Hammered by Kevin Hearne

Hammered

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (3)

576None17,152 (3.95)47
2011 (6) 2013 (6) adult (7) Arizona (7) audiobook (10) Celtic (9) druid (9) druids (23) ebook (15) fantasy (81) fiction (33) gods (10) humor (10) Iron Druid (11) Iron Druid Chronicles (12) Kindle (8) magic (17) mythology (18) Norse mythology (7) novel (6) paperback (7) paranormal (19) read (7) read in 2011 (10) read in 2012 (7) series (12) to-read (7) urban fantasy (76) vampires (22) werewolves (14)

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

After all the help he got dealing with the bad guys in Hounded and Hexed, Atticus owes favors, so he sets out to get those paid off in Hammered. The theme is Norse mythology — first Atticus has to steal one of Iðunn’s golden apples from Asgard, then he must help Leif, his vampire lawyer, kill Thor. Leif must have been planning for this for a long time because he’s bringing along a bunch of other guys who want Thor dead, too.

Hammered feels much different from Hounded and Hexed. Instead of the modern Tempe, Arizona setting, most of the action in Hammered takes place in, or traveling to and from, Asgard. Oberon, who provides the comic relief, is left at home, and so is Granuaile, the wide-eyed perky apprentice. Thus, Hammered is quite a bit darker than the previous novels. The action is forestalled for a while when the characters stop to tell stories about why they want to kill Thor. This works well with Leif, who we have grown to care for, but perhaps not so well (at least for me) with the other guys, who I didn’t feel like I knew well enough to care about. It does, however, serve to explain why Thor must die.

Hammered was certainly entertaining, but I didn’t enjoy this installment as much as I enjoyed Hounded and Hexed, mostly because it focuses less on some of the elements that have made the Iron Druid Chronicles so successful thus far — the bookshop in Tempe, Atticus’s neighbors and, most of all, the faithful and funny Oberon. It doesn’t help that I’m a bit weary of Norse mythology, having read quite a bit of it already this year.

I perked up at the end of Hammered when something dreadful happens and is left as a cliffhanger. I will definitely be eager to learn the resolution to this in the next novel, Tricked, and I’ll definitely be reading it on audio because Luke Daniels, the narrator, is awesome. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I gave up 85% of the way through because I was so utterly fed up. The logical heir to Butcher and Dresden, my butt. Only if it had been butchered. I'd have to be completely hammered to finish this. I'm not even sure if by alcohol or by the actual weapon, either.

I... I don't understand how this book can be so utterly, unapologetically awful. I mean, Atticus is the epitome of a Gary Stu, but the pacing and plotting of this book was just.. just.. I'm speechless at the awfulness of this book. ( )

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
According to popular imagination, squirrels are supposed to be adorable.

Thor, the Norse god of thunder, is worse than a blowhard and a bully—he’s ruined countless lives and killed scores of innocents. After centuries, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson is ready to get his vengeance, and he’s asked his friend Atticus O’Sullivan, the last of the Druids, to help take down this Norse nightmare.

One survival strategy has worked for Atticus for more than two thousand years: stay away from the guy with the lightning bolts. But things are heating up in Atticus’s home base of Tempe, Arizona. There’s a vampire turf war brewing, and Russian demon hunters who call themselves the Hammers of God are running rampant. Despite multiple warnings and portents of dire consequences, Atticus and Leif journey to the Norse plain of Asgard, where they team up with a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants for an epic showdown against vicious Valkyries, angry gods, and the hammer-wielding Thunder Thug himself

Hammered" is the third title in an original series about Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids. In this final outing, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson asks Atticus to help take down Thor, the Norse god of thunder. Original.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible