Heart Stealer by Tiphanie Thomas

Heart Stealer

by Tiphanie Thomas

ebook (1) K (1) romance (1) Summerdale (1) to-read (1) untagged (1)

A great romance book. I found the characters likable and wanted to see them end up together and happy. The book was romantic and cute without being cheesy. ( )
1 vote aeisen | Jun 8, 2011 |
This was a fantastic book! The characters are so real they touch your heart ! You want them to find themselves enough to be together. After Kayla gets a rough start with her life she deserves all the hapiness in the world. The author did an awesome job of relating to the characters and making you believe anything is possible! ( )
1 vote emeraldpools | May 15, 2011 |
Kayla's teen years were difficult. After losing her mom in a car accident, her dad pulled away from her, leaving her in the custody of an aunt whose boyfriend made inappropriate advances. Kayla ran away from home, finding herself broke and hungry in the small town of Summerdale. Fortunately, a handsome young man named Russell came to her rescue and took her home to his parents' house. Kayla finds a home with the Rowes, and the story picks up 8 years later... Russell is a wealthy Hollywood actor, and Kayla is a schoolteacher and decorator in Summerdale. The two old friends find themselves falling for each other when Russell hires Kayla to decorate his new mansion in his hometown.

The author has done a wonderful job of creating a well-developed cast of characters and a likely romance. Kayla and Russell encounter one problem after another as they attempt to fit into each other's lives, creating a suspenseful plot. Russell's parents (Doreen and Joe) are wonderful characters as well who only add to the story's depth.

However, there are some problems with the writing. The dialogue can sometimes be awkward and at other times is just ridiculous. It's hard to imagine characters saying some of these things. The love scenes rely on old, tired expressions and lack originality. The author's personal feelings are interspersed throughout the book in phrases that are out of place in the context. (For example, in one passage Kayla wonders when the violence will end and decides it probably won't until drugs are legalized.) These errors really should have been corrected during editing. The author shows great promise and knows how to create a well-written story, but I think she should find a new editor and work on the dialogue for her next book. I'd rate it 3.5 stars. ( )
  halo776 | May 14, 2011 |
When I was about a fourth of the way into the book, I knew I was going to be pleasantly surprised and I was. I LOVED this book.

The author wrote such great complex and real characters that I felt what they did as I read along. Kayla was a totally normal person, with no severe issues or over-dramatics which you see a lot in books. And Randall was probably kind of mellow for a movie star, but with the way he was raised it was understandable.

I simply adored this book, and the story that unfolded over time.

After years of disapproval for his fast lifestyle, movie star Randall Rowe returns home to Summerdale to rebuild his life and asks Kayla Denton, the runaway he'd once helped, to decorate his new home. Kayla reluctantly accepts and soon finds herself struggling to keep her guard up with the handsome charmer, as Randall makes it clear he wants more than a platonic relationship. But Kayla has already been abandoned by one man in her life. Can opposites attracting ever work? Can she ever trust the connection they share when faced with Hollywood? Will they be able to face who they are and change for the relationship, or will the past kill their chance for an once-in-a-lifetime love?

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tiphanie Thomas's book Heart Stealer was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Tiphanie Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,399,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible