's because I just didn't like any of the characters. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
Beautifully written, great characters... heartbreaking story. ( )
  aliepa | Mar 14, 2015 |
I liked this book. Mostly. There's something about McNeil's writing style that appeals to me, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The story had plenty of interest to keep me reading and I could relate to just about all of the characters in a personal way. I know nothing about Nebraska, where the story is set, but the images are drawn well and I could make a picture of it in my head (which may or may not bear a resemblance to the real thing).

My only criticism, and it is a major reservation, is that the story does descend into a somewhat romantic phase towards the end. By that I primarily mean that McNeil allows the relationship between two characters to become unrealistic - everything around them happens in a way that is just perfect for the movement towards the ending. Having said that, the actual finish of the book is rather more satisfying and I was left with a feeling which had just the right balance of tension, pleasure, clarity, and doubt.

I have put McNeil's other adult fiction book on my wishlist. ( )
  oldblack | Nov 5, 2012 |
I wouldn't have found some of this story believable if I hadn't met someone who never got over a love he had. It's a very sad thing when someone can't let go and lets it take over their life. ( )
  MelissaMcB | Aug 19, 2012 |
for Laura and in memory of Bill Gerard
The man sits hidden among pines on a bluff overlooking the grid of farms and county roads lying north.

Judith Whitman always believed in the kind of love that "picks you up in Akron and sets you down in Rio." Long ago, she once experienced that love. Willy Blunt was a carpenter with a dry wit and a steadfast sense of honor. Marrying him seemed like a natural thing to promise. But Willy Blunt was not a person you could pick up in Nebraska and transport to Stanford. When Judith left home, she didn't look back.

Twenty years later, Judith's marriage is hazy with secrets. In her hand is what may be the phone number for the man who believed she meant it when she said she loved him. If she called, what would he say?

TO BE SUNG UNDERWATER is the epic love story of a woman trying to remember, and the man who could not even begin to forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:30 -0400)

Judith Whitman, in a marriage hazy with secrets, considers getting in touch with the love of her life from twenty years ago.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,420,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible