Hammered by Kevin Hearne

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (3)

Recently added bysamjudd, evlon, private library, Chazmagic1, kara-karina, gnoddep, ClaraCoulson

Bloody, bloody hell! A total annihilation, a massacre in the end. This is one of the best showdowns I've ever read in UF. This was how I felt...
*insert Holy Grail - Killer Bunny*

Undoubtedly the best book in series so far.

Atticus is absolutely marvellous in his particular ruthless Celtic practicality. Bound by his debt to Leif, he agrees to take him and a team of other supernaturals/gods mortally offended by Thor to Asgard to kill Thunder God.

Aticus being Atticus ties all the loose ends, arranges for everyone to be taken care of or to have an escape route in case of his death (and there is a strong possibility of his demise) and does his way of team bonding where each supernatural tells their story explaining why they want to kill Thor.

The stories are absolutely wonderful and give you a pretty good idea why Thor deserves to die. This is the first time I see him portrayed negatively in a book, and I really liked that.

Also, Perun, Slavic god of Thunder was totally awesome with his pigeon English, homemade vodka and generous Russian soul. I loved him!

The playful tone of the book in the beginning when Atticus journeys to Asgard for the first time to steal the apples of immortality very soon gives way to much darker and grimmer mood. The tension rises with each page and every story, and the last battle sequences are amazing.

This is what Kevin Hearne's talents are - you feel like you're right in the thick of it, pumped up on adrenaline, jittery and exhausted in the end. I have NO CLUE as to what happens next, but whatever it is it will be cardinally different from the first three books.

Well done, Kevin Hearne, very well done! Recommended for all fans of UF. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I really didn't like this one that much. It had very little Oberon. Some people die toward the end. It left you hanging a little bit. At this point, I'm not impressed with the series. A lot of things I liked about the series changed with this book. ( )
  msphotogirl | Oct 19, 2015 |
I gave up 85% of the way through because I was so utterly fed up. The logical heir to Butcher and Dresden, my butt. Only if it had been butchered. I'd have to be completely hammered to finish this. I'm not even sure if by alcohol or by the actual weapon, either.

I... I don't understand how this book can be so utterly, unapologetically awful. I mean, Atticus is the epitome of a Gary Stu, but the pacing and plotting of this book was just.. just.. I'm speechless at the awfulness of this book. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
This is not my favorite of this series which is probably because we don't get to see as much of Oberon the Irish wolfhound and his delightful insights into the canine condition. Who else would think that Starbucks serves bacon lattes (It's on the secret menu.) and that they have a secret R & D facility on the outskirts of Seattle where “Out of the steam and the foam and the froth, a man in white with poor eyesight will craft a liquid paradox, and it shall be called the Triple Nonfat Double Bacon Five-Cheese Mocha!”? ( )
  Unkletom | Aug 28, 2015 |
I'm afraid I'm starting to get worn out on this series already. I just wasn't interested in the plot of this one, ie Go Kill Thor! Without my favorite secondary characters or a mystery, I just had no real reason to keep listening other than wanting to finish. I was planning on breaking up with this series after this one, but that epilogue has dragged me back in! I must know what is going on! And I'm hopeful that the next book will feature more Oberon >.>. The narration is still excellent and makes the book a lot of fun. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
According to popular imagination, squirrels are supposed to be adorable.

Thor, the Norse god of thunder, is worse than a blowhard and a bully—he’s ruined countless lives and killed scores of innocents. After centuries, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson is ready to get his vengeance, and he’s asked his friend Atticus O’Sullivan, the last of the Druids, to help take down this Norse nightmare.

One survival strategy has worked for Atticus for more than two thousand years: stay away from the guy with the lightning bolts. But things are heating up in Atticus’s home base of Tempe, Arizona. There’s a vampire turf war brewing, and Russian demon hunters who call themselves the Hammers of God are running rampant. Despite multiple warnings and portents of dire consequences, Atticus and Leif journey to the Norse plain of Asgard, where they team up with a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants for an epic showdown against vicious Valkyries, angry gods, and the hammer-wielding Thunder Thug himself

Hammered" is the third title in an original series about Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids. In this final outing, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson asks Atticus to help take down Thor, the Norse god of thunder. Original.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

24 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,868,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible