Reckoning by Lili St. Crow

Reckoning (edition 2011)

by Lili St. Crow (Author)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Reckoning
Authors:Lili St. Crow (Author)
Info:London : Quercus, 2011.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, december, library, paranormal, ya, vampires, werewolves

Reckoning by Lili St. Crow

I have mixed feelings about this book, and am going to (tentatively) give it a 2 star rating until my feelings about this book have solidified more.

The major strength of this series is the characters, and we do get to see everybody grow and change, which was a major plus. The sticking point for me is the ending.

Choosing to have Dru end up more or less alone at the end was an interesting stance to take, especially considering the rampant I'll-love-you-forever books overwhelming the YA genre right now. That being said, the ending also felt like a little bit of a cop-out. Graves opts to leave, promising to return later, citing his (fairly justifiable) personal issues. According to him, he needs to be "worth her" before he comes back. Christophe, meanwhile, remains behind and asks Dru if he has a chance. Dru is unsure, and Christophe says he's willing to wait.

This, I think, was a problematic way to handle the love triangle--not because Dru chooses to be alone, but because Dru NEVER CHOOSES AT ALL. Graves makes the decision for her by leaving, and Dru is devastated. Meanwhile, Christophe is getting majorly shafted by her lack of commitment to him. I mean, I was rooting for Graves until the end, and even I thought Christophe was getting screwed.

The other major problem in this situation for me was the massive Dru-worship that was going on at the end. I'm the first to admit that Dru is an awesome and hilarious character. But she's also flawed, and it bothered me that Graves felt he wasn't "worth her" at the end. In the prior books, their interactions had been fairly realistic: they both had their faults, and cared for each other despite (and because of!) them. And while it was sweet that Christophe was willing to wait for Dru, it was also kind of weirdly pathetic. Surely a super-hot, multi-lingual vampire can find a girl that's KIND OF interested in him? Heck, maybe that would kick Dru in gear.

Basically, I'm not sure that this book knew what it wanted to be--like the series as a whole, it jumps back and forth between funny and angsty, romantic and serious. While this can be handled well by some authors, as a reader, it felt like the author (or the publishing company) couldn't decide what kind of book (and series!) they wanted this to be. ( )
  Becky_Jean | Mar 31, 2013 |
Dru has no were to go she has been caught by Seregj and his clan. Now what? ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 14, 2013 |
Dru is on the run, in a stolen car with her best friend Graves and Ash, who still isn't right. She heads for her grandmother's house to try to figure out what she's going to do next, how she's going to cope with the world and with the people trying to kill her.

And as this is the last book in the series she deals with a lot of the issues, what disappointed me most about the book is how little I cared about anyone other than Graves and when I started to care about him he retreated to the background.

Not the worst series I've read but I felt it's left open for the author to expand on it, the story arc is done but the characters are somewhat left hanging. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 11, 2012 |
This is the last book in St. Crow's Strange Angel series... I have to say it is a MUST for anyone who enjoys YA paranormal!!!... Dru is a strong, fiesty, and somewhat sarcastic heroine and I loved her!... Christophe, well... what can I say? He smells yummy for one and I was rooting for him since the first book. Graves I loved how he was the loyal friend and a potential love interest... Overall this series was incredibly enjoyable and at times frustrating when I had to wait months before I could get the next one!!!! ( )
  pattully0896 | Oct 3, 2012 |
First off let me preface by saying how much I LOVED the first four books in this series! I devoured each one and couldn't WAIT for the next one in the series. I was so excited to finally get the last book in The Strange Angels series!
I love a kick butt heroine still growing into herself, learning along the way and learning from her triumphs and mistakes. I love Dru. The guys (Christophe & Graves) are also amazing in this series. *I* can see how she has a hard time figuring out how she feels about each one throughout the 5 books. I loved Christophe for his passion and Graves for his predictability.
I really really wanted to love this book! BUT...I didn't. Even though the writer's capability is beyond fault, I just found the plot lacking. It felt like everything happening in the book was...mehhh, OK-ish. All the scenes building up to the grand finale were ok. & regrettably, the final major scene was also only ok. Then, the coup-de-grace was the ending. All the so-so scenes could have been forgiven, if not for the ending. The ending was such a disappointment and all I think when I closed the book was "that was the end?" Everything I wanted to finally find out was left up in the air and left me feeling very unsatisfied. ( )
  bethsflutterby | Mar 6, 2012 |
For Christa Hickey, true blue.
Stealing a car was easy.

Dru, Graves, and a Broken wulf named Ash seek safety at Dru's grandmother's cabin in the Appalachian Mountains, but her wards and enchantments cannot keep Dru safe from a betrayal by the person she trusts most.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,650,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible