A Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts Aston

A Butterfly Is Patient (edition 2011)

by Dianna Hutts Aston, Sylvia Long (Illustrator)

Member:melodysickles
Title:A Butterfly Is Patient
Authors:Dianna Hutts Aston
Other authors:Sylvia Long (Illustrator)
Info:Chronicle Books (2011), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Science Notable, butterflies

A Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts Aston

This book is all about the life cycle of a butterfly. It goes through the different stages that a butterfly goes through in order to become a butterfly. It would be a great read aloud for a butterfly unit.
  sarahetuemmler | Sep 15, 2016 |
I appreciate that Dianna Hutts Aston and Sylvia Long published more books because students can become familiar with the author's poetic way of writing about science and also enjoy great illustrations. Key vocabulary include molt, chrysalis, metamorphosis, eyespots, and predators. This book would also be useful as another example of life cycles and paired with CC #4 systems and system models. Students could also look at the different parts of a butterfly and study the structure and function of each part (CC #6). ( )
  jdaniel14 | Sep 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book for a number of reasons. A Butterfly Is Patient is an informative text about butterflies and their life cycle. This book is most appropriate for second graders and above. I enjoyed this text because it had interesting, factual information. The book managed to flow from page to page, while having detailed illustrations to follow the text. I think this is a great book for children who are learning more about nature and the life cycle of different insects. The text was an easy read, as the text was age appropriate with creative illustrations. The big idea behind the text is to inform students on the life cycle of butterflies. The text also provides information on various types of butterflies around the world. ( )
  CheyenneSnider | Sep 5, 2016 |
Amazon had the kindle version of this gem on sale for 99¢ and I couldn't resist. I enjoy illustrated books and this didn't disappoint. The watercolor based renderings are pieces of artwork and while beautiful to look at, they are also educational.

Although the information included within the captions are geared toward children, I must say I learned a couple of new facts. I don't know if I would want to encounter the world's largest butterfly with a one-foot wing span, so thank goodness they are native to the rainforests of Papua New Guinea.

A gorgeous book that is recommended for children, nature or art lovers and the young at heart.
5 stars

Edited: I did a little happy dance, as I found three other illustrated books by the same authors, available through the local library. :) ( )
  Lisa805 | Jul 23, 2016 |
What a gorgeous book. Students will be captivated by the beautiful illustrations. Learn some great facts about different types of butterflies. ( )
  Patty6508 | Jul 19, 2016 |

Dianna Hutts Astonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Long, SylviaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The creators of the award-winning An Egg Is Quiet and A Seed Is Sleepy have teamed up again to create this gorgeous and informative introduction to the world of butterflies. From iridescent blue swallowtails and brilliant orange monarchs to the worlds tiniest butterfly (Western Pygmy Blue) and the largest (Queen Alexandra's Birdwing), an incredible variety of butterflies are celebrated here in all of their beauty and wonder. Perfect for a child's bedroom bookshelf or for a classroom reading circle!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Colorful illustrations and simple text describe the many characteristics of butterflies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,263,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible