A butterfly is patient by Dianna Hutts Aston

A butterfly is patient (edition 2011)

by Dianna Hutts Aston, Sylvia Long

Title:A butterfly is patient
Authors:Dianna Hutts Aston
Other authors:Sylvia Long
Info:San Francisco, Calif. : Chronicle Books, c2011.
Tags:Non-fiction, Picture book, 7 Black Butterflies, Acorn, the Nature Nut. Butterflies and Flutter-bys, the Nature Nut. Caterpiggies, Wiggles, and Wiggles

A Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts Aston

This informational book follows the life cycle of a butterfly. First it starts as a patient egg, followed by a creative caterpillar that forms a chrysalis and undergoes metamorphosis. Once the butterfly has hatched, the author explains that a butterfly helps by spreading pollen from the flowers - pollination. They are also protective: some have "eyespots" to scare away predators while others use camouflage or noises to scare predators away. They authors proceed to inform readers how some butterflies are poisonous, all are spectacular, thirsty, big or tiny, and even scaly! Butterflies are not moths but they do travel. Finally, the author explains how butterflies are magical and patient again... Just waiting to soar! ( )
  Miss_Annie_O | Nov 10, 2015 |
Beautiful and informative. This would be a great book to own. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 18, 2015 |
I liked this book for the fact that it was very colorful and animated and as it talked about a certain type of butterfly the name would popup beside its picture. It was also very educational about a topic that I felt I would or should have known fairly well but I actually learned several facts that I hadn’t know and never even imagined. Like Monarchs fly as high as 11,000 feet and the largest butterfly is over a foot wide and lives in Papua New Guinea. Or that some butterflies are poisonous because as caterpillars they ate poisonous plants to keep birds from eating them when they became butterflies. I liked that when the book talked about the location of these butterflies it showed a world map with the location marked in red. This book I would say is definitely for an older child as it uses terms that I doubt younger children and even an adult might not know such as the Cretaceous period (40 million years ago). There were also some other large odd vocabulary words but they did give the meaning of those words, so that was helpful. Like Lepidoptera means scale wing and proboscis is their tongue. I liked that the book was so descriptive that it was easy to understand these big odd vocabulary words. I also liked that it was illustrated the way it was, showing what each butterfly looked like as a caterpillar and a butterfly. I like that the illustrations showed you how fast the caterpillar grew by lining up different stages of development on a twig and having the times labeled so that they could be compared. I felt that the author of this book wrote it in such a way that it showed the butterflies were so varied and really to teach you about butterflies. ( )
  Madams21 | Feb 3, 2014 |
A beautiful look at a butterfly and how patience can turn something into a beautiful butterfly. ( )
  rnelson12 | Jun 14, 2013 |
Review: Informational book about butterflies, beautiful illustrations!
Source: Pierce College Library
Age: 3-6 ( )
  toriwhelan | Apr 29, 2013 |

The creators of the award-winning An Egg Is Quiet and A Seed Is Sleepy have teamed up again to create this gorgeous and informative introduction to the world of butterflies. From iridescent blue swallowtails and brilliant orange monarchs to the worlds tiniest butterfly (Western Pygmy Blue) and the largest (Queen Alexandra's Birdwing), an incredible variety of butterflies are celebrated here in all of their beauty and wonder. Perfect for a child's bedroom bookshelf or for a classroom reading circle!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Colorful illustrations and simple text describe the many characteristics of butterflies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible