Legend by Marie Lu

Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, murder, romance, Los Angeles

Legend by Marie Lu

Rising by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (309)  Swedish (1)  All (310)
This was a great read. Exciting and problematic with a hint of romance. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the dystopic genre. Can't wait for the next book! ( )
  mjolorenz | Jun 30, 2017 |
Buddy read with Francis and Lisa.

I haven’t read many dystopian novels. They just aren’t my thing. I ended up reading this one because Francis insisted that I accompany her plus it was on sale at Amazon.

This book is incredibly fast paced, action-packed and easy to read. It’s also predictable even to someone who hasn’t read the genre as much. Saw those twists coming from a mile away. The writing is wooden and emotionless. Some scenes that were sure to strangle my heart and submit my tear ducts to a hurricane of emotion fell flat like egg whites that had been folded one too many times.

June is a perfect little Mary Sue soldier. She got perfect scores in her trial, she can climb buildings like Spiderman and she is also perfectly observant. When I was discussing this with Francis and Lisa, I said that she reminded me of a robot. Then I thought of Wall-E. Wall-E has more personality and larger range of emotion than June.

Day is lovable, trustworthy idiot who is the Republic’s most wanted criminal. Why? Because he’s a prankster and the Republic really likes overreacting like the regime that it is.

Sad thing is you can’t really tell Day and June apart in narration. They lack a unique voice. Since the book is narrated in a dual first person POV, whenever I got lost while reading I needed to head back and see who was supposed to be talking. Makes me wonder if the characterization took a hit because of all the attention the action was getting.

My favorite character was Metias, June’s brother. He dies 10% into the book. Such is my luck.

What’s worse for me, the romance feels out of place and a tad forced. Never been a big fan of the instalove. Like why are you guys making out after you found out your brother took your place and died for you?

Personally, I’m not emotionally involved so I’m not in the least beat interested in continuing with this trilogy.

What upsets me the most is not knowing what happens to Ollie, June’s dog. They better not hurt him or I will never forgive the person who did it. I’m looking at you, Thomas. You look quite capable of doing despicable things to innocent animals. Jerk. I will have to google this so I am at peace. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Another dystopian science-fiction adventure featuring talented kids on the run, Legend has a crisp set-up and a stylish execution. The bad guys are a little too on-the-nose, and the good guys triumph a little too easily, at least in the short term. What the novel lacks in intellectual complexity it makes up in emotional resonance and narrative drive. Lu has quickly joined the top rank of this growing genre. However me being a teenager found this book remarkably gripping, having the author find a way for the average teen to happily switch places with either of the main characters even though it is based in a war zone, dictatorship. ( )
  Hannahsloth | Jun 18, 2017 |
4.5/5

This is another surprise for me. It was a lot better than I expected it to be.

I read the book while also listening to the audio (which helped me get through the book faster). The narrators were really good even though at some points, I'd hoped a little more emotion was put into some things that were being said but they still did a great job. It made the book that much better for me. I had read the first two-three chapters on my own before I finally picked up the book, found the audio then got through the book.

I am not really big on dystopia, so I normally don't finish most of the ones I've started, but I keep trying. I'm not really sure if I ever finished a dystopian type of book, if I have, I don't remember the title off the top of my head and doubt I went on in the series (so it must not have been that memorable for me if I had! lol)

I loved the characters Day, June & Tess....I hope to see Tess get back into the mix in Prodigy whenever I am able to go pick it up. I'm not going to go into Prodigy expecting a whole lot because I tend to find that when I am pleasantly surprised by books in a series, I tend not to like the second and/or third book and never finish the series...And that's frustrating because I always wonder what happened with the characters.

Hopefully, this will be a series that I enjoy. I remember hearing a lot of people on YouTube/BookTube talking about the books but just don't remember the reactions to each book and not sure if I want to go find out..I don't want to get over hyped about a book but I also dont want to have someone tell me they didnt like certain books after Legend. I tend to wait until hype dies down about books before I read them because I tend to enjoy many of them more when I do. And I think this is the case with this book..

I guess this has turned into less of a review and more of a rant about what I like or don't like about other things...So, I'm going to just say now, I enjoyed the book a lot...and hush up now! :-) ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
RGG: Well-written, dystopian science fiction, that is very engaging because of the two main characters, who start out as enemies even though the reader senses they will become allies. Graphic violence: a parent is killed in cold blood for example. Some romance but not sexually explicit. 12-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Mar 31, 2017 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.
Not part of the Claudy Conn Legend series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marie Lu's book Legend was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,188,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible