The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A…

The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris

by John Baxter

205857,211 (3.51)11
Recently added bybridgitshearth, uvula_fr_b4, private library, 1Randal, betscw

I enjoyed this personal view of Paris and Parisians written by an expatriate Australian. He writes very well, always holding your interest. It is like an entertaining conversation rather than a substantial written work. ( )
1 vote denmoir | Sep 24, 2012 |
I'm a sucker for books about Paris, and I had read Baxter's first book about life in that city, so when I saw this volume on special for 99-cents from iBooks, I grabbed it. This is a quick and pleasant read. It is a good template for walks for anyone visiting Paris (although, somehow, I think I'd avoid the author's walking tour business as being outrageously expensive). He gives insights that only someone who lives in the city can give & that's what makes this book so much fun. ( )
  etxgardener | Aug 27, 2012 |
An enjoyable ramble through literary Paris, The title is a little misleading as it is part memoir, part history and wanders around somewhat. The Most Beautiful Walk... is not actually mapped out or shown, but is more of a personal reflection of the streets and alleyways of Paris. A nice distraction that can be put down and picked up quite easily without losing any thread. ( )
  PIER50 | Jun 28, 2012 |
This is a case of how one is captured by a book; for me, it was the title and the cover more so than the actual content. Allow me to explain. First, the title….who WOULDN’T want to experience that and when you find out it’s set in Paris, it’s almost a guarantee. They are known as the city of lights for a reason and their beautiful architecture speaks for itself. Second, let’s look at that cover. Every time I look at it I get lost in the waterways of the top image or imagine myself strolling down the lamp lit street below. The subtle use of color in both give them a warm glow, inviting the reader to take that first step on the pathway to greater things.

Beyond the beautiful cover and promise of a remarkable time though, the story within isn’t entirely disappointing…it’s just not quite what my imagination thought it might be. You see I was prepared for a sweeping narrative with bookishness to spare and while there were literary references along with the discovery that others (as in visitors to the city) could appreciate them as well, there was a lot more real life that seeped in between the lines.

In all my reading excitement, I think it slipped my mind that this was in fact a MEMOIR, a travel one nonetheless. I’m not opposed to the genre, as I’ve read and shared my experience with them before, but unfortunately this one didn’t quite meet my expectations. Will it meet yours? Hard to say…but if you do decide that French is the language of reading love for you, grab your beret, a glass of wine and settle down for a journey through life from a residents point of view. ( )
1 vote GRgenius | Dec 8, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061998540, Paperback)

In this enchanting memoir, acclaimed author and long- time Paris resident John Baxter remembers his yearlong experience of giving "literary walking tours" through the city. Baxter sets off with unsuspecting tourists in tow on the trail of Paris's legendary artists and writers of the past. Along the way, he tells the history of Paris through a brilliant cast of characters: the favorite cafés of Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and James Joyce; Pablo Picasso's underground Montmartre haunts; the bustling boulevards of the late-nineteenth-century flâneurs; the secluded "Little Luxembourg" gardens beloved by Gertrude Stein; the alleys where revolutionaries plotted; and finally Baxter's own favorite walk near his home in Saint-Germain-des-Prés.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:55 -0400)

Thrust into the unlikely role of professional "literary walking tour" guide, an expat writer provides the most irresistibly witty and revealing tour of Paris in years. In this enchanting memoir, acclaimed author and long- time Paris resident John Baxter remembers his yearlong experience of giving "literary walking tours" through the city. Baxter sets off with unsuspecting tourists in tow on the trail of Paris's legendary artists and writers of the past. Along the way, he tells the history of Paris through a brilliant cast of characters: the favorite cafes of Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and James Joyce; Pablo Picasso's underground Montmartre haunts; the bustling boulevards of the late-nineteenth-century "flaneurs"; the secluded "Little Luxembourg" gardens beloved by Gertrude Stein; the alleys where revolutionaries plotted; and finally Baxter's own favorite walk near his home in Saint-Germain-des-Pres. Paris, by custom and design, is a pedestrian's city--each block a revelation, every neighborhood a new feast for the senses, a place rich with history and romance at every turn. "The Most Beautiful Walk in the World" is your guide, par excellence, to the true, off-the-beaten-path heart of the City of Lights.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,468,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible