Hammered by Kevin Hearne

Hammered

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (3)

2013 (6) adult (7) Arizona (7) audiobook (13) Celtic (8) druid (10) druids (24) ebook (15) fantasy (87) fiction (35) gods (11) humor (10) Iron Druid (11) Iron Druid Chronicles (13) Kindle (11) magic (18) mythology (19) Norse mythology (7) novel (6) paperback (7) paranormal (20) read (7) read in 2011 (10) read in 2012 (7) series (15) Thor (6) to-read (11) urban fantasy (78) vampires (24) werewolves (16)

This book has Atticus finally going after Thor with a group of supernatural beings that all have an ax to grind with the hammer wielding bully. Atticus is warned several times not to do it that dire things will happen but a promise is a promise. He also plans to move since everyone now knows where he lives and works. The ending leaves you wanting the next book to find out what happens in the last few pages and that is all I will say about that.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
HAMMERED was another excellent addition to the Iron Druid Chronicles. In this episode, Atticus needs to keep his promise to Leif and get him to Asgard where he can finally take his revenge on Thor. Now, Atticus has gotten all sorts of good advice from both Jesus and the Morrigan who tell him that this is a major bad idea. But Atticus has given his word.

Along with Leif and the werewolf alpha Gunnar are three other supernatural beings who also have a need for revenge against Thor. They include an Asian named Zhang Guo Lao, a Finnish semi-forgotten god named Vainamoinen, and a Russian thunder god named Perun. In a somewhat Canterbury Tales mode, we hear each of their stories about their reasons for wanting Thor dead.

I am always amazed and informed about various world mythologies when I read this series. The juxtaposition of characters out of legend with current culture makes these stories amazing. This is probably the first time I have ever gotten an ear worm from reading though. Atticus walks in on two frost giants making love and quickly needs something to erase the image from his mind. He chooses to focus on It's a Small World After All which he says is one of the most annoying songs ever. I agree!

This is also a story that begins lots of changes for Atticus. He will have to run and hide to avoid the ire of the rest of the gods. He spends time saying goodbye to his life in Tempe. He is leaving with not much more than his apprentice and his dog. His leave-taking brings up one of the downsides of a really, really long life. People you love don't live forever and every loss brings pain.

This is an excellent series for fans of urban fantasy. It just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to read more. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 29, 2014 |
Druid Atticus O’Sullivan is reluctantly convinced by his friend, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson, to help him and a few other immortals get to Asgard so that they can kill the Norse god of thunder, Thor. These books are all very similar in style and voice, but are a lot of fun. I wouldn't go to them for gravitas and emotional investment, but for a whirlwind trip through the world's mythologies, it's a great ride. And Oberon is always worth his share of the sausages and bacon! ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 15, 2014 |
Lots of funny parts to this book; I chortled through the Spock/Kirk dialog. and I got just as big a chuckle out of the Neal Fucking Gaiman conversation. . But the action gets serious and nobody mentioned that the book ends mid-action. And I don't have the next one lined up! Maybe it's time to switch to Kindle versions... ( )
  ronincats | May 21, 2014 |
I gave up 85% of the way through because I was so utterly fed up. The logical heir to Butcher and Dresden, my butt. Only if it had been butchered. I'd have to be completely hammered to finish this. I'm not even sure if by alcohol or by the actual weapon, either.

I... I don't understand how this book can be so utterly, unapologetically awful. I mean, Atticus is the epitome of a Gary Stu, but the pacing and plotting of this book was just.. just.. I'm speechless at the awfulness of this book. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
According to popular imagination, squirrels are supposed to be adorable.

Thor, the Norse god of thunder, is worse than a blowhard and a bully—he’s ruined countless lives and killed scores of innocents. After centuries, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson is ready to get his vengeance, and he’s asked his friend Atticus O’Sullivan, the last of the Druids, to help take down this Norse nightmare.

One survival strategy has worked for Atticus for more than two thousand years: stay away from the guy with the lightning bolts. But things are heating up in Atticus’s home base of Tempe, Arizona. There’s a vampire turf war brewing, and Russian demon hunters who call themselves the Hammers of God are running rampant. Despite multiple warnings and portents of dire consequences, Atticus and Leif journey to the Norse plain of Asgard, where they team up with a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants for an epic showdown against vicious Valkyries, angry gods, and the hammer-wielding Thunder Thug himself

Hammered" is the third title in an original series about Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids. In this final outing, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson asks Atticus to help take down Thor, the Norse god of thunder. Original.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible