Legend by Marie Lu

Title:Legend
Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (253)  Swedish (1)  All languages (254)
Legend is a book about a boy that his mother thinks he is died. This boy is so bad that he is wanted for a lot of money the things is that the police dont know what he looks like. He says that it is funny because they dont know what picture they should put. This boy has lots of dreams about his mother. He has dreams that peoplke will go the his house and check his mother. They would put x on the door but no they didnt put a x at all.

Legend was a really good book i loved it. The book goes to really life to a dream this boy dreams a lot. He dreams about his mother and all the things they did to her. It was good i really loved it. It was really good but the part that i like was that the police didnt know what he looked like. They would make him look like a black man or a asian man they didnt know. I was a really good book i think kids should read it. ( )
  EdselC.B1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Interesting new dystopian YA novel! Marie Lu has laid out interesting groundwork. I'm glad to have come across book 1 without having to wait for the publishing of book 2.

If you have read and enjoyed Divergent, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, or Delirium, you will enjoy this book, too. I recommend this those who have enjoyed those, but understand that this book is not as fully developed in its story as the first books of HG, MR or Divergent.

That being said, I do agree with another reviewer about the ages of the H and h; 15/16 years old is a bit too young to figure out what the military government is up to with the plague viruses - the H and h may be off-the-charts intelligent and connected, but I find the ages, problem-solving and all-around knowledge of government workings a bit too hard to believe. The H and h should have stand-out qualities, but they should also have been given time to have experience. June's brother was the primary source for her learning about the government's use of the plague viruses about ten-ish years older than June -- making his slow process of discovery more believable.

It wasn't until Insurgent, The Scorch Trials and, Pandemonium that the reader came to better understand what shenanigans the governments were up to following Divergent, The Maze Runner and Delirium. I expect the same to happen in Prodigy.

This dystopian series is a much easier read than Maze Runner and not as thoroughly constructed as Divergent, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable or entertaining. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
It took me a lot longer than I had planned to read this book, but that in no way is a testament to the story itself. Life just got in my way.

The story of Day and June starts out a bit slow, but before long you find yourself sucked into a world you can scarcely imagine. Life is so much different, and yet I can imagine it that way. I imagine there are countries in the world where life is already like this. Is this what the future holds for this country? You cannot help but wonder.

The story draws you in and you find yourself imagining the situations the characters find themselves in. I wonder, if I were Day, would I have that same level of devotion to my family? If I were June, would I react the same way to what happens? And then, when so much more is revealed later on, how would I handle it.

Marie Lu paints a poignant picture of a life that seems unimaginable and at once immensely real. For me, reading is about escape, but also about wondering about the what ifs. I was at once taken to a new and frightening place, and also plunged into the depths of wondering how my life would be different, if only.

I am anxiously awaiting the next installment in this series to be available from my public library so that I can continue the journey with these inspiring characters. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Legend is a YA dystopian novel told from the POV's of June and Day. June is a military prodigy being trained in strategy and command for the novel's futuristic government set in the western US. Day is an independent rebel fighting the big-brother regime.

What I enjoyed about this novel is that June, the girl, was the one being trained for military command and can kick some butt. I also liked that Day as a male took the time care for and take in a younger girl found on the streets and still look after his own family. He also tried to actually kill as little as possible, which was refreshing.

The novel also has some great action and chase scenes which drive the story along.

However, my biggest problem with this novel is that the evil government / dystopian setting is pretty generic. I've read quite a bit of dystopian, and there doesn't seem to be anything very unique about this one. Evil government conspiracy oppression = Bad.

I also thought that the relationship between June and Day wasn't developed very well and it fell prone to the love-at-first-site-mostly because-the-other-one-was-hot problem.

Overall the action made the book enjoyable but the lack of uniqueness in the world building and superficial character romance left it in the middle of the road for me.

EDIT:
How could I forget to mention the horrible gold text and font change every other chapter! It was both annoying and hard on my eyes. It really made it so that I couldn't really get into the book because it smacked me in the face with the change every chapter. I couldn't get invested in the story because the formatting choices just wouldn't let me. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,183,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible