The Black Stallion and Flame by Walter…

The Black Stallion and Flame (1960)

by Walter Farley

I was never a fan of Flame's books. The first one was okay, but after that things kind of went far down hill. That said, I think of this one more as the Black's story than Flame's. Still, there comes a time when enough is enough and you have to say we've visited the island for the last time, otherwise the getting there feels a little forced. I don't have much trouble getting past that in this book, though. Even though it is a little contrived, the action moves along and we get to imagine the things happening on the pages with such clarity that it feels as if you are there. It is maybe not the best of the series, but it certainly isn't the worst.

Farley always writes good adventure stories. When picking up a book like this you have to remember it is meant to be an adventure, not a historically factual work, nor is it meant have a base in scientific fact. When you pick up a science fiction book about Star Trek, you don't do it and then spend your time grumbling about the fact that none of the space travel stuff makes sense. When you watch Back to the Future, you don't argue about time travel, you just enjoy the show. Likewise with the Black's books. If you really love the series, if you really love the old-time adventure style stories, you let yourself get caught up in the action, not the details. If you do find yourself preferring fact over fun, then maybe this particular adventure series isn't the thing for you. Most fans of Walter Farley and the Black will be certain to keep it in their library and relive it again and again. ( )
  mirrani | Aug 17, 2014 |
9/2012 Oh, man. I re-read this before I noticed it was on my never-again shelf. Seriously: never again! This one is crammed full of cliches and ridiculousness. Stay away.

8/2011 Didn't hold up so well, sadly. A rabid vampire bat? Rilly? *sigh* So many things wrong here, starting with the bat's behaviour. No, no, no!

All the Flame books disappointed me this go-round, and they won't be staying on the shelf any longer. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read all of the Black Stallion books when I was a child and I loved them. I still have the book. ( )
  cinamingrl | Oct 25, 2008 |
Like a giant bat the transatlantic plane flew through the night, using sensitive antennas to find its way.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679820205, Paperback)

While flying to a race, Alec Ramsay and the Black’s plane crash-lands in the stormy Caribbean. Chance brings the Black to the hidden island home of the giant red stallion, Flame. Such a small island can only support one alpha male. But before the two can fight–a fight that can only result in the death of one–a new danger appears. Together, can the stallions defeat the deadly foe which threatens the lives of the entire herd of wild horses?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:47 -0400)

A plane wreck at sea separates Alec and the Black until the search for a rabid vampire bat leads the boy to Flame's island sanctuary.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,496,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible