Legend by Marie Lu

Info:Penguin (2012), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2013, YA, Romance, Dystopy

Legend by Marie Lu

2011 (12) 2012 (22) 2013 (18) action (17) adventure (24) ARC (13) criminals (18) dystopia (151) dystopian (93) ebook (16) family (14) fantasy (19) fiction (56) fugitives (18) future (17) government (12) Los Angeles (28) plague (50) post-apocalyptic (23) read in 2012 (13) romance (61) science fiction (114) series (25) soldiers (13) teen (25) to-read (113) war (22) YA (89) young adult (105) young adult fiction (14)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (199)  Swedish (1)  All languages (200)
This book is about a futuristic society. The United States has a series of natural disasters and many refugees coming from the east to the west. The west built a wall and become the Republic and the east became the Colonies. June Iparis is a prodigy and born into a rich family. She scored 1500/1500 on her trials (tests that tell if you life to become a member of society or not). Day has a low score, or so the goverment says, and was going to be killed. He escaped and is now the country's most wanted criminal. Day and Tess his companion live on the streets. One day the plauge patrol come and Day finds out that his brother has the plauge. June's brother dies during a raid Day staged on the hospital to get plauge cures. Day did not kill June's brother but noone knows that. June is sent out to kill Day and she doesn't but she does capture him. Day's mom is killed and Day is going to be executed. Day and June escape but are on the run.

I loved this book. I am giving it a five out of five stars. It was really good. This book was not boring at all! I liked how this book used gold print for days part. Because the cover of the book is gold. This book was amazing. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  katrinam.b1 | Mar 31, 2014 |
Another(!) dystopian YA book. Not entirely sure the flooding bit all held together for me with the desciptions of the buildings and city, but then again, I did speed read through it. Nicely developed characters with gradually revealed backstory. Commander Jameson is probably a little too one dimension for my liking but the five to seven other main characters are better. ( )
  devilish2 | Mar 27, 2014 |
Young adult dystopian novels is a genre that is getting pretty crowded, which means that there are lots of bad ones and only an occasional gem. Well, this one is a gem. Not perfect or polished, but solid and definitely intriguing enough for me to want to pick up the sequel. Set in Southern California in a future where society is strongly divided by wealth, the government oppresses the poor through the usual methods of starvation, lack of education and lack of opportunity, but there is something much more devious going on. Definitely not predictable and very exciting! ( )
  jmoncton | Mar 21, 2014 |
Exciting and wholly original dystopian tale. I can't wait to get into the sequel, Prodigy. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
This is one of those books I saw at the bookstore a handful of times before I actually bought it but I'm glad I did. At this point I have read all of the books and it's a decent series. I like that it is told from both June and Day's point of view, it keeps it interesting. It took a few pages to get into it but by the end I was looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Musichhopelive | Feb 9, 2014 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible