Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

Pawn of Prophecy (1982)

by David Eddings

Series: The Belgariad (1)

5,73195740 (3.87)184

English (86)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (95)
A good start. Garion is a seemingly nice normal boy, being raise by his aunt. He discovers his aunt is not what she seams and the adventure begins. There is a lot she is not telling him. This is the start of the series and does a good job o setting things up ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |
Re-reading this series for the first time since I was about fifteen. Surprisingly, it's held up despite the test of time. And I apparently still have a thing for the same characters, haha - which is even more surprising! ( )
  jwryn | Feb 27, 2017 |
This was a quick read and I liked the characters. ( )
  nhlsecord | Feb 26, 2017 |

a great introduction to the series and one which got me hooked. I have read the series several times and they are something of a comfort blanket. ( )
  MargaretPemberton | Feb 19, 2017 |
I loved these books when I was growing up, but while I still have a soft spot in my heart for them, they haven't aged particularly well. The writing is pedestrian, and the plot is hackneyed, but the characters are charming and likable, and their interactions are consistently entertaining.

These still work well as Y/A fantasy, but I doubt they'd be particularly enjoyable to an adult without the filter of nostalgia. ( )
  nurfherder | Jan 15, 2017 |

Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Being a History of the War of the Gods and the Acts of Belgarath the Sorcerer
- adapted from The Book of Alorn

For Theone, who told me stories but could not stay for mine - and for Arthur, who showed me the way to become a man - and who shows me still
When the world was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man were as one people.
(prologue)
The first thing the boy Garion remembered was the kitchen at Faldor's farm.
"It's not good to leave things of value behind. They nag at the mind and distract one from the business at hand."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335511, Mass Market Paperback)

"Eddings' BELGARIAD is exactly the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adventure, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight."
Piers Anthony
Long ago, the Storyteller claimed, in this first book of THE BELGARIAD, the evil god Torak drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.
But Garion did not believe in such stories. Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know that the Apostate planned to wake dread Torak, or that he would be led on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger by those he loved--but did not know...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

Garion the farm boy did not believe in magic dooms, but then he did not know that soon he would be on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger when the dread evil God Torak was reawakened.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,187,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible