The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook: More Than 200…

The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook: More Than 200 Fibers, from Animal to Spun…

by Carol Ekarius, Deborah Robson (Author)

Deborah Robson and Carol Ekarius began writing the Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook after the United Nations declared that 2009 would be the International Year of Natural Fibers. The declaration was an environmental one as the process of producing synthetic fibers released harmful compounds into the air. The result was smog and many health problems for people who lived near the areas where they were produced. The book was published in 2011.

As a person who spins fiber into yarn, having a book with information on 200 different sheep and other animals is quite resourceful to have on my bookshelf. The hair, or fiber, that is shorn from each type of animal has different characteristics and may need to be spun a certain way. A spinner may need to purchase more fiber from a particular species to complete a project than from another species. Having all of this information at your fingertips helps in making purchasing decisions.

When an animal can be grouped into a category, it is. For example, there is the cheviot family of sheep, a down family, English longwool family, merino family and others. Goats, camelids, bison, yak, rabbits and musk ox are also covered. Note that a camelid can be an alpaca, llama, guanaco, vicuna or camel.

For each animal there is a description of its traits, facts on its fleece weight, length, diameter, lock characteristics and natural colors. There is also information on how to prepare it for spinning, how well it takes dyes and the types of garments that it is best suited for. You can see with all this information at hand, the spinner or weaver basically has a goof proof guide to selecting the best fiber for a project.

This is a must read for all spinners! ( )
  Violette62 | Jan 30, 2019 |
This book is a must if you are interested in learning about the various types of fleeces, their characteristics, and the type of yarn they produce. Don't buy a fleece without consulting this book! ( )
  KimberlyBurnette | Jun 8, 2018 |
Describes every sheep and its wool
  SHCG | Aug 4, 2015 |
Okay, I have to give this 5 stars because I wrote it and I know what went into it. I do know that there was more I wanted to write, but we ran out of time. I wish I knew how to add the cover image! I have one right here on my computer. / Hmm. I also am trying to change from the e-book edition (which I have not seen yet, although I know it exists) to the physical book, which isn't in the database. Can you guess that I'm relatively new here? I signed up about the time I started researching Fleece & Fiber, at which point I suddenly didn't have time for anything else. . . . ( )
  robson663 | Jun 20, 2014 |
Okay, working on getting this book categorized correctly. I'm the author. Yes, I think it's five-stars good, although I was going for ten and ran out of time! ( )
  robson663 | Jun 20, 2014 |

Carol Ekariusprimary authorall editionscalculated
Robson, DeborahAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sometime in antiquity (no one is sure exactly when, but we'll tell you what is known on the subject in chapter one) a human discovered that fibers could be twisted and pulled to create a cord. this twisting and pulling of fibers probably occurred quite by happenstance, yet what a profound impact it came to have on humanity.

Well illustrated, beautifully produced.

Lists the animal, animals characteristics, wool's characteristics. Example Dorset horn and polled Dorset facts: Fleece weight, staple length, fiber diameters, lock characteristics "dense locks, with strong but irregular crimp in the fibers that is also evident in the staple formation." natural colors...
Using Dorset horn and polled Dorset fiber: dyeing "whites are very white and so will take colors clearly"
Fiber preparation and spinning tips; knitting, crocheting, and weaving; best known for: Versatile medium wool, cleanly white in most cases with some black sheep as well.

Fully illustrated with examples of clean and raw fibers and with examples of 2-ply combed and carded yarn. in both polled Dorset and Dorset horn (black and white). includes tips : "Dry, sticky tips prevented good woolen preparation. With tips removed, the worsted yarn turned out much better."

This photographic encyclopedia features more than 200 animals and the fibers they produce. It covers almost every sheep breed in the world. It also includes goats, camelids (such as alpacas, llamas, and vicunas), bison, horses, musk oxen, rabbits, and even dogs. Each entry includes photographs of the featured animal; samples of its raw fleece, its cleaned fleece, and yarn spun from the fleece; and samples of the yarn knit and woven. --from publisher description… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible