dismiss

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the…

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker (edition 2012)

by Kevin Mitnick, Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)

The world's most famous former computer hacker, now a security consultant, describes his life on the run from the FBI creating fake identities, finding jobs at a law firm and a hospital, and keeping tabs on his pursuers.
Member:paulmarculescu
Title:Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
Authors:Kevin Mitnick
Other authors:Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)
Info:Back Bay Books (2012), Paperback, 448 pages

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick

Quick, interesting read. ( )
  FooBoo732 | Jun 5, 2020 |
I looooved this book. Absolutely fascinating. I'm embarrassed to say, after years in the computer world, I'd never heard of Kevin Mitnick (no offense). I was mainly interested in the world of hacking. I got so much more. Truly fascinating story, and it even better knowing it was true.

Though this is clearly a 5-star book, I had to mentally knock it down a notch because this was just one side of the story. I had to admit, several times throughout the book I wondered if this was merely another social engineering ploy from Kevin...mixing so much truth with little misdirection. I supposed that's what made this ride even better.

Very, very good read. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
I read this shortly before I started my undergraduate Cybersecurity degree. From what I understand Kevin Mitnick is a bit of a jerk. Regardless, the book was entertaining and the wild cyber-infused goose chase Mitnick gave the FBI is super interesting to read about. I'd recommend this to anyone who finds exploiting technology, and white-collar crime interesting. ( )
  bhiggs | Apr 7, 2020 |
Interesting on a technical level, but also periodically repellent.

Among other things, the author doesn't come across as very self reflective or aware about why law enforcement and companies might get so upset about having their networks broken into and compromised. It does underscore how little true security there is, particularly with regard to unpublished security exploits and peoples susceptibility to social engineering. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
It was an interesting story, but a bit repetitive. Mitnick is a bit of an unreliable narrator who excuses many of his crimes since he did not do it for financial gain. Would make for a good case study for an ethics class. ( )
  Cora-R | Sep 3, 2019 |

Kevin Mitnickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Simon, William L.Contributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wozniak, SteveForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,693,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible