Legend by Marie Lu

Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, murder, romance, Los Angeles

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (295)  Swedish (1)  All languages (296)
It was good, but predictable. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Legend is the first book in a three part trilogy that I have recently finished. I wanted to finish all three right away and I was hoping to get permission from the author to use and image of her book here next to my review, still have not heard back from her. I thought that I might as well right the review. Because I finished the book before reviewing it I had to make a choice. Review it as a series or as an individual book.
I chose to do this review as an individual review because when you group a series together, yes you get the thoughts on the series as a whole, but you also risk ruining something for those who have yet to read the series.
I decided to read Legend on a whim. I had heard a lot about it in a lot of different places and what not. Some people liked it and others not so much. I must say that I did indeed enjoy the story. I had been looking at the series off and on for some time and I really do like dystopian series. At first I thought it was a little odd, to be honest, but I may have been judging it unfairly since I was in the middle of another series and unable to get my hands on the next book, therefore I was frustrated.
I really liked the action and the way that the main characters set themselves apart from the other characters in the series with both their skills and their intelligence. I was a little set off by the fact that the two main characters both tested the highest in the history of the government. Something about knowing that through me off, though in some ways it made sense that they would be on the same level. It seems highly unlikely that they would have found each other. I really really liked this book though and feel that anyone who likde Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken to read this book. It is a wonderful new dystopian novel.
stephanetiner.weebly.com ( )
  Stephergiggles | Jun 13, 2016 |
In all fairness, I am not the target market for this book and I know it is much loved by the YA crowd, but I thought the writing was quite poor. Especially the dialogue which was corny and stilted. ( )
  Iudita | Jun 12, 2016 |
I enjoyed this dystopian YA novel. The society was well designed and the characters likeable. It is, however, a YA novel with the obligatory romance that's geared for teens. 4 stars for readability and entertainment. ( )
  TheDenizen | May 31, 2016 |
This really drew me in. A nice dystopian action novel with an interesting romantic triangle and enough twists to want me to keep reading. The main characters are complex and the situations in which they find themselves are intriguing. Brutal and violent at times, it is the universal story of oppressed freedom fighters and their struggle against a dictatorial regime. Can't wait for the sequel. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,809,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible