Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness…

Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Thich Nhat Hanh, Arnold Kotler (Editor), H. H. the Dalai Lama (Foreword)

Member:sullijo
Title:Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
Authors:Thich Nhat Hanh
Other authors:Arnold Kotler (Editor), H. H. the Dalai Lama (Foreword)
Info:Bantam (1992), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:nonfiction, Buddhism, Engaged Buddhism, @office

Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thích Nhất Hạnh (1991)

English (28)  French (1)  All languages (29)
In the rush of modern life, we tend to lose touch with the peace that is available in each moment. World-renowned Zen master, spiritual leader, and author Thich Nhat Hanh shows us how to make positive use of the very situations that usually pressure and antagonize us. For him a ringing telephone can be a signal to call us back to our true selves. Dirty dishes, red lights, and traffic jams are spiritual friends on the path to "mindfulness"—the process of keeping our consciousness alive to our present experience and reality. The most profound satisfactions, the deepest feelings of joy and completeness lie as close at hand as our next aware breath and the smile we can form right now.

Lucidly and beautifully written, Peace Is Every Step contains commentaries and meditations, personal anecdotes and stories from Nhat Hanh's experiences as a peace activist, teacher, and community leader. It begins where the reader already is—in the kitchen, office, driving a car, walking a part—and shows how deep meditative presence is available now. Nhat Hanh provides exercises to increase our awareness of our own body and mind through conscious breathing, which can bring immediate joy and peace. Nhat Hanh also shows how to be aware of relationships with others and of the world around us, its beauty and also its pollution and injustices. the deceptively simple practices of Peace Is Every Step encourage the reader to work for peace in the world as he or she continues to work on sustaining inner peace by turning the "mindless" into the mindFUL.
  PSZC | Mar 12, 2019 |
This is the second book I’ve read by Hạnh, the first being Living Buddha, Living Christ. To those unfamiliar, Hạnh is a buddhist monk from Vietnam. He became a well known peace activist during the Vietnam work[1]. During that time, he worked with the likes of Martin Luther King Jr[2] and Thomas Merton[3].

I have been deeply affected by King and Merton, which is what piqued my interest in Hạnh. I’ve also grown in respect for many of the tenants of Buddhism that I’ve come to understand. Yet, I want to be clear upfront, I read Hahn as a Christian, looking to grow further in my Christian faith. I do so not adversarially, looking for weaknesses or contradictions. I do so out of a posture of hopeful admiration. Trusting that all truth is God’s truth. Believing that my faith, and the tradition it has grown out of, has a limited perspective, constrained by culture and history. Searching for perspectives that will challenge me to reconsider my assumptions.

Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.

This book is a gentle and charming walk through the principles of mindfulness, inter-being (how everything is connected) and living non-violently. It is an exploration in how “right” living will lead to “right” thinking. Orthopraxy to Orthodoxy for you christian nerds. I find that much of what Hạnh discusses can be fully integrated into christian beliefs. In fact, it has been instrumental for me in maintaining many of them. This is because so much of it focuses on practical, tangible actions. Stop, breathe, let go. There is no special prayer to say, no confused expectation of whether it will be answered. Just breathing. Sitting. Acknowledging your emotions and letting go of them.

This may have been obvious to you, but I always considered prayer an active, internal speaking of words . It’s been through the words of Hahn and monks of many other traditions that the view has changed. I’ve learned that prayer is broader, subtler and much quieter than I ever realized it could be. To sit still and silent, with my heart bent towards the love of the father, is as “spiritual” and important as saying the Lords prayer. The Hebrew word for the Holy Spirit is ruach, which translates to “air in motion”, or simply, breath. To focus on my breath is to connect with the Holy Spirit. These practices have shifted my faith from being one of the head to one of the heart.

Please, consider giving this short book a read. The language may seem flowery or indirect if you’re unfamiliar, but stick with it. They all work together to build a cohesive pattern of thought that is worth internalizing.

Footnotes and interesting links
1: Wikipedia Article on Hạnh
2: Nomination of Thich Nhat Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize By Martin Luther King, Jr., 25 January 1967
3: “Nhat Hanh is my Brother” by Thomas Merton
The Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings of the Order of Interbeing

Originally published on mcmanus.io ( )
1 vote Mattmcmanus | Aug 23, 2018 |
I use the ideas here everyday to ground myself and appreciate my life, even when it is full of turmoil.

For more book reviews see my blog: https://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
I am a Christian and typically do not look to other religious traditions for Spiritual counsel or advice. I live in fidelity to Jesus happily drinking the water from my own cistern, but still all truth is God's truth. I had this book kicking around and since I feel like North America's biggest religious challenge comes from the East I read it and in itI encountered wise counsel and good advice about being present in the moment and practicing life mindfully.

Thich Nhat Hanh advocates that we be fully engaged in the reality of the world around us rather than seek solace in escapist strategies, mindlessness and fantasy. This is all very good if it's kept in its place. Thich's approach suggested that if we could cultivate this mindfulness in ourselves all the time, then we would achieve our enlightenment. This illustrates a fundamental difference between Christianity and Buddhism. In Buddhism,the person achieves enlightentment through self-discipline; in Christianity, Jesus dies so that we may live.

So as a Christian, I find myself fundamentally at odds with the ways in which Thich Naht Nanh approaches the world, salvation, the spiritual journey all the while acknowledging that pieces of his approach ring true.
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
The book contains a lot of useful ideas about being mindful, coming back to the present by focusing on your breath, and recognizing the interconnectedness of all things. I think it's a collection of pieces written at different times--it doesn't have a continuous flow. But it's short and pretty clear. I read some of the sections a couple of times. ( )
1 vote Jim53 | Jan 24, 2017 |

Thích Nhất Hạnhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kotler, ArnoldEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bstan-ʼdzin-rgya-mt… Dalai Lama XIV,Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Every morning, when we wake up, we have twenty-four brand new hours to live.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553351397, Paperback)

Thich Nhat Hanh's writing is deceptive in its subtlety. He'll go on and on with stories about tree-hugging or metaphors involving raw potatoes; he'll tell you how to eat mindfully, even how to breathe and walk; he'll suggest looking closely at a flower and to see the sun as your heart. As the Zen teacher Richard Baker commented, however, Nhat Hanh is "a cross between a cloud, a snail, and piece of heavy machinery." Sooner or later, it begins to sink in that Nhat Hanh is conveying a depth of psychology and a world outlook that require nothing less than a complete paradigm shift. Through his cute stories and compassionate admonitions, he gradually builds up to his philosophy of interbeing, the notion that none of us is separately, but rather that we inter-are. The ramifications are explosive. How can we mindlessly and selfishly pursue our individual ends, when we are inextricably bound up with everyone and everything else? We see an enemy not as focus of anger but as a human with a complex history, who could be us if we had the same history. Suffice it to say, that after reading Peace Is Every Step, you'll never look at a plastic bag the same way again, and you may even develop a penchant for hugging trees. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:33 -0400)

A Zen master shows how to make positive use of situations that usually antagonize.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,269,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible