Hammered by Kevin Hearne

Hammered

by Kevin Hearne (Author)

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (3)

I went back and forth over my rating on this one, but I finally had to admit that it was a really good book, even if it had a couple of teeny-tiny slow spots. This wasn't done without a reason. I really enjoy this series and already adore the characters. Now everything is about to change. I can understand it. Honestly, I can! Just let me get over my mad and I'll be A-OK!

If the series is going to last (which this one obviously has - YAY! - *happy dance*) the foundation has to be right. If things have to be refreshed a bit, or reframed, so be it. The writing style is comfortable and the humor is so much fun that I can't help but keep going. Pfft...come on...Atticus is a fantastic character! Okay, see? I'm almost over my mad already!

This is the book where Atticus travels with Leif and Gunner to have the big showdown with Thor. We are introduced to several interesting new characters, along with their history and personal beef with the thunder god. I particularly liked Master Zhang Guo Lao and Perun. Perhaps we will see more of them in future books. I did miss having all of the regulars along on the trip, but we'll have to see where the author takes us next. Based on this ending, it's bound to be a pretty intense journey! Quite a few surprises in this one. It's the sign of a talented author when he can connect the readers to his characters after only three books!

Okay...getting my mad on again over Gunner and Leif. Yeah, they sorta asked for it and probably would've been pleased to go out swinging and all, but just let me have my moment. And what happened to Widow MacDonagh?!?

Power thru those slow spots. It's worth it and they aren't THAT bad, trust me (I tend to be an adrenaline junkie when it comes to my reading material). Think of it as world building...because that's probably what it is. I mean, no ESP here, but it makes perfect sense to me. Anyway, once the story takes off, you won't want to put it down. I feel like I've been on a wild adventure and stopped to ride a few emotional rollercoasters along the way! Nicely done! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
First listen of the audiobook, second "read" of the book.

My husband and I are listening to this series together and I enjoyed hearing this one on audio for the first time. The narration was fantastic and Luke Daniels executes a wide range of character voices with fluid ease. The plot slows quite a bit in the middle, but once the action picks back up, it held my attention well. The battle scenes with Thor were exceptionally well done and kept us up late listening to the outcome. Nicely done!

Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
the only thing I don't like about this series it that I have to wait for the next to come out in audio...hurry audible! great narration ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |
Definitely feels like there will be another book, hopefully there is! I enjoyed the series but this one felt a little weak. Not as much action as I would have thought and a little reliance on the added characters story for a chapter each....hmmm. Okay. Did find out more about Leif and Gunnar, but Gunnar's now dead. Leif I imagine will resurrect, but won't know until there's another book and Atticus hears from Tempe. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
The only problem with this 3rd book in the series is that now that I'm done, I have to wait for #4 to be published. I think I might have to go to Kevin Hearne's house, camp out there for a few weeks, and ask repeatedly, "Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?" until he completes it. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |

Hearne, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
According to popular imagination, squirrels are supposed to be adorable.

Thor, the Norse god of thunder, is worse than a blowhard and a bully—he’s ruined countless lives and killed scores of innocents. After centuries, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson is ready to get his vengeance, and he’s asked his friend Atticus O’Sullivan, the last of the Druids, to help take down this Norse nightmare.

One survival strategy has worked for Atticus for more than two thousand years: stay away from the guy with the lightning bolts. But things are heating up in Atticus’s home base of Tempe, Arizona. There’s a vampire turf war brewing, and Russian demon hunters who call themselves the Hammers of God are running rampant. Despite multiple warnings and portents of dire consequences, Atticus and Leif journey to the Norse plain of Asgard, where they team up with a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants for an epic showdown against vicious Valkyries, angry gods, and the hammer-wielding Thunder Thug himself

Hammered" is the third title in an original series about Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids. In this final outing, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson asks Atticus to help take down Thor, the Norse god of thunder. Original.

100 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible