The Black Stallion and Flame by Walter…

The Black Stallion and Flame (1960)

by Walter Farley

9/2012 Oh, man. I re-read this before I noticed it was on my never-again shelf. Seriously: never again! This one is crammed full of cliches and ridiculousness. Stay away.

8/2011 Didn't hold up so well, sadly. A rabid vampire bat? Rilly? *sigh* So many things wrong here, starting with the bat's behaviour. No, no, no!

All the Flame books disappointed me this go-round, and they won't be staying on the shelf any longer. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read all of the Black Stallion books when I was a child and I loved them. I still have the book. ( )
  cinamingrl | Oct 25, 2008 |
Like a giant bat the transatlantic plane flew through the night, using sensitive antennas to find its way.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679820205, Paperback)

While flying to a race, Alec Ramsay and the Black’s plane crash-lands in the stormy Caribbean. Chance brings the Black to the hidden island home of the giant red stallion, Flame. Such a small island can only support one alpha male. But before the two can fight–a fight that can only result in the death of one–a new danger appears. Together, can the stallions defeat the deadly foe which threatens the lives of the entire herd of wild horses?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:47 -0400)

A plane wreck at sea separates Alec and the Black until the search for a rabid vampire bat leads the boy to Flame's island sanctuary.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible