DarkMarket: Cyberthieves, Cybercops and You…

DarkMarket: Cyberthieves, Cybercops and You

by Misha Glenny

English (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (5)
It's not really about how Hackers became the New Mafia, but more about how the world of credit card fraud works (worked?). Very interesting book. Scary. Great contact, but writing a little sensationalist, and it's hard to follow the myriad of names and nick names. Food for deep thought. ( )
  jvgravy | Dec 7, 2013 |
Lot of things I didn't know about. ( IAACA : International Association for the Advancement of Criminal Activity ... ) ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
This book has some interesting insights into a sub-culture that is still largely ignored by the general population. In contrast to how hackers and crackers are portraied in popular mainstream movies, the author paints a much more realistic picture of the typical involvedparties. It's likely that the description in the book is only the tip of the iceberg of what's really going on in the world of cyber crime.

Interesting read although I've lost track of the big picture towards the end due to too many different nicknames and related real life names from various countries. Maybe a table in the appendix or a couple of graphs would have helped. Instead, there's an index at the end which I didn't use at all. ( )
1 vote MartinRohrbach | Dec 19, 2011 |
Extremely readable - in this digital age when we are all connected to the internet and rely on banks and other institutions which use the web as a matter of course, we should be more aware of what goes on on the 'dark' side. This book both frightened me and also made me annoyed that I am such an upright citizen that it has never occurred to me to take advantage of the web to make money illegally, when many many others are doing so and getting away with it! Misha Glenny ( I think he always writes well informed/researched books) has managed to put the whole cyber-crime issue into a really digestible form for a lay-person such as myself. I have been boring people at dinner parties ever since I read this book! ( )
1 vote herschelian | Nov 18, 2011 |
Ny bog fortæller detaljeret og fængslende om optrevlingen af århundredets største kreditkort-fuskeri. Dit syn på it-sikkerhed vil snart ændre sig.
added by fnielsen | editComON, Kasper Villum Jensen (Sep 18, 2012)

An investigative reporter evaluates the capacity of the international law-enforcement community to combat cybercrime, offering insight into the personalities of online criminals and what motivates their activities.

21 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible