Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1) by…

Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1) (original 1982; edition 1986)

by David Eddings

Member:nexist
Title:Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1986), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (1982)

English (84)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (93)
This was a quick read and I liked the characters. ( )
  nhlsecord | Feb 26, 2017 |

a great introduction to the series and one which got me hooked. I have read the series several times and they are something of a comfort blanket. ( )
  MargaretPemberton | Feb 19, 2017 |
I loved these books when I was growing up, but while I still have a soft spot in my heart for them, they haven't aged particularly well. The writing is pedestrian, and the plot is hackneyed, but the characters are charming and likable, and their interactions are consistently entertaining.

These still work well as Y/A fantasy, but I doubt they'd be particularly enjoyable to an adult without the filter of nostalgia. ( )
  nurfherder | Jan 15, 2017 |
I first discovered David Eddings in junior high. It was instant love.
Read him in highschool and in the beginning of college.

Then life started, and with that came a whole ton of new books, authors, etc that have diverted me for the last Decade .

So, just like most of my recent rereads, I sat down to see how this book held up to my more mature, wise and married self.

Beyond the fact that I saw it for the young-adult lit it is [when I was 16 I was convinced this was cutting edge fantasy on the level of Tolkien], this held up very well.

I still laughed, I still rolled my eyes, and I grinned even harder with anticipation, KNOWING what was coming next.
Sometimes you just need a comforting book that you already know the nooks and crannies of. Well, I think the entire [b:The Belgariad Boxed Set|44660|The Belgariad Boxed Set|David Eddings|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1210072765s/44660.jpg|43992] is pretty much that for me. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I read these years ago and they are just as mesmerizing now. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |

Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Being a History of the War of the Gods and the Acts of Belgarath the Sorcerer
- adapted from The Book of Alorn

For Theone, who told me stories but could not stay for mine - and for Arthur, who showed me the way to become a man - and who shows me still
When the world was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man were as one people.
(prologue)
The first thing the boy Garion remembered was the kitchen at Faldor's farm.
"It's not good to leave things of value behind. They nag at the mind and distract one from the business at hand."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335511, Mass Market Paperback)

"Eddings' BELGARIAD is exactly the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adventure, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight."
Piers Anthony
Long ago, the Storyteller claimed, in this first book of THE BELGARIAD, the evil god Torak drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.
But Garion did not believe in such stories. Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know that the Apostate planned to wake dread Torak, or that he would be led on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger by those he loved--but did not know...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

Garion the farm boy did not believe in magic dooms, but then he did not know that soon he would be on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger when the dread evil God Torak was reawakened.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,633,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible