The Dead Of Night (The Tomorrow Series #2)…

The Dead Of Night (The Tomorrow Series #2) (original 1995; edition 2006)

by John Marsden

Member:Chatterbox
Title:The Dead Of Night (The Tomorrow Series #2)
Authors:John Marsden
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2006), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, YA, Dystopia, Kindle

The Dead of the Night by John Marsden (1995)

READ IN DUTCH

I've read the first four books so far (as I haven't been able to find the last three books in my library yet), and for me, this series was a great surprise! I had been willing to read the Tomorrow series for years, but somehow I never really got to the point where I would buy and eventually read them. Till last year! And I may say that I thought it to be the best series I've read that year! This second book, I thought it to be thrilling, and I love the fact that (even though the things that happen are terrible) the story is original and full of suspense! I would recommend this book to a lot of people, but please read the first book first! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
I love this series!!!! ( )
  capriciousreader | Dec 20, 2013 |
'The Dead of the Night' takes place a short time after we left off with 'Tomorrow When the War Began'. I somehow managed to forget that reading these books is a bit like being steam rolled. Things just keep happening and happening and boom!

I actually forgot how violent these novels are, which surprises me. They're not overly violent as such, but more so than most of the young adult books I have read. And it's not like the violence is glossed over. There's the sense of horror before something happens, the actual shock of it happening and then the aftermath. There's no shying away from it, which is something I really like. I'm not a fan of details being forgotten in favour of ridiculous sub-plots, which doesn't happen here (yay!)

One important factor is the character development, there's a risk when there's a group of characters that some will seem like filler; but none of them do. They all have their individual traits, and their individual problems that are all dealt with well (although of course, viewed through the eyes of our narrator, Ellie).

The story flows well and it's a quick read. Yet again the e-book version is not great, though it is much better than the first one. There's still a few mistakes here and there, which is unfortunate.

I am quite invested in what happens to this group of teenagers next (even though I know how it all ends). Ellie is a good, strong female character. She does have her moments of being annoying, but that's just teenagers I suppose.

A very good adventure story so far. I have a feeling I won't be reading anything else until I've finished all 7 books! ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
Review to follow :) ( )
  Sugar_and_Snark | Sep 24, 2013 |
This story was harder, emotionally, to read than Tomorrow, the Day the War Began. I think because you begin to feel what the characters are feeling...weary, discouraged, uncertain of any kind of future. But continuing the journey of Ellie and her companions is a must, so I will eagerly move on to the next book in this series and hope that eventually the world begins to make more sense for these brave young souls. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dougherty, SuziNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Gelder, MollyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother Sam, a loved and loving man.
Damn this writing.
Originally published in Australia as The Dead Of The Night, republished as The Dead of Night in the US.

War rages on! The second installment of the internationally bestselling Tomorrow series is even more action-packed than the first...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:54 -0400)

A few months after the first fighter jets landed in their own backyard, Ellie and her five terrified but defiant friends struggle to survive amid a baffling conflict. Their families are unreachable; the mountains are now their home. When two of them fall behind enemy lines, Ellie knows what must happen next: a rescue mission. Homer, the strongest and most unpredictable among them, is the one to take charge. While others have their doubts about his abilities, Homer has no choice but to prove them wrong - or risk losing everything to the enemy.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible