The Other Side Of Dawn by John Marsden

The Other Side Of Dawn (original 1999; edition 2007)

by John Marsden

Member:brigneti
Title:The Other Side Of Dawn
Authors:John Marsden
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2007), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:war, young adult, australia, australian, alternate future, series, survival, Tomorrow

The Other Side of Dawn by John Marsden (1999)

339 pages Fiction. This is a great book. Its is worth conclusion to a series I am sorry to see end. Its no surprise that the war ends in this book. Its the journey and how its told that makes the book worth reading. The book wraps up loose ends in a more than satisfying fashion. See how the war and the peace changed all that were involved.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |

Despite some initial reservations, I've grown to love this series. This finale offers the same brilliant action and heartwarming personal stories as the other novels.

The seperation from the ferals was absolutely heartwrenching, and the group went out with a bang in their final contribution to the war.
However, I was completely disappointed by the ending.

I can see where Marsden was coming from- this was the end of a violent war, and a 'they lived happily ever after' would have been a bit unrealistic. But I think he represented Ellie as too fickle in the end. A girl that suddenly falls out of love with one friend (AGAIN!) and begins to have feelings for another (AGAIN!) (I really thought she was over that drama), and a girl that breaks a promise to a little girl... it just does not feel like the Ellie I admired throughout the series. And beyond that, the cruel splitting up of the group... I understand that their relationships would have a little tension now, but after everything they went through, it just seems bizzare.
And I suppose that somewhat naively, after how independent the group acted for so long, I did not envision them becoming obedient teenagers that follow the decisions of their parents (ie. Fi's move to the city). They just seemed too grown-up for that.

Anyway, this novel is as brilliant as its predecessors, and although I personally hate the ending, if I view it from a distance, I can understand and respect that Marsden's ending stays true to the cold, hard, reality. I think I just got too emotionally involved in the series.

PS. I totally knew that the rest of the group was alive! I was in complete denial when Ellie thought they were dead..it would have been too cruel.
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

And then it is all over. The final episode of the Tomorrow-series by John Marsden. I've enjoyed reading them, it was an interesting story. I did like the first three books best, they seemed to be the most realistic, and this last book had a few points where I believe they were more lucky than possible. Just a bit too many coincidences and a feeling Marsden really wanted a happy end at the end of the series. Still loved it.
I would recommend this series to everyone, because I really liked it and wish there were more books than the seven I've read! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
The conclusion of this series broke me the first time and it did it again. Such a good ending though.

Although...it did seem like it dragged a little. I got a bit cross with Ellie because she was just being so...meh. I know it's her story, but I've always thought it might be nice to hear from the others at some point, their thoughts. Even if just for a couple of paragraphs.

I know there's another series, The Ellie Chronicles after this. I still haven't been able to bring myself to read them because I've heard such mixed reviews. I don't really want to ruin what was. We shall see. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
This final novel in the Tomorrow series was worth the wait. John Marsden has told an amazing and believable story of what war in a developed and unsuspecting country might be like for Ellie and her friends. I loved the entire series. Thank you John Marsden! ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
To the people of Tibet, East Timor, and West Papua (Irian Jaya)
The noise of a helicopter at night fills the whole world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439858054, Paperback)

At last, the final episode of the gripping Tomorrow series by wildly popular Aussie author John Marsden has crossed the Pacific, and this concluding chapter in the lives of Ellie, Fi, Homer, Kevin, and Lee may be the most exciting one yet. Informed by Colonel Finley that the military is making a move that could be compared to the D-day attack of WWII, the outback teen guerillas know that the end of the bewildering war that changed their lives is drawing near. Armed with plastic explosives and grenades, courtesy of the New Zealand Army, they have been instructed to "spread chaos and confusion behind their (enemy) lines in every way, shape and form." For Ellie and company, this means targeting a hostile refueling station and train tracks. Of course, nothing is ever easy. There are still the feral kids to worry about and the dismal discovery that soldiers have infiltrated Hell, their only secured hiding place in the bush. As The Other Side of Dawn rockets at breakneck speed towards its stunning climax, only one thing is certain: there is no guarantee that any of them will make it through this last conflict alive.

Not a book for new recruits, The Other Side of Dawn will be most enjoyed by those hard-core fans who have been with Ellie and the gang from the beginning. Wirrawee buffs will be rewarded with classic Marsden: teeth-jarring action sequences interspersed with meaningful moments between friends who may not see the sunrise again together. This is a satisfying ending to a smashing good series. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:00 -0400)

Ellie and her friends, five Australian teenagers who survived the enemy invasion of their country, use guerrilla tactics to support a major counterattack by New Zealand troops.

92 wanted3 pay12 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,940,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible