Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1) by…

Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1) (original 1982; edition 1986)

by David Eddings

Member:nexist
Title:Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, No 1)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1986), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (1982)

English (76)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (85)
There are parts of this that rankle, the casual racism (all members of a race behave the same for example, and there's accompanying casual sexism (all women etc.) but this tale of a farmboy being drawn on a quest to save the world still entertained me after years of absence. The banter between the characters was always excellent and even if you could almost hear the dice being rolled in the background it was fun.

A lot of younger writers could learn a lot about the light touch and fun that these characters seem to be having despite the fact that the situation is serious. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 24, 2016 |
I took this book really slowly- reading it over three days instead of my usual one- because I own random books in these series and, having attempted and failed to understand Domes of Fire several times, was prepared for this to be a very confusing book. Now I'm done, and I'm very excited about the whole thing. It was an excellent book, one I enjoyed reading, and not nearly as confusing as I thought it would be. The places did get to be very complicated after a while, but I've never bothered with trying to understand maps, so I mostly skimmed the sections where they talked about the route they were to take. I'm very excited for the next book in the series, and I do think I will read all of them. ^_^
  jerenda | Mar 8, 2016 |
The Pawn of Prophecy is the first Book in the Belgariad Series. OK, the entire series rocked for me. I loved it all.

This book introduces you to a young boy who has a very dark destiny ahead of him. It is sort of coming of age as he goes through into his early teens discovering who he is and what he has to do. He finds that what he has to do is terrifying. And he must find a way to cope with it. After all, how does one defeat a god!

I highly recommend this entire series. I have read them more than once. David Edding's writing is very entertaining. Keeps you focused on the story. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
no longer my reading style. skip entire series. skip this author.
  mannermel | Jan 28, 2016 |
Ah, this was like slipping on a comfortable old pair of slippers. Now, I'm not going to sit here and claim that Eddings is the greatest writer but he can tell a story and has that often underestimated quality of being Readable. It's probably best if you're a 13 year old when you first read this, but if you're not, don't let that put you off. Monty Python fans will enjoy the references to the Holy Grail.

A word to the wise. If you're thinking of reading this you'll notice there is a 2nd series called the Malloreon. The Belgariad is essentially a single long novel like The Lord of the Rings. The Malloreon doesn't complete it but is simply a re-run of the first story but set on a different continent. It is marred by some poor writing. There are also two prequels. These are designed to be read after the Belgariad and the Malloreon. This book is the place to start. ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 24, 2015 |

Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Being a History of the War of the Gods and the Acts of Belgarath the Sorcerer
- adapted from The Book of Alorn

For Theone, who told me stories but could not stay for mine - and for Arthur, who showed me the way to become a man - and who shows me still
When the world was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man were as one people.
(prologue)
The first thing the boy Garion remembered was the kitchen at Faldor's farm.
"It's not good to leave things of value behind. They nag at the mind and distract one from the business at hand."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335511, Mass Market Paperback)

"Eddings' BELGARIAD is exactly the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adventure, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight."
Piers Anthony
Long ago, the Storyteller claimed, in this first book of THE BELGARIAD, the evil god Torak drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.
But Garion did not believe in such stories. Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know that the Apostate planned to wake dread Torak, or that he would be led on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger by those he loved--but did not know...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

Garion the farm boy did not believe in magic dooms, but then he did not know that soon he would be on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger when the dread evil God Torak was reawakened.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,898,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible