HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk…
Loading...

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles) (edition 2011)

by Kady Cross

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
73610412,684 (3.75)50
Member:sensitivemuse
Title:The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles)
Authors:Kady Cross
Info:Harlequin (2011), Edition: Original, Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****
Tags:None

Work details

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 50 mentions

English (102)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (104)
Showing 1-5 of 102 (next | show all)
Not the worst book I've ever read by any means but not the best either. The plot points were telegraphed chapters before they occurred and the writing style would be suitable for an eight plus age group but I had the impression that it was marketed toward the 14 market. The characters themselves were not bad but again I had the impression that these 16 to 20 year olds were acting closer to 12 - 16 at least on emotional level. If you want great steam punk try meljean brook instead.
Final verdict: Kady Cross can write but she needs to decide on her audience and stay focused. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I loved this book. I'm just now getting into the steampunk genre, and I'm wondering what took me so long!

There wasn't constant action throughout the story, but when there was, it was awesome. I love when a kick ass girl is a main character. Finley is a girl that is in constant battle with her "dark" side. Her dark side always seems to get her into trouble. I do love how she doesn't back down, and doesn't act timid or like a damsel in distress. She's a take charge type of gal. Griffin, a young duke, believes he can help her learn to control her other side.

The book is written in third person. I enjoyed seeing events through the eyes of different characters. It helped the story flow easily, and it gave us a look into the characters. We didn't see them through just one person's eyes. I had my suspicions about who the villain was about half way through the book, but his reasoning was still surprising at the end.

I wouldn't say there was a love triangle per se, but there was definitely a "like" triangle. It was nice to see the relationships put this way. There's no instant love, but there's also no denying the attraction that pulls Finley to the two gentlemen.

Definitely grab this book, you won't be able to put it down! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
This was a book club choice for a challenge to read a steampunk novel. This book was interesting because it was a genre I had never read before. I really loved the short story (100 pg.) that came with the book. The book itself was good but I felt like I would have liked it more if it was about half the length. I don't think anything would have been lost from the story if it had been edited down more. I would recommend to anyone that likes steampunk novels. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Finito qualche giorno fa, The girl in the steel corset (preferisco chiamarlo col suo titolo originale) è un romanzo steampunk, dai protagonisti adolescenti (16-20 anni), che mi è piaciuto molto per la sua ricchezza in termine di ambientazione e trama. La parte steampunk del romanzo, infatti, viene descritta e inglobata nell’epoca vittoriana in cui si svolge la storia in maniera veramente realistica dall’autrice. I “fumi” e i cigolii degli ingranaggi di queste incredibili invenzioni meccaniche vengono rese benissimo dalle descrizioni tanto da sentirli e poterli immaginare fin nei minimi particolari. E’ il primo romanzo steampunk che è riuscito a darmi un’idea vera di quello che tratta questo genere letterario, senza perdersi invece nello sfondo della trama principale del romanzo stesso. Per quanto riguarda la storia in sè, anche i personaggi e il mistero di base che fanno da filo portante mi sono piaciuti.
Finley, la protaginista che già vi avevo presentato nel racconto breve prequel alla serie The strange case of Finley Jayne, viene qui spiegata a trecentosessanta gradi. Dall’inizio in cui è la sua strana e inspiegabile forza la mette nei guai con il figlio dei suoi principali, all’incontro-scontro con Griffin -Duca di Greythorne- che le cambierà la vita.
Perchè sarà da questo incidente che finalmente scoprirà che esistono altri ragazzi che come lei hanno capacità particolari, ma sopratutto inizieranno a dipanarsi i misteri legati alle sue origini. Misteri che coinvolgono lo stesso Griff e gli organiti (organismi scoperti dal padre di Griff che aumentano le potenzialità dei macchinari e allo stesso tempo, se a contatto con ferite umane, le riparano in tempi brevissimi) e la porteranno vicino a comprendere la sua dualità alla Jeckyll e Hyde.
Per non perderci anche una parte un pò più “romantica” Finley, che già sente crescere un legame affettivo profondo (anche se per ora solo d’amicizia) con Griffin, intreccerà rapporti d’amicizia con Jack Dandy, capo della malavita londinese che sembra trovare lei e la sua nemesi un pò più violenta molto interessanti.
Su tutto questo si sovrappone l’intreccio investigativo, perchè ovviamente un personaggio antagonista non poteva mancare. E’ il Macchinista che, tramite automi potenziati, dietro le quinte seguirà i propri nefandi piani, senza mai scoprirsi fin quasi alla fine, e creando non pochi grattacapi ai nostri eroi i quali si troveranno invischiati in una corsa contro il tempo per salvare se stessi, la Regina Vittoria e l’intero Impero Britannico da una minaccia mortale.

http://azurestrawberry.altervista.org/?p=4766 ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |
Finley Jayne has a darker half that protects her and frightens her. As time goes on it is becoming more and more difficult for her to control and making it harder for her to keep a job. One night she is forced to run from her employers home and is hit by Griffin King a Duke who sees her as one of his own; people with abilities. He takes her in and soon learns that Finley has an interesting and unexpected connection to him. Finley joins Griff, and his friends Emily, Sam and Jasper on the hunt for The Machinist, a criminal who is managing to make machines turn against people.

I absolutely adored this book for so many reasons. Being the book geek that I am, I always love it when a book finds a way to connect with other books so I was completely amused and intrigued by the connections drawn to Jekyll and Hyde and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I loved how the two parts of Finley become integrated over the course of the book. I liked watching her become stronger and more finely tied together. However I still loved her split parts as well, particulalry how part of her was attracted to Griff and the other part was attracted to Jack Dandy. (It's the first love triangle in a long time that has annoyed me beyond belief.) I also found Jack Dandy extremely interesting. He was a criminal beyond a doubt but he was an interesting mix of commoner and smart business man. I definitely think he is someone who makes it a point to allow others to underestimate him and I really hope that he is involved in the next book even though they will be leaving England for it. I also enjoyed watching Sam come to terms with himself and the changes that Emily made to save his life. I am hoping that in the next book he will continue to grow and become a little bit smarter. While I don't expect his temper to entirely disappear, I am hoping that he continues to think about things more. My biggest complaint about the book was the lack of information on Jasper so I am very excited to see that the next book in the series is going to focus on him and that was all resolved.

I also really liked how The Machinist tied into Griff's groups' past and I was very intrigued by how he was able to get the robots to work. While for the most part the story was anything but predictable there was one point regarding what the Machinist was planning where I found myself getting frustrated. Someone as smart as Emily is supposed to be should have figured out what was going on a few pages earlier. I did find it a little bit irritating that she had to wait for Griffin to come to the lab and figure out what was going on. I wanted her, Finley and Sam to be a little bit more independent sometimes; but I'm hoping over the course of the series the characters will continue to grow and learn to stand on their own.





( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 102 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
London, 1897: The moment she saw the young man walking down the darkened hall toward her, twirling his walking stick, Finley Jayne knew she'd be unemployed before the sun rose.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373210337, Hardcover)

In 1897 London, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one…except the ‘thing’ inside her. When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a fullgrown man with one punch.... Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she’s special, says she’s one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret. Griffin’s investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help—and finally be a part of something, finally fit in. But The Machinist wants to tear Griff’s little company of strays apart, and it isn’t long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she’s on—even if it seems no one believes her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:17 -0400)

(see all 2 descriptions)

Finley, who has a beastly alter ego inside of her, joins Duke Griffin's army of misfits to help stop the Machinist, the criminal behind a series of automaton crimes, from carrying out a plan to kill Queen Victoria during the Jubilee.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
1 avail.
230 wanted
5 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.75)
0.5
1 1
1.5 1
2 17
2.5 4
3 60
3.5 15
4 72
4.5 8
5 51

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,138,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible