Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1) by…

Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1) (original 1982; edition 1986)

by David Eddings

Member:nexist
Title:Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1986), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (1982)

Recently added bymelawen, Gluon, telanus, private library, LadyBrook3, rwilliab, stevekover, AbbyAddams, arnaud-k, louweegy

English (64)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (73)
I've reread this many times...it's not without some flaws (or, I should say, things that annoy me - I'm sure not everyone would call them flaws!), but it's given me a great deal of pleasure over the years. The book itself it somewhere, but I'm rereading the ebook right now. ( )
  4hounds | Nov 23, 2014 |
I first read this novel in 1982 shortly after it was released. I had read The Lord of the Rings several years prior to the release and used to haunt the local bookstores looking for new fantasy novels that stimulated the imagination. This novel certainly "fit the bill" in what I was looking for.

The book fits many of what have become known as fantasy tropes in the years since it was written but it was fresh and new (at least in my mind) when I first read it and it became a fast favorite that I have read many times in the years since. It is "escapist fantasy" at it best IMHO.

This series of books (the Belgaried and the Mallorean) have certain writing conventions that were used by the Eddings that some readers have taken offense at (each group of people have similar personality or intellectual traits). This did not occur to me when reading and I still don't think this ever occurred to the authors.

It is a grand sweeping fantasy adventure that I can recommend to anyone who enjoys the fantasy genre. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Pawn of Prophecy 192 pg- *** Hopefully this is just an extended prologue and better things are coming, because this one leaves the reader with more questions than answers. I'm interested enough to want to keep reading though, and I really like a few of the characters, particularly Silk, Dernik and Garion. We'll see. ( )
  5hrdrive | Sep 12, 2014 |
Dopo aver sentito tanto parlare di questo saga ho deciso di iniziarla. Devo dire che questo primo librò non è affatto male, anzi. E la storia narra di personaggi che solitamente non si trovano in altri libri (non dico di più per non dare anticipazioni sulla trama). Ecco, forse l'unica eccezione è il ciclo di Dragonlance... Comunque un buon libro, sperando che la storia non si "guasti" nei capitoli successivi ( )
  cecca | Jul 28, 2014 |
Voor mij is dit de eerste Eddings. Onbewust heb ik deze boeken altijd een beetje vermeden, maar omdat echte klassiekers zijn is dit een mooie aanleiding ze eens te lezen. Het is echte instap fantasy, en het is allemaal erg gezellig. Wel een aardig verhaal, maar het komt wat traag op gang. Goed dat ik dit toch eens gelezen heb. ( )
  Maaike15274 | Apr 17, 2014 |

Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Being a History of the War of the Gods and the Acts of Belgarath the Sorcerer
- adapted from The Book of Alorn

For Theone, who told me stories but could not stay for mine - and for Arthur, who showed me the way to become a man - and who shows me still
When the world was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man were as one people.
(prologue)
The first thing the boy Garion remembered was the kitchen at Faldor's farm.
"It's not good to leave things of value behind. They nag at the mind and distract one from the business at hand."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335511, Mass Market Paperback)

"Eddings' BELGARIAD is exactly the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adventure, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight."
Piers Anthony
Long ago, the Storyteller claimed, in this first book of THE BELGARIAD, the evil god Torak drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.
But Garion did not believe in such stories. Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know that the Apostate planned to wake dread Torak, or that he would be led on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger by those he loved--but did not know...?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:20 -0400)

Garion the farm boy did not believe in magic dooms, but then he did not know that soon he would be on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger when the dread evil God Torak was reawakened.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,015,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible