Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the…

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Kevin Mitnick, Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)

Member:JeffV
Title:Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
Authors:Kevin Mitnick
Other authors:Steve Wozniak (Foreword), William L. Simon (Contributor)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2011), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****
Tags:Non-fiction, Memoir, Computer Science, Hacking

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick (2011)

Recently added byprivate library, kwbridge, Valestrum, ushatten, Speckto, peterg88, psmithkent, SHCOgden, aujames95

A little self-important. ( )
  briealeida | Feb 6, 2014 |
A repetitive book on a hacker with no deeper motivation. Never really captures your interest. ( )
  kotikirjasto | Aug 5, 2013 |
The main impression I got from this book is that Mitnick seems to have no remorse for his violations of the privacy and trust of others, which made me think of him as a bit of a sociopath.

Complaints about morality aside I found this book to be very engaging and well written. The descriptions of exploits and social engineering techniques used to access private data systems were both fascinating and disturbing for their simplicity. ( )
  richhaase | Jun 1, 2013 |
Finally finished this. He is not an author and it shows. He's also an egomaniac. It was interesting but I'm glad it's over. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
Fun read, fast, and interesting as can be. The self-aggrandizing is over the top, and the guy so totally misses the mark on who is to blame (um, *you*, Kevin Mitnick) for the activities that it almost becomes funny (pathetic but funny) as this guy justifies his way through his activities.

This would have been a 5-star book for me if there hadn't been so much of the "blame others" and if the guy had actually learned something. Lacking that, I dinged 2 stars, but the book itself is a great read! Especially for anyone in IT or computer programming. Since I was almost contemporary to Kevin, and in software development at the time he was hacking, it was fun to read and reminisce about some of the ways we use to "secure" networks. For me, the read was full of "oh yeahs, I remember that..." and if you're of the same era I think you'll like this book. ( )
  marshapetry | Feb 16, 2013 |

Kevin Mitnick was the most elusive computer break-in artist in history. He accessed computers and networks at the world's biggest companies--and however fast the authorities were, Mitnick was faster, sprinting through phone switches, computer systems, and cellular networks. He spent years skipping through cyberspace, always three steps ahead and labeled unstoppable. But for Kevin, hacking wasn't just about technological feats-it was an old fashioned confidence game that required guile and deception to trick the unwitting out of valuable information.

Driven by a powerful urge to accomplish the impossible, Mitnick bypassed security systems and blazed into major organizations including Motorola, Sun Microsystems, and Pacific Bell. But as the FBI's net began to tighten, Kevin went on the run, engaging in an increasingly sophisticated cat and mouse game that led through false identities, a host of cities, plenty of close shaves, and an ultimate showdown with the Feds, who would stop at nothing to bring him down.

Ghost in the Wires is a thrilling true story of intrigue, suspense, and unbelievable escape, and a portrait of a visionary whose creativity, skills, and persistence forced the authorities to rethink the way they pursued him, inspiring ripples that brought permanent changes in the way people and companies protect their most sensitive information.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:29 -0400)

The world's most famous former computer hacker, now a security consultant, describes his life on the run from the FBI creating fake identities, finding jobs at a law firm and a hospital, and keeping tabs on his pursuers.

209 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible