The Complete Strangers in Paradise: Volume 1…

The Complete Strangers in Paradise: Volume 1 (1995)

by Terry Moore

English (8)  Italian (1)  All languages (9)
The series has beautiful black and white line art throughout. It's the main reason I ever started it. Terry Moore is a masterly graphic artist and a riveting storyteller. I suspect I'll read anything he puts out. That said, I prefer Rachel Rising (horror) and Echo (science fiction), personally. SiP (as fans tend to call it) is a work focused almost entirely on how people relate to each other.

What an odd duck. This thing is described in quite a wide variety of ways, and mostly accurately. It's resemblance to a soap opera, happily, is all in the title. For that, it's a bit too realistic, too low in character count, too well-written, too laden with mafia intrigue/action, and too often taught in college literature classes. I'm curious as to why though. I wouldn't teach it in mine. It's not *that* good. It might be particularly relevant to a fem lit class, however, which might elevate the collegiate value of the book because of what it says and how it says it from a sociocultural standpoint rather than from a literary one. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
Not my favorite of the little I have just recently read of Mr. Moore, but good. A story about two friends, basically opposites of each other, and how they deal with the nasties of life. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
it was alright. ( )
  fighterofevil | Aug 26, 2014 |
2012 Reread: I got lost in this for a month. My very first full reread since the series hit its ending. Since I knew where it would start and go and end up. It was just as terrible, wonderful, painful, heartbreaking, heart healing, amazing as every other read. I never stop knowing my heart belongs to this. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
I'm a latecomer to this series, but I'm enjoying what I've read so far. It's well-drawn (in terms of both artwork and character development), engaging, and funny. ( )
  extrajoker | Jul 5, 2009 |

Moore, TerryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giromini, FerruccioForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ivaldi, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
10 years ago... Puncture High School.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159497215X, Paperback)

Strangers in Paradise is the story of three friends, Francine, Katchoo and David, and the people they fall in and out of love with. It's a tale of dark pasts and hopeful futures, double-crosses and true friendship, love and hate. In other words, it's a story of real life, kicked up a notch. His characters live and breathe so vividly that it shows how much he loves them and induces the reader to love them, too. Moore's artwork is consistently gorgeous--darkly cute, conveying emotion with subtle grace and a human touch. Strangers in Paradise is one soap opera no one should miss. --Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

A "three-way" tale of unrequited love with four main characters: Francine Peters, Katina "Katchoo" Choovanski, Freddie Femur and David Qin-- all trying to sort out their confusing lives, and the equally confusing, "chain-reaction" of attractions they have for one another.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,132,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible