Legend by Marie Lu

Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, murder, romance, Los Angeles

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (263)  Swedish (1)  All languages (264)
About a year ago, I unfairly misjudged Legend, along with [b:The Maze Runner|6186357|The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)|James Dashner|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1375596592s/6186357.jpg|6366642], before even bringing myself to finish the first chapter. Maybe it was laziness or the assumption that it would be just another wannabe Dystopian trilogy, but thanks to my dear friend Laura, I picked up the book again and actually finished it this time. And guess what? I genuinely liked it.

The two protagonists, Day, a Most Wanted criminal, and June, the capitol's Golden Child, are two badass teenagers that find each other in an ironic way. June is hunting him down as revenge for killing her brother while Day is trying to stay hidden in order to aid and protect his family. They both narrated and although I didn't mind the alternating narration, I did mind the voice of both Day and June. Their voices were identical, as were their abilities. Day and June were replicas of each other, except they had different circumstances and situations (and gender duh). I found them to be one-dimensional and sometimes I even confused them as the same character.

They could kick ass and were unbelievably intelligent, which I loved about them, truly. However, some of the things they did were completely unbelievable (I'm sorry, Lu, but you're telling me Day broke into a high-security bank in, as you claim, only a few seconds? I'm not buying it). If you're writing a dystopian, I understand the lead must have special abilities different from everyone else in order for the story to move along, but let's not go overboard with the abilities. Last thing we need is superpowers.

Unlike many other dystopian series, Legend's world building is impeccable. Granted, it was cliche and predictable, but impeccable all the same. Questions remained, I admit, yet there are two other books to the series, which I'm convinced will answer the leftover questions. The action, pace, and plot absorbed me while reading and I can't wait to finish the series. I really, really can't. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Legend is a middling, “brain candy” sort of YA dystopia. It’s far from the worst of the genre I’ve read, but it doesn’t really do anything different either.

The basic set up of Legend should be familiar: Something Happened. Now there’s a new government (the Republic). It’s almost certainly evil. Our young teenage protagonists (June and Day) will rise up and over throw it. Got the picture?

Legend alternates between June and Day. Day’s the Republic’s most wanted criminal, while June’s a prodigy being trained to enter the military. Then, June’s brother is found dead and Day is blamed. June’s sent out to capture him, and their paths collide.

First of all, I did enjoy Legend. It’s entertaining. However, it doesn’t really go beyond that. It doesn’t make me think or raise any questions. If I had to put together topics of discussion for it for a book club, I’d be hard pressed to come up with talking points. Basically, this is what I’d term “fluff.”

On the scale of YA dystopia’s, I’d say it’s about at the middle of the pack. It’s nowhere near as terrible as The Selection and the premise isn’t as stupid as in Divergent, but it doesn’t really reach the levels of The Hunger Games. There’s also no new ideas that would make it stand out from the pack. However, it’s fast paced, fairly short, and full of action. It could be worse.

Legend is the sort of book where you don’t see the flaws until you’ve finished. Characterization is probably it’s biggest failing. The secondary characters felt like cardboard cut outs, and the leads weren’t too much better. June had the most potential, as she actually underwent character growth. However, I felt like this growth happened really quickly and took place largely off stage. Day, on the other hand, felt entirely too perfect.

June and Day being fifteen strained credibility. He’s only fifteen and the most wanted criminal in the entire Republic? A status he seems to have gained largely through breaking and entering? June is only fifteen and is given a high ranking position in the military and sent on a mission? Oh, they’re both drop dead gorgeous too, the book’s reminds us of that frequently.

Maybe I shouldn’t be too harsh on Legend. If you’re looking for fluff, you could do worse. So I guess I would recommend this one for thus looking for a mindless but fun read. It’s the sort of thing I’d like to pick up when I’m in bed with a cold.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 22, 2015 |
Really interesting, enjoyed from start to finish. Good characters, looking forward to finishing the series. Plus, feels good in the hand.
  mateideyr | Jul 17, 2015 |
This book is told in alternate chapter by Day, a boy from the poor part of Los Angeles, and June, a girl from the highest military caste who is being groomed for a prestigious military career. Both were tested at age 10. June got a perfect score and finds herself in military college at twelve; Day also got a perfect score but was told he failed and found himself in a military hospital being experimented on. He escapes and spends his time trying to help his family and hinder the Republic's military plans.

In this city, there are recurring plagues that hit mainly the poor parts of town. When plague hits his family house and his young brother Eden is a victim, Day is determined to get the cure. After a failed attempt to steal the potion in which a soldier is killed, he has to find another way to get money to buy the cure.

The soldier who was killed was June's brother Metias which makes June determined to track down Day and bring him to justice. She goes undercover, finds him, spends time with him, and begins to see that he is much different than she had thought. She still turns him in but things happen that disillusion her about the military's goals. She has to find a way to break him out before his execution.

This was a good story. It is easy to see that people in the Republic are being fed misinformation but also easy to see how someone in June's class would believe it. I look forward to the rest of the series to see what happens next for Day and June. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 10, 2015 |
Packed full of action, this book kept me flipping page after page. When the USA gets divided into a futuristic civil war, a boy from the rebellion meets a girl from the capitol and they fall in love. ( )
  iamryancorcoran | May 25, 2015 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,420,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible