Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the…

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Kevin Mitnick, Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)

Member:JeffV
Title:Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
Authors:Kevin Mitnick
Other authors:Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2011), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****
Tags:Non-fiction, Memoir, Computer Science, Hacking

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick (2011)

Let me start off by saying that I'm surprised that Kevin doesn't need a wheelbarrow to help him walk around. He certainly has the biggest balls of anyone on this planet.

I think my rating would be different for different people. Do you know computers/coding/tech during the 80's & 90's? Then it is certainly 5 stars.
Are you comfortable with tech, but not obsessed? Then it's 4 stars.
Are you technologically illiterate? Then it's probably 3 to 3.5 stars.

It's an amazing story and worth the read. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
I thought stuff like this happened only in movies. Probably the best non-fiction thriller I have read since I stopped reading fiction a long long time ago.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
When reading the memoir of a person with a singular life story, you're generally coming for the content first, and everything else second. To that end, Kevin Mitnick delivers.

The book is a a fast-paced account of his escapades as a hacker, phreaker, and social engineer nonpareil. It's an entertaining read, and is written to be accessible to even the most non-technical of readers.

I'd read [b:The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick|18162|The Fugitive Game Online with Kevin Mitnick|Jonathan Littman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348907043s/18162.jpg|19619] a few years back, so I was familiar with the general story of Kevin Mitnick, but two things really stuck with my after finishing this book.

The first was Mitnick's talent as a social engineer. While he glosses over his technical escapades, it's clear he has technical chops as a hacker. These take a back seat to his ability to engineer others into doing the work for him. I'd love to have heard some of the conversations he'd had with his targets; I'm betting they'd be a pretty entertaining listen.

The second surprise for me was how hopelessly addicted to hacking he was. If you replaced every instance of computers with drugs, it'd be a very standard story of addiction, relapse, and recovery. While I can sympathize, even empathize, with a love of computers and burning curiosity, the pursuit of the target at the expense of all else revealed Mitnick's hobby for what it truly was.

If this book wasn't Kevin Mitnick writing about Kevin Mitnick, I probably would have given it one star. It read like a cheap crime novel, and the avoidance of any sort of responsibility for his actions really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

That being said, it's well worth a read; Kevin Mitnick really is in a league of his own.

liso | Sep 18, 2015 |
The story of Kevin Mitnick is certainly an interesting one. It charts the rise and fall of this hacker who hacks, basically, just for fun. He does not seek financial gain for his actions.

I read it because I wanted to know how he managed to hack in such secure systems. It is certainly interesting not only as it shows how brazen Mitnick was but also how these companies just were not prepared for security of this kind at the birth of the digital age. Most of this now you probably could not do now, although Mitnick does state there are certain tricks which will probably still work.

As fascinating a life as Mitnick led, the book is not written in a particularly engaging way in my opinion and sometimes reeks of self-importance and arrogance.

Definitely worth a read though. ( )
  rimbo90 | Mar 28, 2015 |

Kevin Mitnick was the most elusive computer break-in artist in history. He accessed computers and networks at the world's biggest companies--and however fast the authorities were, Mitnick was faster, sprinting through phone switches, computer systems, and cellular networks. He spent years skipping through cyberspace, always three steps ahead and labeled unstoppable. But for Kevin, hacking wasn't just about technological feats-it was an old fashioned confidence game that required guile and deception to trick the unwitting out of valuable information.

Driven by a powerful urge to accomplish the impossible, Mitnick bypassed security systems and blazed into major organizations including Motorola, Sun Microsystems, and Pacific Bell. But as the FBI's net began to tighten, Kevin went on the run, engaging in an increasingly sophisticated cat and mouse game that led through false identities, a host of cities, plenty of close shaves, and an ultimate showdown with the Feds, who would stop at nothing to bring him down.

Ghost in the Wires is a thrilling true story of intrigue, suspense, and unbelievable escape, and a portrait of a visionary whose creativity, skills, and persistence forced the authorities to rethink the way they pursued him, inspiring ripples that brought permanent changes in the way people and companies protect their most sensitive information.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:30 -0400)

The world's most famous former computer hacker, now a security consultant, describes his life on the run from the FBI creating fake identities, finding jobs at a law firm and a hospital, and keeping tabs on his pursuers.

176 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,046,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible