The EveryGirl's Guide to Life by Maria…

The EveryGirl's Guide to Life (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Maria Menounos

Member:Auj
Title:The EveryGirl's Guide to Life
Authors:Maria Menounos
Info:It Books (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:January 2013 on my Kindle

The EveryGirl's Guide to Life by Maria Menounos (2011)

Self-help books seem to be a dime a dozen these days and the 'guide to life' ones often promise more than they deliver. I usually pass. So why am I reading and reviewing this book? Well, I have a family member that is headed off to college out-of-state and while she may think she knows it all she's about to have a rude awakening on exactly what she doesn't know. And while advice from an older (read ancient) adult often gets brushed off, that same advice coming from a savvy older sister or cousin is appreciated and heeded. Maria Menounos is that sister and this book is that advice neatly packaged. In the interest of full disclosure I had not heard of Menounos before reading this book - she is a broadcast journalist/entertainer and frankly I'd rather read than watch TV. But I was attracted to this book by its cute cover (I never said I couldn't be shallow) and I read the book before giving it to the intended recipient.

I was impressed.

This is not some celebutante tell-all but a nicely written and oh so practical guide for girls just starting out. Menounos bases the entire philosophy of the book on the principle of 'kaizen' - which means to see yourself as your main competition and to focus on besting your last best. Menounos has put this principle to good use - from the humble beginnings of a working class immigrant family (which she is intensely proud of)on to Hollywood, a successful career and strong personal relationships. She shows you how she got there, tells you what she has found important and warns against the pitfalls. Topics covered are home/office organization, personal style, relationships, health and business. The advice is concise, practical and frugal - her message is that you can have it all if you have a plan and are willing to work hard and believe in yourself. It does not miss a trick in covering what every young woman needs to know in order to be a success. Sprinkled throughout the book are interesting photos of Menounos' life plus a simple (yet effective) workout routine, healthy recipes and an appendix with a number of organizational checklists. The tone of the book is most appreciated - Menounos maintains a very positive attitude throughout, no nasty tell-all here.

This book goes to the top of my list of graduation/starting out gifts for any young women I know. The only complaint I have about the book is that I wish it had been bound in a ring binder type format; it would have been more useful if it were able to lay flat as you refer to certain sections or copy any of the checklists. Other than that, loved it. ( )
  buchowl | Jul 23, 2011 |

Raised by working-class immigrant parents and later exposed to Hollywood's most elite experts in every field, Access Hollywood's, Today's, and Nightly News's reporter Maria Menounos reveals her EveryGirl secrets on everything: her systems to organize life, manage time, and ascend the ladder of success; her lazy woman's workout; her weight-loss tips (how she lost forty pounds and kept it off); and her guide to styling yourself like the stars—a self-proclaimed EveryGirl, Maria often does her own hair and makeup for celebrity events.

In The EveryGirl's Guide to Life, Maria shares personal experiences and photos from her life and professional journey as well as the various mantras, mottos, and philosophies she's adopted from the world's most impressive women. She gives advice on health, career, relationships, renovations, recreation, and more. From your carpet to the red carpet, Maria teaches the EveryGirl on a budget how to do it all, while living a healthier and happier life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:27 -0400)

A host of "Access Hollywood" shares her experiences and practical tips that every woman can apply to achieve her own successful and healthy life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible