The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk…

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles) (edition 2011)

by Kady Cross

Member:sensitivemuse
Title:The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles)
Authors:Kady Cross
Info:Harlequin (2011), Edition: Original, Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Recently added bysreeparna, private library, naybyers, JKPL, margarita.gakis, spaceofflowers, AnnRushing, MABoone

English (92)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (94)
I really loved this one. The charachters are believable, and likable. The genre is fairly new to me but I really liked it, I didn't want to put the book down. Can't wait to see just what happens in the next book and find out what the heck the Jasper did that was worth being tracked across the ocean for and arrested. I can't help wondering where Emily will wind up in all of this. ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Mar 18, 2014 |
Such a good book! I'm very sad I don't have the next one yet ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I have had this book for a while now, but I don't really know why I never got to reading it before. However, now that I'm about to read book two of the series I thought it quite appropriate to begin with this one first.
Kady Cross is not an author I know, in fact, I think this may very well be her debut novel. Still, she managed to create a realistic enough world in a historic time, where technology isn't that uncommon.

I haven't really enjoyed steampunk novels before, but I believe it was more due to the books themselves, than having anything to do with the genre. In fact, I could say that I enjoyed "The girl in the steel corset" quite a lot. The story was original as far as I can tell, though at times I was reminded of Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices' world. The characters were a bit shallow in places, but that was sort of corrected later on..

What really made this book work for me was Emily's quick mind and her inventiveness. Sadly, she wasn't the main heroine. Finley Jayne, who was supposed to be the leading female didn't really strike me as someone insanely special. So she had a split personality- big deal. And she was insanely strong, but I didn't really care about her. The only two characters who spoke to me were Emily Nd the notorious underground criminal Jack Dandy. They seemed to have the most life in them and without their presence this nstory wouldn't turn out half as good.

On the other hand, there were also things that disappointed me a litttle. Like the foolishness of Sam, who entrusted himself in a man he didn't really know; and that the main romance never really progressed. I didn't like how naive the characters seemed at times. Especially in the end...

I liked the writing and story telling style though. It got me plunged in the story straight from the beginning.
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
(LT recommended)

The time is London in the year of Victoria's diamond jubilee in an alternate steam-punk universe, and Finley Jayne is about to lose her third position as a servant in three months. There is a dark side to her nature which has a power that she cannot control - but then she runs (literally) into Griffin King, the young Duke of Greythorne, and he too has certain talents and powers. Just maybe he can help her.

As one of the highest peers of the realm, and guardian of a secret that his parents died to protect, Griff uses his talents in defence of queen and country, with the aid of his friends. Just maybe Finley can use her talents to help them.

This is an intelligent, well written story where the action keeps coming. The characters and plot are engaging and interesting, and the scientific and historic points built into the narrative are believable.

I couldn't vouch for the period details (not being an expert myself), but they're not important - this is steam-punk. It's not a genre I've read much in, but this book makes me want to read more. I'll be looking for the next book in the series.

Recommended.

humouress | Jan 2, 2014 |
1st - Steampunk is not a genre I normally like. 2nd - I'm just about burned out on young adult novels (even if they have kick ass, smart, heroines). 3rd - I actually REALLY liked this book. I read the teaser and then this. The two don't really mesh well, other than they are stories about Finley Jayne. It took most of the novel for me to enjoy the steampunk aspect of the novel -- which sounds dumb; but it's true. The steampunk kept throwing me out of the overall experience of the book. It is interesting how Cross added elements of Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll to the book. ( )
  lesmel | Jan 1, 2014 |
London, 1897: The moment she saw the young man walking down the darkened hall toward her, twirling his walking stick, Finley Jayne knew she'd be unemployed before the sun rose.

In 1897 London, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one…except the ‘thing’ inside her. When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a fullgrown man with one punch.... Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she’s special, says she’s one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret. Griffin’s investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help—and finally be a part of something, finally fit in. But The Machinist wants to tear Griff’s little company of strays apart, and it isn’t long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she’s on—even if it seems no one believes her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:44 -0400)

Finley, who has a beastly alter ego inside of her, joins Duke Griffin's army of misfits to help stop the Machinist, the criminal behind a series of automaton crimes, from carrying out a plan to kill Queen Victoria during the Jubilee.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible