The Unwritten Vol. 4: Leviathan by Mike…

The Unwritten Vol. 4: Leviathan (edition 2011)

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross (Illustrator)

188None63,017 (4.1)20
Member:tortoise
Title:The Unwritten Vol. 4: Leviathan
Authors:Mike Carey
Other authors:Peter Gross (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2011), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Read in 2012 (Micah)
Tags:fiction, comic, fantasy

The Unwritten Vol. 4: Leviathan by Mike Carey

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
"I wonder if all boy wizards refer to their wand as 'she.' From the shape of the thing, you'd think--"
"This is not a conversation we're going to have."

Definitely the best volume so far, both art and story-wise. Creative and amusing and getting quite interesting now, I'm very intrigued as to how things are going to play out. And a couple visits from my favorite recurring guest character, woo!

Also, another Pauly story. I'm still not sure if I think they're brilliant or if I hate them. ...Or both. Probably both. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Feb 4, 2014 |
I was going to start my review with one of the few bits of Star Trek "trivia" I know -- the even-numbered films are the better ones; the odd-numbered ones are worse. The Unwritten comes awfully close to being the inverse -- the even-numbered books aren't quite as strong as the odd-numbered ones. But I don't know if that's entirely fair.

In this story arc, Tom's trio gets very involved in Moby-Dick -- there's not really a whole lot of action to move the story along. We do find out a little more of Tom's powers (or, perhaps, the powers Tommy can control). There's also a new villain introduced even though we know very little about her. On the surface, this entry seemed pretty boring, but now that I've had a little time to think about it, the plotting does work and will likely be important later in the story. (There are very interesting developments with Tom's partners, which will definitely have repercussions later.)

This volume ends -- like #2 -- with a bizarre fairy tale, filled with mostly very cute animals juxtaposed with one who has a filthy mouth. I know the "evil" characters are supposed to be those from our main story -- even when we haven't met them yet -- but I just don't find these diversions interesting.

------------------------
LT Haiku:

White whale surfaces
To interconnect stories
With peculiar ends. ( )
  legallypuzzled | Oct 17, 2013 |
The danger with a series like this is that the more adventurous and ambitious it gets, the greater the chance that it falls hard and deep. But this issue is a gem, with the storytelling becoming ever more creative and out there. And even though more mystery is introduced, there are answers (or at least part of them) scattered all over.

The final story in this TPB does not even seem related to the main story arc, yet it does not feel out of place and is deeply satisfying. ( )
  Bert.Cielen | Oct 16, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
Joy! With this the fourth volume, it seems the Unwritten series, full of promise and interesting concepts right from the start, finally kicks into full potential, becoming all I hoped it would be. It’s like everything takes one more step: the literary allusions (love the gathering in the belly of the whale!), the meta level (love how Tom wrestles his way into the narrative panels of the Moby Dick world!), the cast (love the tacky vampire transformation and the puppeteer lady!) and the world building. And to top off the whole thing, we get a concluding short story about what happened to Pauly the foul-mouthed rabbit, a twisted wedding between Kafka and Carroll that is a chilling joy to read.

Always enjoyed this series, but am now officially stoked. ( )
  GingerbreadMan | Nov 25, 2012 |

White whale surfaces

To interconnect stories

With peculiar ends.

(legallypuzzled)

In order to harness his extraordinary powers, Tom Taylor must sail the seas of one of the greatest stories ever told, and hunt the white whale that has left countless stories of myth and madness in its wake. Meanwhile, his friends are hunted by a dangerous new enemy-- and face identity crises of their own.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible