The Unwritten, Volume 4: Leviathan by Mike…

The Unwritten, Volume 4: Leviathan (edition 2011)

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross

Member:igorken
Title:The Unwritten, Volume 4: Leviathan
Authors:Mike Carey
Other authors:Peter Gross
Info:Vertigo (2011), Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:comic, fantasy, stories

The Unwritten Vol. 4: Leviathan by Mike Carey

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
It just gets better and better.

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2016 | Task 22: Graphic novel ( )
  Bodagirl | Jan 3, 2016 |
The third volume in this terrific series, a fantasy/horror meta-story about the power of stories. Tommy Taylor finds himself trapped on board The Pequod, a-hunting the great white whale, or at least trying to find out what it is the whale represents and what it has to do with the power his father wielded and the very bad people trying to kill him and his friends. I love tis stuff, and it's such a relief that it's found an audience large enough to keep it going (unlike say, Crossing Midnight.) I'm very much looking forward to more. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
Leviathan is the fourth book (issues 19-24) in The Unwritten series of comics, written by Mike Carey, art by Peter Gross, with additional art by Al Davison and Vince Locke and cover art by Yuko Shimizu.

Plot:
Wilson’s sudden reappearance didn’t take any heat off of Tom, Rich and Lizzie, quite to the contrary. The Cabal is looking for new ways to destroy them, while Tommy hatches the plan that he has to find the source of his powers. That search leads him into the belly of the beast, quite literally: by way of Moby Dick, he ends up in a whale – but he’s not alone there.

The Unwritten really is an amazing series. So far they not only managed to keep the high quality consistent over all books, but they also manage to come up with a new concept every time – a concept that will perfectly fit the world created, be completely logical and that you would have never thought of yourself. Amazing.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/08/12/the-unwritten-leviathan-mike-carey-peter-gross/ ( )
  kalafudra | Aug 31, 2015 |
In this storyline, the different threads come together and start to delineate THE STORY behind the stories. Tom is going through a sort of ‘rite of passage’, allowing him to think of his role with a new perspective.

I absolutely love the way that different narrations are used to explain the why and the now: flashback and present day overlap, vignette stories are presented as interlude, and Tom is thrown once again in well-known stories.

All this without taking into account master puppeteer and breach of fiction into reality, or is it the other way around?

Recommended for those of you who have feared boredom and were dissatisfied with part of Vol. 2 and Vol. 3. I’m looking forward the next part. ( )
  electrice | May 15, 2014 |
"I wonder if all boy wizards refer to their wand as 'she.' From the shape of the thing, you'd think--"
"This is not a conversation we're going to have."

Definitely the best volume so far, both art and story-wise. Creative and amusing and getting quite interesting now, I'm very intrigued as to how things are going to play out. And a couple visits from my favorite recurring guest character, woo!

Also, another Pauly story. I'm still not sure if I think they're brilliant or if I hate them. ...Or both. Probably both. ( )
  .Monkey. | Feb 4, 2014 |

White whale surfaces

To interconnect stories

With peculiar ends.

(legallypuzzled)

In order to harness his extraordinary powers, Tom Taylor must sail the seas of one of the greatest stories ever told, and hunt the white whale that has left countless stories of myth and madness in its wake. Meanwhile, his friends are hunted by a dangerous new enemy-- and face identity crises of their own.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,262,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible