Legend by Marie Lu

Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, murder, romance, Los Angeles

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (256)  Swedish (1)  All languages (257)
After the murder of her brother, June is determined to hunt down his killer and get justice for her torn family. There's just one problem: Metius's killer is none other than Day, himself--single-handedly the Republic's most elusive criminal of all time. While on the manhunt, June, the young prodigy and only citizen to have gotten perfect scores on her Trial, wonders why Metius? Why now? Why no one else? Day has never been known to kill anyone during his crimes. Maim, yes. Use, yes. Kill, no. So why the sudden change in tactics, and how is she going to manage to catch him?

This book was recommended to me a few weeks ago by an avid YA reader. The premise intrigued me, so I decided to give it a try. Despite it being yet another bandwagon dystopian, Marie Lu approaches the concept from a different angle from most others and resembles a slight 1984 tone. She repeatedly switches POVs from Day to June so the reader can see both sides of the situation. She also keeps certain characters in the dark about the government's tactics, which also keeps the readers in the dark.

Lu's debut novel is written in a well-formulated style, even if it is in first-person, present-tense (my least favorite POV). She develops her characters well and shows their different personalities in just a few phrases or chapters. Speaking of phrases, Marie Lu also has a master over simple words or statements that can completely alter your view of the story, as long as you're paying attention. If you're aware of what you're reading, you may be able to catch clues purposely left for the reader that will help you discover what's in store at the height of excitement.

The book was well-written and well-paced. Some areas seemed slightly predictable, but nothing that took away too much from the overall story.

Things to Watch Out For:

Romance: Character thinks he could get a "kiss or three" out of a girl if he had more time; boy thinks about kissing a girl; minor sensuality; two kiss and is described as "hungrily"; character has been known to kiss many girls; character tries to kiss another but is refused; girl has a passionate kissing dream with a lot of physical contact; guy knocks on girl's door in the middle of the night but didn't give a clear answer why
Language: H-9 (16, 58, 71, 103, 142, 256, 270); "fool"-5 (91, 211, 238, 303); G-2 (141); PO-1 (145); D-6; (153, 205, 213, 247, 255, 292); "bite me"-1 (168); "crap"-1 (169)
Violence: character has committed numeral crimes and is said to kill one man; man shoots a woman with a plague; man is stabbed and dies; a spy is seen being tortured; disease causes character's irises to bleed; one character shoots and kills another; character is beaten and tortured; government experiments on civilians; character dreams of someone graphically cutting open his knee; a massacre; boy killed by firing squad
Drugs: Boy steal medication for family; character uses alcohol to clean a wound; underage character enters a bar and is offered beer but he declines; underage drink wine
Nudity: Boy pulls off his shirt in front of two girls
Other: A boy is described with long hair down his back; plague infects a dystopian society; a few socially uncomfortable actions take place in this government-run world such as teenagers in war and a cold apathy for death of corpses ( )
  Jenneth | Apr 20, 2015 |
This was a great YA novel. No profanity, no inappropriate relationships. Just how I like them. *Smile*. I enjoyed the story too. There were some twists involved that surprised me. The two main characters are smart — and there were some almost “Sherlockian” observations made. You know I like those kinds of characters. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Would I recommend this to fellow book lovers? Yes.
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Yes. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
Not great writing but the premise is intriguing enough. Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I absolutely love this book. The characters are engaging and the plot moves swiftly. Even though it is another dystopian novel it doesn't read as cliche as the others. There is also great diversity, the main character is a minority and the female character is not stereotypically weak or reliant on male assistance.

I recommend this to lots of my reluctant readers and to the readers that read Hunger Games or Divergent but weren't as impressed as the mainstream.
  RachelSchillreff | Apr 6, 2015 |
RGG: Well-written, dystopian science fiction, that is very engaging because of the two main characters, who start out as enemies even though the reader senses they will become allies. Graphic violence: a parent is killed in cold blood for example. Some romance but not sexually explicit. 12-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Apr 4, 2015 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,720,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible