Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu

Legend (Legend, #1) (edition 2011)

by Marie Lu

Info:Putnam Juvenile, Hardcover, 305 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:GRimport

Legend by Marie Lu

Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (341)  Swedish (1)  All languages (342)
Cannot wait to dive into the next book.

I love how the chapters look different for the alternating POVs. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
Just a meh story overall. Weird romantic plot lines, confusing and disinterested characters, lackluster world development. ( )
  DylanWolters | Dec 18, 2018 |
Mijn volledige recensie is terug te vinden op:

Met Legend heeft Marie Lu een geweldig boek neergezet! Zucht .. Alweer een serie, en ja ik ben verkocht! De cover deed al vragen bij me oproepen, en dat is meestal een goede zaak. ( )
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
LEGEND is a very good book. Very epic. This morning, I was literally on the edge of my seat (the couch) and my younger brother told me to hush as I said “Daaang!” every five minutes.
Yeah, it was good.
But the book could have been GREAT.
One thing ruined it.
What was that one thing, you ask?
Well, (and believe me when I say that I never, ever thought I’d say this EVER, not in a million years) they kissed ENTIRELY TOO MUCH.
The first time they kissed, which was before they really knew each other’s identities, that one was okay.
But it really should’ve stopped after that.
I mean, they could be in love, sure. But, and seriously, I am giving you permission to call me crazy, I think that love would have been more believable IF THERE HAD BEEN LESS KISSING.
Not there was an absurd amount of kissing in this book. I counted. The tally stands at three kissing scenes, which, considering YA literature, isn’t bad.
But this book could have squeaked by with just the one.
Also, there was one point at the beginning of one of June’s chapters where she spends a whole paragraph daydreaming about kissing Day. I saw the word KISS and put my hand over the paragraph so I wouldn’t have to read it.
Not that Day isn’t awesome and kissable. He totally is. I just think they should have done it LESS.

Besides the kissing fail in this book, though, it was pretty epic. Conspiracies galore! We have two main characters who are smart, tough, and believable. Better than Katniss and Peeta by, like 1000 times.
Again, call me crazy, but I never really liked Katniss. In the first book, she was okay-ish, but in following books she crumbled to a whimpering crybaby.
I really hope that doesn’t happen with June. If it does, I’ll just explode.
Btw, if you ask me, the Republic is worse than the Capital. I mean, at east the Capital didn’t try to hide the fact it was killing kids. Also, they didn’t kill as many. Also, hey weren’t near so calculating about it.
Yeah.
My basic point: this book is EPIC. And so much BETTER than the Hunger Games.
And they kissed TOO MUCH.
You gotta fix that, Marie Lu.
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
What was once the United States has now become the Republic, a country that's always fighting both inside and out. June is the Capitol's prodigy--groomed to be an important part of the government from the beginning. Day is the Capitol's most wanted criminal--stealing in order to help his family survive. When June's brother is murdered, Day is the one wanted for the crime. But as their paths cross, June begins to learn about the Republic she's always defended and the secrets that it is desperate to keep hidden.

Told in alternating points of view, we get two extremes from the Republic--one that has everything and one that has nothing. This helps to not give the reader a biased view of this society, giving the reader a clearer overall view of the new society. As someone who reads a lot of dystopian fiction, this book was able to utilize a different take on the post-apocalyptic future, and one that I'm interested in learning more about in the later novels.

I also loved how this book was formatted. June's story is told in black, Day's story is told in gold. This is continued in the other books--Day's story is also told in the color of the cover. Creative formatting helps to build the story even more.

Read more at between-the-shelves.com! ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.
Not part of the Claudy Conn Legend series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marie Lu's book Legend was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,619,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible