Legend by Marie Lu

Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, murder, romance, Los Angeles

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (269)  Swedish (1)  All languages (270)
Funny how it is that Legend is a very popular, quick and easy read which seems to have all the necessary ingredients for success... and I didn't like it.

Despite all the horrors, tragedies and violence, I didn't get emotionally involved. This was like series of dystopian tropes generously sprinkled here and there but with no substance.

June is courageous, talented and misguided. Day is recklessly brave and doesn't have a proper goal, he just drifts, wonders, which made me question what the hell was he doing all this time with his so called heroics if he didn't have an agenda in place?! What angered me was that with all his talents he wasn't really fighting the system, he was just taunting it. Really, Day, really?

There are token villains, dictatorship, lack of tangible roots or any sort of past and history. There is no world-building, only here and now, no character development.

The major twist in plot can be guessed right at the beginning. I don't think I will be reading book two, because I really do need more depth in my reading, however, Legend is entertaining, fast and easy, - a lot more people will love it than they won't. That's all that matters. *shrugs*

Read at your own risk. Very similar to Divergent, although the latter is a stronger book. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
In post-apocalyptic-America, the center of the country is no man's land and there are two warring factions: the Republic (the haves) and the Patriots (the have-nots). Day is a Patriot fighting against an unjust, unfeeling Republic. Jane is an exemplary Republic soldier commissioned to hunt him down. In addition to the political struggles, a virulent plague has broken out in the Patriot quarters. When Day allegedly kills Jane's brother, their worlds collide. Real and figurative sparks fly as Jane and Day realize their mutual feelings and their --surprising--common purpose. Fast-paced action with a great romance to boot. ( )
  mjspear | Nov 13, 2015 |
Legend takes place in Los Angeles, in a future dystopian society. The story is told in alternating point of views between Day, a wanted criminal of The Republic, and June, The Republic's prodigy young agent. They meet after June's bother is killed and Day is the main suspect. June vows to bring justice for the crime and so begins a whirlwind plot of trying to find the truth behind her brother's death and on a larger scale, the truth of what The Republic is hiding. Lu creates a story that while not overly action packed is still fast paced, suspenseful and thrilling. I cannot wait to read the next novel in the trilogy, Prodigy. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
When I first mentioned Legend by Marie Lu on social media in 2012, I represented its dystopian goodness succinctly. I wrote, "If Katniss and Gale were Romeo and Juliet: Legend by Lu." I got that slightly wrong. Lu does love the Hunger Games so the sentiment is right, but it's Les Miserables not Romeo and Juliet that inspired the relationship between Legend's power couple. Whatever the case, I highly recommend buying your teen, your library, yourself this first book of a trilogy.

See full review (including personal correspondence with Lu) at http://rebelwithablog.blogspot.com/2013/08/book-review-legend-by-marie-lu.html ( )
  rebl | Nov 5, 2015 |
OK, so the story is good and the reason why it is good is because it's an exciting story about a girl named Day who has her brother Metias get killed by the most wanted criminal in America, and she tries to hunt him down it's a got to read book. ( )
  KieavieT.B4 | Oct 27, 2015 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible