Madame Bovary (Norton Critical Editions) by…

Madame Bovary (Norton Critical Editions) (edition 2004)

by Gustave Flaubert, Margaret Cohen (Editor)

Member:suzabelle
Title:Madame Bovary (Norton Critical Editions)
Authors:Gustave Flaubert
Other authors:Margaret Cohen (Editor)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2004), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

Madame Bovary [Norton Critical Edition] by Gustave Flaubert

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
Wow. This book rocked my reading world. I'll probably read it again and then comment on it. Amazing book, though; it totally lived up to the hype. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I listened to the audio version this time, rather than reading it again. It was still the story I remember and I felt impatient with Emma for her behavior and attitudes towards Charles. Seems to be a much different reaction this time - one of someone who has been married rather than the young adult I was the first time I read it. It will never be one of my favorites, but the craft that Flaubert took in crafting the language is to be noted. ( )
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
What a delight to reread this book, especially since my first reading was at age 18. Back then I missed the irony, humor, and deadliness, as well as Flaubert's startlingly modern perspective. Hard to believe this was published prior to the US Civil War. During my first reading I swooned, wept, and raged right along with Madame B. Evidently, at the time the book was published, many bourgeoise housewives did the same. How kind-hearted and compassionate Flaubert is with his flawed characters. The narrator seems like God, sadly meting out consequences for his creations.
  Mary_Overton | Jun 29, 2010 |
966 Madame Bovary Background and Sources Essays in Criticism Gustave Flaubert edited with a substantially new translation by Paul De Man (read 7 Sep 1968) Somewhat to my surprise, I have just finished reading this--it marks my first reading of one of the those famous French novels which were on the Index of Forbidden Books till the Index was abolished in 1966: books such as those by Stendahl, Balzac, and Flaubert. I found Madame Bovary heavy and a tour de force. It tells of a woman in Normandy who sought to fulfill her dreams in adultery, and of her failure and death. The story is not exceptional, but the telling has a power in it unmatched by most of what I've read. A sample of Flaubert (how I wish I knew French!): "As on the return from Vaulyessard, when the quadrilles were running in her head, she was full of a glowing melancholy, of a numb despair. Leon reappeared, taller, handsomer, more charming, more vague. Though separated from her, he had not left her, he was there, and the walls of the house seemed to hold his shadows. . .The river still flowed on and slowly drove its ripples along the slippery banks. They had often walked there listening to the murmur of the waves over the moss-covered pebbles. How bright the sun had been! What happy afternoons they had known, alone, in the shade at the end of the garden!" A masterpiece! ( )
  Schmerguls | Jul 29, 2009 |
It may not be an uplifting story, but this is one of those strange books where you can be fairly unhappy with the story and characters---but still love the reading. The language is beautiful, and the scenes are created so realistically that you'll feel as if you're there even when you'd rather not be. The essays here also are, for the most part, worth the while, and not so literarilly obscure that they wouldn't be of interest for various casual readers. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jan 16, 2008 |

Gustave Flaubertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cohen, MargaretEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work.

Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

The text of this Norton Critical Edition is based on Eleanor Marx Aveling’s celebrated translation, revised by Paul de Man.

Margaret Cohen’s careful editorial revision modernizes and renews Flaubert’s stylistic masterpiece. In addition, Cohen has added to the Second Edition a new introduction, substantially new annotations, and twenty-one striking images, including photographs and engravings, that inform students’ understanding of middle-class life in nineteenth-century provincial France. In Madame Bovary, Flaubert created a cogent counter discourse that exposed and resisted the dominant intellectual and social ideologies of his age. The novel’s subversion of conventional moral norms inevitably created controversy and eventually led to Flaubert’s prosecution by the French government on charges of offending "public and religious morality." This Norton edition is the only one available that includes the complete manuscript from Flaubert’s 1857 trial. "Criticism" includes sixteen studies regarding the novel’s central themes, twelve of them new to the Second Edition, including essays by Charles Baudelaire, Henry James, Roland Barthes, Jonathan Culler, and Naomi Schor. A Chronology and Selected Bibliography are also included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:37 -0400)

In "Madame Bovary," his story of a shallow, deluded, unfaithful, but consistently compelling woman living in the provinces of nineteenth-century France, Gustave Flaubert invented not only the modern novel but also a modern attitude toward human character and human experience that remains with us to this day. One of the rare works of art that it would be fair to call perfect, "Madame Bovary" has had an incalculable influence on the literary culture that followed it.… (more)

Legacy Library: Gustave Flaubert

Gustave Flaubert has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Gustave Flaubert's legacy profile.

See Gustave Flaubert's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,528,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible