A Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts Aston

A Butterfly Is Patient (edition 2011)

by Dianna Hutts Aston, Sylvia Long (Illustrator)

Member:melodysickles
Title:A Butterfly Is Patient
Authors:Dianna Hutts Aston
Other authors:Sylvia Long (Illustrator)
Info:Chronicle Books (2011), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Science Notable, butterflies

A Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts Aston

I liked this book for the fact that it was very colorful and animated and as it talked about a certain type of butterfly the name would popup beside its picture. It was also very educational about a topic that I felt I would or should have known fairly well but I actually learned several facts that I hadn’t know and never even imagined. Like Monarchs fly as high as 11,000 feet and the largest butterfly is over a foot wide and lives in Papua New Guinea. Or that some butterflies are poisonous because as caterpillars they ate poisonous plants to keep birds from eating them when they became butterflies. I liked that when the book talked about the location of these butterflies it showed a world map with the location marked in red. This book I would say is definitely for an older child as it uses terms that I doubt younger children and even an adult might not know such as the Cretaceous period (40 million years ago). There were also some other large odd vocabulary words but they did give the meaning of those words, so that was helpful. Like Lepidoptera means scale wing and proboscis is their tongue. I liked that the book was so descriptive that it was easy to understand these big odd vocabulary words. I also liked that it was illustrated the way it was, showing what each butterfly looked like as a caterpillar and a butterfly. I like that the illustrations showed you how fast the caterpillar grew by lining up different stages of development on a twig and having the times labeled so that they could be compared. I felt that the author of this book wrote it in such a way that it showed the butterflies were so varied and really to teach you about butterflies. ( )
  Madams21 | Feb 3, 2014 |
A beautiful look at a butterfly and how patience can turn something into a beautiful butterfly. ( )
  rnelson12 | Jun 14, 2013 |
Review: Informational book about butterflies, beautiful illustrations!
Source: Pierce College Library
Age: 3-6 ( )
  toriwhelan | Apr 29, 2013 |
Butterfly lovers rejoice! Diana Jutts Aston and Sylvia Long - the author/illustrator team responsible for An Egg Is Quiet and A Seed Is Sleepy - turn their attention to our pieridine friends in this, their third natural history picture-book, and the result is a decided triumph! Like the previous two titles, A Butterfly Is Patient is meant to explore the world of a particular category of things (or creatures) - in this case: butterflies. Using a dual narrative in which a general, and rather poetic statement - "A butterfly is patient" / "A butterfly is helpful" - in larger print is paired on each two-page spread with a more detailed, factual paragraph in standard-sized font, the text is clearly intended to engage readers at a number of different levels.

Paired with Sylvia Long's gorgeous watercolor artwork, the end result is a lovely book that is sure to appeal to nature-lovers young and old! The decorative first and last pages (conveniently not the endpapers, which might be covered up by stickers in library copies) are given over to a wealth of caterpillars and butterflies, and the interior artwork is lushly colorful and detailed. With such an engaging textual format, and such beautiful illustrations, Aston and Long seem determined to prove (yet again) that educational doesn't have to mean boring or dry! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 10, 2013 |
I think my favorite thing about this book were the illustrations and the fact that each butterfly was labeled. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |

The creators of the award-winning An Egg Is Quiet and A Seed Is Sleepy have teamed up again to create this gorgeous and informative introduction to the world of butterflies. From iridescent blue swallowtails and brilliant orange monarchs to the worlds tiniest butterfly (Western Pygmy Blue) and the largest (Queen Alexandra's Birdwing), an incredible variety of butterflies are celebrated here in all of their beauty and wonder. Perfect for a child's bedroom bookshelf or for a classroom reading circle!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:37 -0400)

Colorful illustrations and simple text describe the many characteristics of butterflies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible