Lie by Caroline Bock

Lie (2011)

by Caroline Bock

Give a Boy a Gun by Todd Strasser (faither)
    faither: similar style and equally moving.

50 pages in and I hate every character. Obviously from the premise I didn't expect good people but everyone is so flat and dull. i just couldn't finish it.
  suziannabean | Apr 2, 2013 |
A little slow moving and hard to follow because of the changing voices but it has a good but scary message. ( )
  WarriorLibrary | Aug 22, 2012 |
From Amazon...Seventeen-year-old Skylar Thompson is being questioned by the police. Her boyfriend, Jimmy, stands accused of brutally assaulting two young El Salvadoran immigrants from a neighboring town, and she’s the prime witness. Skylar is keeping quiet about what she’s seen, but how long can she keep it up?

But Jimmy was her savior. . . .

When her mother died, he was the only person who made her feel safe, protected from the world. But when she begins to appreciate the enormity of what has happened, especially when Carlos Cortez, one of the victims, steps up to demand justice, she starts to have second thoughts about protecting Jimmy. Jimmy’s accomplice, Sean, is facing his own moral quandary. He’s out on bail and has been offered a plea in exchange for testifying against Jimmy.

The truth must be told. . . .

Sean must decide whether or not to turn on his friend in order to save himself. But most important, both he and Skylar need to figure out why they would follow someone like Jimmy in the first place. ( )
  libraryjaydee | Jan 6, 2012 |
I've seen kids like Jimmy come to the library. Persuasive, street-smart, trouble-makers always with a group of other kids hanging onto their every word. But what if the leader of your high school group commits a horrible hate crime? Would you do the right thing and tell what you know or try to protect him and the life you've created? LIE (which takes place on Long Island and refers to both the Long Island Expressway and the lie that tears the teens apart) is told mostly from the viewpoints of Jimmy's girl Skylar - damaged and fragile from the recent death of her mother and Jimmy's best friend Sean, who is also Skylar's neighbor and friend. Other narrative voices include Lisa-Marie - Sklyar's best friend, who has her own secrets; Sklyar's dad - a hard-working EMT; the victims' mother, Gloria Cortez and her son - the victim Carlos Cortez. The missing voice is Jimmy's, but the strength of the novel is that his voice comes across loud and clear through his actions and the way others see him. It is a disturbing novel because you can see it happening and yet, can't understand the senseless violence we can inflict upon each other. ( )
  SharonLong | Nov 30, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Im not really sure what to make of this tale of twisted hate and a thousand perspectives, I can say it took a long time to get through, I lost interest and had a hard time connecting to any of the characters. Id say about 100 pages in the book held my attention for a bit, but the various POVs drove me crazy and honestly made the book fall flat from the message it was trying to convey. Instead of character depth and connection, I mostly saw plot driven gimmicks. The biggest issue was the question of WHY? It didnt make any sense to me why not one character in this group stood up for what was right and went along with the "hate-crime".I guess for me I just didnt understand their reason or motives.Needless to say I thought this was choppy and all over the place. Sorry, but not for me. ( )
  Tinasbookreviews | Nov 16, 2011 |
"The attacks were such an established pastime that the youths, who have pleaded not guilty, had a casual and derogatory term for it, "beaner hopping" -- New York Times, front page story after the murder of a Hispanic immigrant on Long Island, November 2008
To Richard
I should be in calculus, reviewing for the final, not at the police station -- Skylar Thompson
A lie can take you anywhere but never back.

What happens when we
think it's someone else's job
to tell the simple truth.
(Caroline Bock, author)

Everybody knows, nobody’s talking. . . .

But Jimmy was her savior. . . .

When her mother died, he was the only person who made her feel safe, protected from the world. But when she begins to appreciate the enormity of what has happened, especially when Carlos Cortez, one of the victims, steps up to demand justice, she starts to have second thoughts about protecting Jimmy. Jimmy’s accomplice, Sean, is facing his own moral quandary. He’s out on bail and has been offered a plea in exchange for testifying against Jimmy.

The truth must be told. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:35 -0400)

Told in several voices, a group of Long Island high school seniors conspire to protect eighteen-year-old Jimmy after he brutally assaults two Salvadoran immigrants, until they begin to see the moral implications of Jimmy's actions and the consequences of being loyal to a violent bully.… (more)

Caroline Bock is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lie by Caroline Bock was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible