Legend by Marie Lu

Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, murder, romance, Los Angeles

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (249)  Swedish (1)  All languages (250)
Legend is a YA dystopian novel told from the POV's of June and Day. June is a military prodigy being trained in strategy and command for the novel's futuristic government set in the western US. Day is an independent rebel fighting the big-brother regime.

What I enjoyed about this novel is that June, the girl, was the one being trained for military command and can kick some butt. I also liked that Day as a male took the time care for and take in a younger girl found on the streets and still look after his own family. He also tried to actually kill as little as possible, which was refreshing.

The novel also has some great action and chase scenes which drive the story along.

However, my biggest problem with this novel is that the evil government / dystopian setting is pretty generic. I've read quite a bit of dystopian, and there doesn't seem to be anything very unique about this one. Evil government conspiracy oppression = Bad.

I also thought that the relationship between June and Day wasn't developed very well and it fell prone to the love-at-first-site-mostly because-the-other-one-was-hot problem.

Overall the action made the book enjoyable but the lack of uniqueness in the world building and superficial character romance left it in the middle of the road for me.

EDIT:
How could I forget to mention the horrible gold text and font change every other chapter! It was both annoying and hard on my eyes. It really made it so that I couldn't really get into the book because it smacked me in the face with the change every chapter. I couldn't get invested in the story because the formatting choices just wouldn't let me. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
To start off with, this book was definitely packed with action and suspense. I also enjoyed the way it was written. There are two main characters and each chapter is in the point of view of one character at a time. So you got to react as the character was reacting to new information or circumstances that were happening to them. And what fantastic characters they are. They both have extraordinary skills that make the book so much more awesome. Overall I enjoyed this book and cannot wait to begin Prodigy. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |

Review to come. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
You know those moments when you feel like you read a different book than all your friends?

Yeah.

I don't know; it was just boring. June and Day (are those their names? I'm never going to remember) sounded EXACTLY THE SAME. I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING. And the plot was too predictable ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
been a while since I read this one - 75% I think ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 14, 2015 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,157,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible