Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1) by…

Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1) (original 1982; edition 1986)

by David Eddings

Title:Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1986), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages

Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (1982)

English (80)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (89)
I read these years ago and they are just as mesmerizing now. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
Garion appears to be a normal farm boy living on Faldor's farm where his aunt, Pol, is cook. But as he grows signs and portents sweep around him.

OK so it's not the most original of story lines even when it was written 30 odd years ago but Eddings' tale is reasonably well written and there's an underlying sense that Eddings doesn't take the tale too seriously that lends it a charm all of its own. Unlike rather too many books this has been a joy to reread ( )
  JohnFair | Aug 28, 2016 |
The names were difficult to remember on audio, but I was listening with my family who is well versed in this world. They patiently explained everything I didn't understand. ( )
  spincerely | Jul 6, 2016 |
A reread from my young adult days. David Eddings was my favorite author from my teenage years. Rereading this series reminds me why I enjoyed his novels so much. My only complaint is that the second book has a hold on it so I'll have to wait to get to read it.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
There are parts of this that rankle, the casual racism (all members of a race behave the same for example, and there's accompanying casual sexism (all women etc.) but this tale of a farmboy being drawn on a quest to save the world still entertained me after years of absence. The banter between the characters was always excellent and even if you could almost hear the dice being rolled in the background it was fun.

A lot of younger writers could learn a lot about the light touch and fun that these characters seem to be having despite the fact that the situation is serious. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 24, 2016 |

Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Being a History of the War of the Gods and the Acts of Belgarath the Sorcerer
- adapted from The Book of Alorn

For Theone, who told me stories but could not stay for mine - and for Arthur, who showed me the way to become a man - and who shows me still
When the world was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man were as one people.
The first thing the boy Garion remembered was the kitchen at Faldor's farm.
"It's not good to leave things of value behind. They nag at the mind and distract one from the business at hand."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335511, Mass Market Paperback)

"Eddings' BELGARIAD is exactly the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adventure, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight."
Piers Anthony
Long ago, the Storyteller claimed, in this first book of THE BELGARIAD, the evil god Torak drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.
But Garion did not believe in such stories. Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know that the Apostate planned to wake dread Torak, or that he would be led on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger by those he loved--but did not know...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

Garion the farm boy did not believe in magic dooms, but then he did not know that soon he would be on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger when the dread evil God Torak was reawakened.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,784,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible