The Unwritten, Volume 4: Leviathan by Mike…

The Unwritten, Volume 4: Leviathan (edition 2011)

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross

Other authors:Peter Gross
Info:Vertigo (2011), Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:comic, fantasy, stories

The Unwritten Vol. 4: Leviathan by Mike Carey

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
In this storyline, the different threads come together and start to delineate THE STORY behind the stories. Tom is going through a sort of ‘rite of passage’, allowing him to think of his role with a new perspective.

I absolutely love the way that different narrations are used to explain the why and the now: flashback and present day overlap, vignette stories are presented as interlude, and Tom is thrown once again in well-known stories.

All this without taking into account master puppeteer and breach of fiction into reality, or is it the other way around?

Recommended for those of you who have feared boredom and were dissatisfied with part of Vol. 2 and Vol. 3. I’m looking forward the next part. ( )
  electrice | May 15, 2014 |
"I wonder if all boy wizards refer to their wand as 'she.' From the shape of the thing, you'd think--"
"This is not a conversation we're going to have."

Definitely the best volume so far, both art and story-wise. Creative and amusing and getting quite interesting now, I'm very intrigued as to how things are going to play out. And a couple visits from my favorite recurring guest character, woo!

Also, another Pauly story. I'm still not sure if I think they're brilliant or if I hate them. ...Or both. Probably both. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Feb 4, 2014 |
I was going to start my review with one of the few bits of Star Trek "trivia" I know -- the even-numbered films are the better ones; the odd-numbered ones are worse. The Unwritten comes awfully close to being the inverse -- the even-numbered books aren't quite as strong as the odd-numbered ones. But I don't know if that's entirely fair.

In this story arc, Tom's trio gets very involved in Moby-Dick -- there's not really a whole lot of action to move the story along. We do find out a little more of Tom's powers (or, perhaps, the powers Tommy can control). There's also a new villain introduced even though we know very little about her. On the surface, this entry seemed pretty boring, but now that I've had a little time to think about it, the plotting does work and will likely be important later in the story. (There are very interesting developments with Tom's partners, which will definitely have repercussions later.)

This volume ends -- like #2 -- with a bizarre fairy tale, filled with mostly very cute animals juxtaposed with one who has a filthy mouth. I know the "evil" characters are supposed to be those from our main story -- even when we haven't met them yet -- but I just don't find these diversions interesting.

------------------------
LT Haiku:

White whale surfaces
To interconnect stories
With peculiar ends. ( )
  legallypuzzled | Oct 17, 2013 |
The danger with a series like this is that the more adventurous and ambitious it gets, the greater the chance that it falls hard and deep. But this issue is a gem, with the storytelling becoming ever more creative and out there. And even though more mystery is introduced, there are answers (or at least part of them) scattered all over.

The final story in this TPB does not even seem related to the main story arc, yet it does not feel out of place and is deeply satisfying. ( )
  Bert.Cielen | Oct 16, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |

White whale surfaces

To interconnect stories

With peculiar ends.

(legallypuzzled)

In order to harness his extraordinary powers, Tom Taylor must sail the seas of one of the greatest stories ever told, and hunt the white whale that has left countless stories of myth and madness in its wake. Meanwhile, his friends are hunted by a dangerous new enemy-- and face identity crises of their own.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,656,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible