Legend by Marie Lu

Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, murder, romance, Los Angeles

Legend by Marie Lu

Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (232)  Swedish (1)  All languages (233)
I do enjoy a good dystopian, I do. But I have standards.

Any dystopian worth its salt absolutely must have:

Characters to root for
The split POV between the hero and heroine didn't do them any favours. Their personalities are so similar they're practically the same person. Only their differing circumstances told me which POV I was reading.

Robin Hood Day and Maid Marian June are superheroes with superhuman abilities and a penchant for taking risks. They can scale multistory buildings in mere seconds, they possess super sharp eyesight, have excellent strategy and fighting skills and their IQs must match those of Mensa prodigies. Authority figures are there to be disobeyed and humiliated. No rule is too small to be broken. Murder is a line not to be crossed.

These are fifteen-year-olds we're talking about here. Fifteen.

Character growth is non-existent. I don't count the opening of June's eyes because it didn't change her outlook on life, she just channeled her efforts in a different direction.

Did I care for any of the characters? No. They never endeared themselves to me. Both character deaths meant nothing. We didn't get to know them therefore, no shock, no tears.

Solid worldbuilding
How did this world come to be? I don't know. Do I fully understand the inner workings of the world as it is now? Not really. It's all very vague. There's a war going on and the baddies, this militaristic government, appear to be winning. But that's all in the background and not the focus of this book.

A worthy cause to get invested in
Did I feel outraged by the events in the book? No. It was monotonous. The cause wasn't obvious from the beginning though it became a little clearer at the very end. The trials and the plague were downplayed when they should've been ever-present in the readers' minds for the revelations at the end to be meaningful. Mostly there's just a general disparity between the rich and the poor. Anyway, the more you read, the more predictable everything became. There is, however, a mission to be carried out in the next book, which may end up being far more interesting than this one. Legend may well be a prequel to the real action.

After several attempts to read this it failed to intrigue me, and because it's due back at the library I had to force myself to finish by skimming. I hope no one judges the dystopian genre by this book.

Predictable, forgettable, pointless. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
Not as good as expected, but still a super fast read and definitely exciting enough to make me buy the sequel! ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible