Kragepigen by Jerker Eriksson

Kragepigen (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Jerker Eriksson, Håkan Sundquist

Member:mai-britt
Title:Kragepigen
Authors:Jerker Eriksson
Other authors:Håkan Sundquist
Info:Kbh. : Lindhardt og Ringhof, 2011.

The Crow Girl by Erik Axl Sund (2010)

English (6)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
Dark and despairing!

A hard read that I had to keep putting aside for a while.
The abuse and trafficking of children is not something of which humanity can be proud. Add torture and sadism and the absence of light is completed.
The story (actually three novels extended into one which makes it a very long read!) drops into lines that are chilling and arresting. The two main character voices of Detective Superintendent Jeanette Kihlberg who leads the investigation the therapist Sofia Zetterlund wrap around each other in interesting ways. Sofia has several cases / patients / requests she's looking at. The sentencing of Tyra Mäkelä, the following up Victoria Bergman (a client she finds profoundly puzzling), a request from a social worker to see a war affected child from Sierra Leone, that sparks forgotten nightmare. All build a carefully weighed background to this extreme psychological thriller.
I found the writing style fascinating and the subject matter extremely challenging.
I love Scandinavian noir but this was way to black for me.
To sum up this is a five star, well written novel where the translator has worked their word smithing seamlessly and superbly all wrapped up in a two star appalling topic.
A novel for the most dedicated.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Jun 14, 2016 |
A young boys body is discovered, tortured and mummified. Jeanette Kihlberg is on the case. Sophia Zetterlund is drawn into the case which brings the two women together. Victoria Bergman is a mystery but holds the key to the whole story.

This book is massive. It was originally three seperate books, which have now been put together as one. The size didn't really matter as I was drawn straight into the story and was reading through it quite quickly.

What I enjoyed was Jeanettes story and what happens to her. I also enjoyed the sections belonging to Sophia and again what happens with her. Victoria's story is interesting but very harrowing. Which is the theme through the book. Its not for the faint hearted and is a tale of child abuse, pedophilia, murder and cannabilism. A very dark and disturbing tale this one is.

What I didnt like is that the book became over long and then became tedious. There were a lot of characters and at times I lost the plot with who was who. The first third of the book was the best bit. If I had got the books individually then I think after reading book one I may not have read anymore.

A good idea and lots of interesting and compelling elements in the book but way too long. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 7, 2016 |
I haven't read many books in swedish lately and therefor I'm unused by the way swedish authors write. Although this book took me a while to really get into, it had a lot to offer once I did. It's an unusual detective story in the way that it tackles a lot of psychology, abuse and rape of children, children soldiers etc, things that are sometimes hard to melt. But when I thought I had a rather good image of the important parts of the book, everything just fell apart and although there were of course hints to what kind of end would come, I was surprised and very delighted in the turn this book took. And to close it off, it ended with a cliffhanger, which makes the reader (at least me) wanting to grap for the next book in this trilogy. I have a thing for stories that involve psychology so it was very much an entertaining read. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This is the most unsettling story I have ever read. Very dark and scary.
Read it in one session, unputdownable.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Random House/Vintage Publications via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Mar 14, 2016 |
Ich habe das Buch ganz spontan gekauft, aufgrund der interessanten Kurzbeschreibung und ja, auch des sofort ins Auge springenden Covers. Die Buchhändlerin meinte noch mich warnen zu müssen mit den Worten "Das Buch ist aber schon sehr heftig". Genau aus dem Grund wollte ich es aber schließlich auch haben, das passte also bestens.

Die Geschichte vom Krähenmädchen ist zwar manchmal vorhersehbar, ein bisschen klischeehaft oder auch unglaubwürdig. Aber trotz all dieser Kritikpunkte habe ich das Buch regelrecht verschlungen und mich bei keinem einzigen Satz gelangweilt. Manchmal hat eben auch schlichter Trash seine Daseinsberechtigung, wenn er so packend geschrieben ist wie das vorliegende Buch.

Und das offene Ende stört auch nicht weiter, da ich die Fortsetzung auf jeden Fall lesen muss... ( )
  misspider | Feb 25, 2015 |

Erik Axl Sundprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Axlander Sundquist, Håkanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Eriksson, JerkerAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunkelt är vårt liv. Stor vår medfödda bevikelse - vilken gör att så många sagor överhuvud blomma i Skandinaviens skogar - dystert kolnar vårt hjärtas hungereld. Många blir kolvaktare vid sitt eget hjärtas mila; lägga i fördrömmelsens krymplingsskap örat till och höra hur det susande förbrinner.

Ur Nässlorna blomma av Harry Martinsson
Till minnet av en syster
Huset var hundra år gammalt och de gedigna stenväggarna var metertjocka, vilket betydde att hon antagligen inte behövde isolera dem, men hon ville vara på den säkra sidan.

6 wanted7 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,824,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible