Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

Pawn of Prophecy (1982)

by David Eddings

Series: The Belgariad (1), Belgariad universe (3)

English (93)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (102)
Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings is a classic in the epic fantasy realm. I read them as a kid but only recently have enjoyed the first in the series as an audiobook. Here is my review.

While the premise to Pawn of Prophecy is pretty basic (ancient evil is awakening and a Chosen One may be our only salvation), I still enjoyed it. I read this series as a kid and only recently have discovered them as audiobooks. As an adult, I find that I have a more critical eye. However, I still found myself enjoying this book. Perhaps part of that is nostalgia but I think the characters hold up well even if the plot is pretty much boiler plate.

I really enjoyed Silk for his wit. He pokes fun at other characters but also has quieter moments where he teaches Garion something useful or playful moments when he’s getting up to some mischief. Garion’s Aunt Pol (Polgara) is also a favorite. I love how she insists on keeping Garion clean, presentable, and well fed. She’s the care giver in the group but she’s also one of the sternest characters. She will suffer no foolishness on her watch!

There’s this one scene that really stood out for me because Silk was poking fun at certain social norms. At a big meeting of the nations’s leaders, there are some women present. Some nations expect their ladies to stay pregnant and in the house while other nations have greater equality. Silk pokes fun at the former while praising the later. I couldn’t help but think that perhaps the author was making a little fun of earlier epic fantasy works where the ladies are relegated to minor roles of providing love, comfort, and babies. It’s scenes like this that rekindled my love for this series.

Garion himself is an OK character though I expect I will once again fall in love with his character later in the series. Right now, he really is a bit of a pawn. People want to control him because he could be The One. Yep, the bad guys want him and the good guys in the know want to keep him safe. While that is all pretty standard for several epic fantasies, I still found my self holding my breath during fight scenes or when a bad guy was skulking around.

All told, this was a story that stood the test of time and I’m glad that I have reacquainted myself with it. 4/5 stars

The Narration: Cameron Beierle did an amazing job with his narration. He had distinct voices for all the characters and his female voices were believable. I especially love how he managed Silk’s role. Silk speaks multiple languages and likes to go about in disguise, including disguising his voice. I liked his grumpy Belgariad and stern Pol as well. All around, an excellent performance. 5/5 stars ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Aug 15, 2018 |
In tegenstelling tot de 'Kronieken van de IJstijd' van deze auteur, pakte dit boek me wel al snel.

Dit boek is geen diepgravende fantasy, maar het is gewoon een plezierige combinatie van avontuur, humor en plezier.
De personages zijn heel menselijk en soms wat wijsneuzig.

De jongen Garion leeft met zijn tante Pol in een boerenhofstee, waar hij de nodige kinder-kattekwaad uithaalt. Eens in de zoveel tijd word de hofstede bezocht door een reizende verteller, die veel aandacht heeft voor de jongen.
Een aantal jaren verder (rond Garion's 15e verjaardag) komt zijn vredige leven in gevaar, en moet hij samen met zijn tante Pol, de verhalen-verteller en de smid vluchten ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
One of the groups I belong to is reading this book in November 2016 and I decided to do a quick re-read of an old favorite. I can still say that this story always is a fun book to read and still stands up as excellent epic fantasy after 35 years.

4.5 Stars for a true classic. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
Listening to a classic fantasy story that I head read multiple times was certainly an interesting experience. It took me some time to get used to the pronunciations used but narrator soon captured me in this world again and I might even have enjoyed this more than all the times I have read this one.

5 Stars for a great listening experience. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
Picked this up as a 99p deal on Amazon recently. I used to own the entire series and at least the first 2 or 3 of The Mallorean as paperbacks, but they got culled from my collection at least 10 years ago, so I thought I’d have another try at them 30 years on.

This is basically a bildungsroman - Garion is a young boy being raised by his aunt Pol on a farm. We see him first as a young boy, and the story proper starts when he is 14 and events elsewhere in the world affect his life.

I may have enjoyed it when it first came out, but frankly I didn’t enjoy it now. The story is straight-forward enough, magical macguffin is stolen and a party is going to retrieve it, but -

- Teenaged protagonist with a slight tendency to self-pity. Fortunately, Aunt Pol has no patience with such and usually has an unpleasant tonic to hand...
- An inordinate number of kingdoms, races etc. And that’s just the good guys. Annoyingly, the retrieval party needs to feature one of each just in case an ancient prophecy is to be fulfilled (as they invariably do).
- The Cook’s Tour writing. Yes, the world is large, but do we really need to visit every last kingdom before we end up at the climax?
- The RPG trope party: fighter, thief, cleric (well, not really - I guess technically he’s multi-classed as a wizard-cleric), wizard etc.
- It’s book 1 of 5. Plus more in the second series and the spin-offs. No, I am so not bothering.

I suppose nowadays these would be classified as YA.
  Maddz | Mar 11, 2018 |

Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Being a History of the War of the Gods and the Acts of Belgarath the Sorcerer
- adapted from The Book of Alorn

For Theone, who told me stories but could not stay for mine - and for Arthur, who showed me the way to become a man - and who shows me still
When the world was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man were as one people.
(prologue)
The first thing the boy Garion remembered was the kitchen at Faldor's farm.
"It's not good to leave things of value behind. They nag at the mind and distract one from the business at hand."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335511, Mass Market Paperback)

"Eddings' BELGARIAD is exactly the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adventure, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight."
Piers Anthony
Long ago, the Storyteller claimed, in this first book of THE BELGARIAD, the evil god Torak drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.
But Garion did not believe in such stories. Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know that the Apostate planned to wake dread Torak, or that he would be led on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger by those he loved--but did not know...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

Garion the farm boy did not believe in magic dooms, but then he did not know that soon he would be on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger when the dread evil God Torak was reawakened.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,832,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible