Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3 by Naoko…

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3

by Naoko Takeuchi

209555,966 (3.92)None

English (4)  Italian (1)  All languages (5)
The Sailor Moon manga clips along at break-neck pace, with the first story arc (which took 46 episodes in the anime version!) wraps up half-way through volume three! The anime does have an epic two-part finale to Season 1 (The Sailor Warriors Die! The Tragic Final Battle! was actually the episode title in the Japanese version. Of course the American version butchered it, trying to edit two episodes down into one episode and trying to make it seem like the girls didn't die.)

But anyways, the manga version is quite different. It involves more . . . stabbing and slashing with that huge sword that never made it into the show. With Naoko-sama's quick, sketchy drawings there really isn't anything that looks gory or violent. It's more the suggestion of action. We also get to see more of Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask's powers and how they relate to his planet (since he is supposed to be the Earth.) In the anime version he can pretty much only throw his magical roses, but in the manga he also performs remote viewing, can feel the damage done to the planet, and has healing powers.

As the first story arc wraps up, Usagi and Mamoru are together, meaning Princess Serenity and Prince Endymion are finally reunited and able to attain the happy ending they were denied in their past lives. Usagi has come to accept her past incarnation, but she is also confident and comfortable saying that she definitely is Usagi Tsukino. Usagi is more than just a "borrowed form," and she is not willing to give up her life as a modern teenager, with parents and friends, to rule over the newly restored Moon Kingdom. At this point the spirit of the long dead Queen Serenity appears, agreeing with her and telling her to have a life full of joy with the one she loves on Earth.

The second story arc takes us into what was Sailor Moon R of the anime series. A tiny girl with Usagi's hair style and Usagi's name falls literally out of the sky and into their lives. Who is she and where is she from? The first time she meets her she points a gun at Usagi's head!

The first story arc dealt with past lives and a fairy-tale like magic kingdom, the second story arc changes gears, delving into conspiracy theories, UFO sightings and spontaneous human combustion. When Rei agrees to help the Supernatural Research Club at her school's fair by running the fortune telling booth, the club president tells her all about the wave of UFO sightings and cases of spontaneous human combustion that have been happening in Japan. Rei has a bad premonition and fears their new enemy may already be among them. The nuns at Rei's private school have strange black marks appearing on their heads, and Rei finds one of them burned to death. At the school fair another girl sets up a rival fortune telling booth, but her fortunes all involve death.

As I side note, I find it interesting that Rei, who is established as a miko shrine priestess and was raised in a Shinto temple by her grandfather, is attending a Catholic school. In this volume we learn her mother died of illness when Rei was young, and her father is involved in politics "or something" and doesn't appear to have anything to do with his daughter.

We also learn Ami's parents are divorced, and while her mother is a doctor who lives in an upscale apartment, as seen in the previous volume, her father is a painter of traditional Japanese art. It's interesting and I'm glad we're getting to see some more information on the rest of the Sailor Guardians. I'm enjoying how the conspiracy theory/alien abduction vibe is much more strongly presented in the manga than it was in the anime version. And despite the anime version having more time - the first season was 46 episodes, the second 43) it never gave us details on the girl's parents or let us see what Rei's school was like. Also, I'm ridiculously amused that in the manga version the girls confide in the arcade guy and let him on their secret identities!

I'm really enjoying rereading the manga in the shiny new Kodansha translations. It's a lot of fun. ( )
  catfantastic | Oct 12, 2013 |
Sailor Moon Vol. 3 (Sailor Moon (Kodansha)) RATING: 3.5 stars

Good volume but the start of the second arc was a bit confusing. Too much happening in the panels.

---------------------------------------
Portuguese review:

Quem cresceu na década de 90 (ou mesmo mais tarde, com as repetições dos desenhos animados no canal Panda) não terá, certamente, deixado de ouvir falar dasNavegantes da Lua. Esta série de 200 episódios conta a história de cinco guerreiras mágicas que protegem a Terra de ameaças exteriores, nomeadamente extraterrestres malignos que querem conquistar o planeta (e são certamente a inspiração de séries como as Winx e outras que tais).

Navegantes da Lua (fonte: The Oracle)

Estas guerreiras são originárias da Lua, onde há muito tempo atrás (relativamente aos anos 90 do século XX) existiu um reino chamado Milénio Prateado. Este reino era governado por uma rainha, a Rainha Serenidade, que tinha uma filha, a Princesa Serenidade. Os habitantes da Lua eram quase imortais e possuíam grandes poderes (a Rainha Serenidade foi provavelmente venerada na Terra como a deusa da lua, Selena), mas o seu Reino foi destruído por forças obscuras. A princesa Serenidade e as suas companheiras renasceram como raparigas humanas na Terra.

Esta é a história base de uma das séries animadas mais populares entre as crianças na década de 90. Quem não conhecia as navegantes da lua, o Luna, a Artemisa e o Mascarado?

Rainha Beryl (fonte: The Oracle)

O que muita gente provavelmente desconhece é que esta série é de origem japonesa (anime) e é baseada numa banda desenhada (manga) com o mesmo título, da autoria de Naoko Takeuchi.

Uma vez que As Navegantes da Lua eram um dos meus desenhos animados favoritos quando era mais nova, fiquei muito interessada quando soube que o manga ia ser re-editado nos EUA, com uma nova tradução e um novo visual. Tenho vindo a coleccionar estas novas versões e li recentemente o terceiro volume.

É delicioso ver as diferenças entre o anime e o manga. No manga as coisas acontecem mais depressa e não se arrastam como acontece com o anime. As Navegantes têm diversas armas ao seu dispor, que incluem mais do que apenas os seus poderes místicos. Neste volume a Navegante de Vénus utiliza uma espada sagrada para derrotar a Rainha Beryl, coisa que não acontece no anime. O Mascarado, pelo contrário, tem poderes místicos para complementar as suas armas (o que, novamente, não acontece no anime).

A espada da Navegante de Vénus

Foi um volume bastante interessante; é neste livro que se dá o clímax da primeira série ou história e as Navegantes derrotam finalmente a Rainha Beryl e o terrível monstro Metalia.

A segunda parte do volume contém os primeiros capítulos de uma nova história que os fans do anime não deixarão de reconhecer: aparece a misteriosa Chibi-usa e os poderosos habitantes da Lua Negra.

Achei que as vinhetas pareciam um bocado confusas e com demasiada informação nesta segunda metade do livro, mas de resto gostei. A história é interessante (embora não seja exactamente uma surpresa), as personagens são cativantes e fortes (bons modelos femininos) e a arte é bastante boa para um título shoujo.

Resumindo, uma boa adição à série. Agora é só ler o resto e esperar pelo remake do anime, previsto para 2013. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
It's not like I wasn't familiar with this plot. I read the entire series back in its first English incarnation, and while that was hardly the gold standard of Japanese-to-English translation, the story itself came through. But it's only on rereading it in this edition, years later, that I'm realizing what a little bloodbath this series is, all wrapped up in romance and silver crystals. Oddly, the high death toll never seems to faze our heroines, which annoys me a bit. No, I never expected a dark angst-ridden story and it wouldn't fit this genre anyway. But the way the girls have no long-term effects from either the violence they suffer or that they inflict seems as magical and fantastical as their being reincarnated planetary princesses accompanied by talking cats.

But on to other matters. The Dark Kingdom story arc wraps up fairly satisfactorily and the Black Moon arc begins. The Black Moon arc has its faults—I'm still not wild about how time-compressed events can feel in this series—but overall, it seems like Takeuchi was finding her balance and things flow better in this arc. The dialogue seems clunky in spots; I'm not sure if that's because of the translation or if it sounds stilted in Japanese as well. Wow, I'd forgotten about Chibi-Usa's gun scene. The original manga was published in the 1990's in a country without much in the way of gun violence, and I know that, but it's now impossible for me to read that scene without thinking of real-life incidents with worse outcomes. Context is everything, I suppose. ( )
  Silvernfire | Mar 23, 2013 |
Review may contain spoilers for Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

The first major story arc of the Sailor Moon series concludes in Volume 3, as Sailor Moon and her friends defend the Earth from the evil forces of the Dark Kingdom. As the terrible Queen Metalia’s corrupting influence spreads across the globe, the tragic end of Sailor Moon’s past life is revealed, and history threatens to repeat itself once more. But ultimately, good triumphs over evil and peace settles over Japan…until a feisty pink-haired girl falls out of the sky and points a gun at Usagi’s head, demanding she hand over the “Legendary Silver Crystal” – Sailor Moon’s power source!

A quick note on the beginning of the book: I am thrilled that Kodansha decided to preserve the color pages at the beginning of the volume. Most manga publishers can’t be bothered to do so because of the expense, but it really looks fantastic when they do it.

We finally get some character development for some of the minor characters as more is revealed about life in the Moon Kingdom. It’s often quite subtle, covered in the background of a panel or two, but little hints are given about the romance between not only Serenity and Endymion but many of the other characters, too – including the villainess Queen Beryl, who finally reveals why she would partner with an entity as evil as Queen Metalia. (Side note: How can both women be queen? I can’t believe I just now noticed that… Shouldn’t one be a princess or the other an empress, or something?)

In the second half of the book – after an extremely abrupt transition between the story arcs that is frankly jarring - we learn more about the parents of Rei and Ami, and begin to see why the girls were so isolated before Usagi came along and befriended them. Unfortunately, these revelations largely come about as the series settles into an episodic pattern that the reader knows will be repeated for Sailors Jupiter and Venus in the next volume.

As in every volume, however, it’s Usagi who shows the most growth as a person. After the defeat of Queen Metalia, Luna informs Usagi that she can now become the new Queen of the Moon Kingdom. Usagi smiles and reminds her cat that she can’t – she has to return home to her parents. She may be the reincarnation of Princess Serenity and the powerful warrior Sailor Moon, but first and foremost she’s Usagi Tsukino, an utterly ordinary fourteen-year-old klutz who wants to live with her Mommy and Daddy. It’s very sweet.

It’s been really fun re-reading this series as each new volume comes out. Although this translation can be quite clunky at times – a boy describes Usagi and her friends as “bearing a whiff of secrets”, for example – it’s still so much better than the old Tokyopop version! ( )
2 vote makaiju | Jun 30, 2012 |
Do not combine the original print with the shinsouban. The original print for Sailor Moon has 18 volumes and the reprints (shinsouban: 新装版) have the chapters regrouped to complete in 12 volumes. Volume 3 for the original print contains Acts 10-12, while Volume 3 for the shinsouban contains Acts 12-16.

"Tuxedo Mask gone bad?! As more of her closest allies fall under the power of the evil Queen Beryl, Usagi comes closer to discovering the truth behind her past. The stage is set for an all-out battle for the fate of Earth between the Sailor Guardians and the forces of evil. But when the dust settles, a little girl calling herself Usagi falls from the sky and right into the arms of Mamoru. What is her connection to Sailor Moon and why does she want the Legendary Silver Crystal?"--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible