Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the…

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Kevin Mitnick, Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)

Member:JeffV
Title:Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
Authors:Kevin Mitnick
Other authors:Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2011), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****
Tags:Non-fiction, Memoir, Computer Science, Hacking

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick (2011)

Recently added byImperiousCaesar, lacop, dcosta77, Awfki, private library, kwbridge, Valestrum, ushatten, Speckto, peterg88

Much better than I thought. I always saw Mitnick as a kind of Robin Hood character. Of course, this isn't 100% accurate and his motives weren't 100% pure and he did a lot more damage than he admits to. On the other hand, he clearly does make an effort to be honest and as objective as possible when telling his story. A good example of this is his treatment of Tsutomu Shimomura, the guy who helped catch him. Kevin doesn't like him, but he respects his skills and generally take the high road. (Read Shimomura's book too, Shimmy isn't nearly as nice or gentle.)

Mitnick does have a lot of anger for reports and law enforcement agents who spread the FUD (disinformation) about Mitnick painting him as violent, destructive, or a threat to national security. Mitnick became the personification of general technophobe fear, and people like John Markoff (the reporter who Mitnick loathes, and rightfully so.) made a lot of money by selling Mitnick as a villain to the masses.

In the end, this was interesting from a technology sense (how phone switching works and an introduction peek into *nix network protocols) and from a personal sense. Why would he do what he did?

I'm left wondering, how do we steer future Mitnicks in more positive directions? CLEARLY, people shouldn't be allowed to run wild in the phone system. Just as clearly, putting him in jail isn't the best answer. I want kids to read this and hopefully turn to ethical hacking. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
A little self-important. ( )
  briealeida | Feb 6, 2014 |
A repetitive book on a hacker with no deeper motivation. Never really captures your interest. ( )
  kotikirjasto | Aug 5, 2013 |
The main impression I got from this book is that Mitnick seems to have no remorse for his violations of the privacy and trust of others, which made me think of him as a bit of a sociopath.

Complaints about morality aside I found this book to be very engaging and well written. The descriptions of exploits and social engineering techniques used to access private data systems were both fascinating and disturbing for their simplicity. ( )
  richhaase | Jun 1, 2013 |
Finally finished this. He is not an author and it shows. He's also an egomaniac. It was interesting but I'm glad it's over. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |

Kevin Mitnick was the most elusive computer break-in artist in history. He accessed computers and networks at the world's biggest companies--and however fast the authorities were, Mitnick was faster, sprinting through phone switches, computer systems, and cellular networks. He spent years skipping through cyberspace, always three steps ahead and labeled unstoppable. But for Kevin, hacking wasn't just about technological feats-it was an old fashioned confidence game that required guile and deception to trick the unwitting out of valuable information.

Driven by a powerful urge to accomplish the impossible, Mitnick bypassed security systems and blazed into major organizations including Motorola, Sun Microsystems, and Pacific Bell. But as the FBI's net began to tighten, Kevin went on the run, engaging in an increasingly sophisticated cat and mouse game that led through false identities, a host of cities, plenty of close shaves, and an ultimate showdown with the Feds, who would stop at nothing to bring him down.

Ghost in the Wires is a thrilling true story of intrigue, suspense, and unbelievable escape, and a portrait of a visionary whose creativity, skills, and persistence forced the authorities to rethink the way they pursued him, inspiring ripples that brought permanent changes in the way people and companies protect their most sensitive information.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:29 -0400)

The world's most famous former computer hacker, now a security consultant, describes his life on the run from the FBI creating fake identities, finding jobs at a law firm and a hospital, and keeping tabs on his pursuers.

209 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible