Legend by Marie Lu

Info:Penguin (2012), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2013, YA, Romance, Dystopy

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (288)  Swedish (1)  All languages (289)
The Republic consists of the western United States and is at war with its neighbors consistently. The Patriots are trying to start a revolution to bring the Republic and the Colonies together.

Day is a criminal looking out for his family. His family believes him to be dead. The Republic does not really know what he looks like and is hunting him. He does not pledge allegiance to the Republic or to the Patriots.

June is a prodigy in the Republic and is sent to find Day. She is searching for answers to her brother's death. She loves the Republic and wants to serve her country.

What happens when these two meet? Will June still love her dear Republic? Is Day telling the truth? ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
I read this in a day. Actually less than a day, it's a quick read. I looked Lu's handling of dystopia, which is becoming a tired trope in YA fiction. In her hand, it felt fresh. Looking forward to reading the next one! ( )
  ajsteadman | Apr 20, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book, I'm glad I didn't read any reviews before going in or I might have had my mind set that I'd be bored. I was not bored, I found myself wanting to read more to see what was going on. It's interesting in the dystopian world to find a book that sets two teens from different stations in life and see how different their lives are. I don't think we've really gotten that in the genre before, at least not in the books I've read. I also loved seeing how June figures things out and how the book comes to a close. I'm very eager to read more and intend to start on Prodigy soon. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
amazinggggggggg .. i want the next one NOW! ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
Joseph Souza is an extraordinarily gifted writer and readers will find "Unpaved Surfaces" a well thought out story that will provoke the inner emotions of any family’s deepest fears. The loss of a child.

Caught up in the rush of life, both the mom and dad make the fatal mistake of leaving their autistic son, Auggie alone at a bus stop. This proves deadly as the boy darts off on his own mission and is never seen again.

We find ourselves in the wake of the aftermath of that decision and follow a family trying desperately to cope with their loss. The father, a chef by trade, cannot hold a job. Keith is overwhelmed by guilt after leaving the boy alone at the bus stop without waiting to see if he made it safely on board. It was something he had always done in the past. His wife, a writer, cannot type a word anymore as she harbors a secret guilt that she won’t share, not even with her husband. Their three remaining children are all deeply affected by the loss. Frenchy, the oldest of the three is popular, smart and pretty, the middle child Shippen is very inward and Beanie is happy go lucky. Each of them deals with the loss of their brother in their own way. Thankfully, the writing supports the voices clearly for each of these characters.

Souza paints a picture of an upscale town that has lost their way in a lot of respects. The family fights to improve the area by asking the community to consider putting in running/biking trails around the area. This will remove the threat for others who run and play along the roads that are surrounded by woods. Although it may not completely remove the issue, it would have made what happened to their son a lot harder to pull off in broad daylight. The wealthy balk at such a concept, siting concerns such as increased taxes and loss of the rich beauty they are currently surrounded by.

The family falls under continuous attack for their stance on improving the trails. They are chastised both publicly and privately. There are subtle nuances that continue to plague the struggling family. Their campaign signs are consistently stolen, the police chief is annoyed every time one of them approaches for an update on the crime, neighbors are afraid to acknowledge them, a female pastor insensitively tells them “God has a plan” and on top of it all their house is foreclosing.

The only hope of closure resides in the premonitions that their father is having. These momentary lapses put Keith in jeopardy. He has lost several jobs and continues to put more strain on the family. His wife is so bewildered by her husband's odd actions, she finds herself seeking comfort with another man. Keith on the other hand is oblivious to his wife and can’t help the drive and desire to see his son again. When he has a premonition, he drifts into a dimension where he and Auggie communicate and every communication brings him a step closer to the killer. Even though the case has gone cold, the extra-worldly assistance brings Keith closer and closer to discovering the truth. All of the tension is very, very real and the pressure immense as the family uncovers clues about Auggie's killer.

I found the tension and pace to be quite good in this novel. It will keep you riveted as you explore their lives in the aftermath of such a horrendous event. The characters are real and believable. Readers will find themselves rooting for this desperate family on the brink of destruction and all the while trying to second guess what the author has prepared for them in the end. I would not in any way classify this as a feel good story, but hope springs eternal as we become embroiled in the search for this innocent boy’s killer and try to bring closure for a family who clings to his existence. Hang on folks, it’s one hell of a ride. ( )
  Vincent282 | Mar 26, 2016 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible