Darkness Follows by Mike Dellosso

Darkness Follows

by Mike Dellosso

511,436,638 (4)None

I started reading Mike Dellosso’s work with Scream. I wasn’t impressed in all honesty. Then I tried again with Darlington Woods and that was rather quite good. Darkness Follows is Dellosso’s best and I can say with confidence that he has definitely grown into his writing chops now. By far his best novel, Darkness Follows is at once suspenseful, haunting, eerie, and downright scary at times. I’m glad I kept reading Dellosso and didn’t give up with his earlier works.

On the heels of a traumatic brain injury self-employed carpenter Sam Travis finds himself struggling with hallucinations – both visual and auditory – from the Civil War, but perhaps most disturbingly from sessions of automatic writing. Penned in his own hand, yet without any recollection of these writing episodes, Sam finds himself writing out journal entries from the Civil War; journal entries that speak of a darkness that Sam himself finds invading his life.

As the whirlwind of darkness from both the distant and near past threatens to overwhelm him, only the hope and light set forth before him by his family – a loving daughter and wife and their prayers – have any chance of redeeming his future.

Darkness Follows is certainly a thrill ride. From its first opening pages I was kept on tenterhooks wondering what was going on I did find that some of Dellosso’s doctrine was a bit murky as presented in the book – it was unclear if Sam was truly a Christian before the events recounted in the story, or if he only became one later in the story.

Personally, I do not believe that Christians are vulnerable to the types of events that Sam suffered from (it’s a bit tricky to phrase this without including spoilers). Again, this is a bit unclear, so I can’t say much here definitively. The conclusion is also a bit abrupt with explanations only being offered in one rapid wrap-up piece of ‘Scooby-Doo’ like revelation (a bit of a pet peeve of mine).

That being said, this is certainly a well-written work of supernatural suspense. Dellosso undoubtedly succeeded in keeping me flying through the pages of his latest work. As his craft continues to mature I have hopes that we will see some truly great books from him!

Reviewed at quiverfullfamily.com ( )
  jenniferbogart | Jun 23, 2011 |

Disabled Sam Travis discovers that a villainous Civil War soldier is trying to act through him, even to pushing away Sam's love for his wife and daughter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible