The Dead of the Night by John Marsden

The Dead of the Night (1995)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (2)

This is the second book in the Tomorrow series Marsden, it was an okay continuation of the Tomorrow series by Marsden.

Ellie and her five friends are still struggling to survive after unknown enemies invaded their small Australian town. Two of their friends have been taken behind enemy lines and Ellie and Homer work together with the other to mount a rescue mission. They are all struggling with the larger question of how to make a difference and fight this invasion on their own terms. They are also hoping to find another group of natives to work with and really make a difference in this war.

My main complaint with this book is that it's a short book and not much happens. There are vast sections of nothingness while we wait for the characters to get to the next interesting event. While this does a good job of conveying the boredom interspersed by spurts of deadly scenarios, it's not that exciting to read about. After reading this book I understand how the series can go on for seven books, it just progresses incredibly slowly.

All the characters are okay. The book is told completely from Ellie’s POV which means we see all of the other characters colored by her perspective. There wasn’t as much interesting survival in this book; there were more conflicts between the characters and lots of discussion about how to make a difference to the war effort.

Ellie rehashes her feelings over and over again; feelings about killing, about violence, and about how the rest of the world is reacting. There is just too much of this and not enough action. I found a lot of it to be quite boring. Some of the discussion is good, but similar themes are just repeated over and over.

We don’t really learn a lot more about “the enemy” either. Most of the questions asked in the first book remain largely unanswered.

Overall this was an okay addition to the series but I probably won't read any more of this series. The idea is interesting, however I am not a huge fan of war stories. I do enjoy survival stories, but there is a lot less survival stuff in this book than there was in the first book. I also feel like the story moves very slowly and the characters in here aren't my favorite either. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 19, 2016 |
264 pages. Get it from your library Takes place a few weeks after the events of book 1. Marsden continues to explore the theme of children turning into soldiers.

Book is ok for most teens not really one I'd let my pre teen read. I'm going read all the books in the series. But reading books about Aussie teen commandos will probably get me to swear of the genre for along time.

Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
The Dead of Night by John Marsden is the second in his Tomorrow Series and it’s taken me far too long to return to this series. I read the first one a couple of years ago and was quite taken with it’s realistically depicted story of invasion and guerrilla warfare as seen through the eyes of a teenager as her country, obviously Australia, is invaded.

In this outing, the little group has dwindled to six. They are still taking refuge in the remote bush area called Hell with occasional trips to the outskirts of their town to pick up supplies and information. Things are slowly changing as the enemy is gaining a strong foothold in the country and on one trip for supplies they are surprised to see colonists are being brought in and given homes and land to cultivate. Still defiant and wanting to stay free, they undertake a couple of expeditions to thwart the enemy and also one to check the next inhabited valley over to see what the conditions are like there.

These stories are full of action, yet to me, still seems authentic. Ellie and her friends are first and foremost trying to survive and make sense out of what is happening. There are moral choices and facing up to great loss, as they realize that their freedom will come with a terrible cost. The group dynamics are interesting as natural leaders emerge and each member’s strengths and weaknesses are exposed. I look forward to the next book and seeing what this group next decides to do. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Nov 3, 2014 |
I love this series!!!! ( )
  capriciousreader | Dec 20, 2013 |
Review to follow :) ( )
  Sugar_and_Snark | Sep 24, 2013 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dougherty, SuziNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Gelder, MollyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother Sam, a loved and loving man.
Damn this writing. I'd rather sleep. God how I'd lvoe to sleep. But I can't. It's been a long time since I had a peaceful night's sleep. Not since I went to Hell.
Originally published in Australia as The Dead Of The Night, republished as The Dead of Night in the US.

War rages on! The second installment of the internationally bestselling Tomorrow series is even more action-packed than the first...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:20 -0400)

A few months after the first fighter jets landed in their own backyard, Ellie and her five terrified but defiant friends struggle to survive amid a baffling conflict. Their families are unreachable; the mountains are now their home. When two of them fall behind enemy lines, Ellie knows what must happen next: a rescue mission. Homer, the strongest and most unpredictable among them, is the one to take charge. While others have their doubts about his abilities, Homer has no choice but to prove them wrong - or risk losing everything to the enemy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,326,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible