Legend by Marie Lu

Title:Legend
Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (259)  Swedish (1)  All languages (260)
Packed full of action, this book kept me flipping page after page. When the USA gets divided into a futuristic civil war, a boy from the rebellion meets a girl from the capitol and they fall in love. ( )
  iamryancorcoran | May 25, 2015 |
Legend is about a new republic of America that tries to track down this kid. This kid is not dangerous. In fact, The republic does not know exactly what he looks like. He is the most wanted criminal in the Republic. His name is Day, and just like others, he is not able to see his family. The Trial is what keeps him from doing so. He failed the trial, and so he was barred from high school and has to live a low-level life like most people, but is no ordinary kid because of the journey he endeavors. This book Is not only fast moving but action - packed. This new republic is the perfect picture. This government wants the most genetically advanced humans to be part of it. The book itself has daring parts that give you goose bumps. The beginning of the action packed parts were almost shocking. This book overall was wonderful. I give it a 4.5/5 ( )
  JamesG.B1 | May 24, 2015 |
I wanted to read this one because I have been in a string of contemporaries, and wanted something different. It has been a bit since I read a dystopia, and I have heard great things about this series from a lot of my blogging buddies, so I picked it up from the library.

I was interested in the world building and the US that is no longer the US as we know it. There is a dual perspective from Day and June, two very different characters but ones that also share more similarities than one might think.

They are both motivated by family, and they are extraordinary in their own rights. June is a female and she is in the top percentage of the test they administer, she is put into the military after her brother dies, and her first mission is to catch her brother's killer, who all signs point to Day.

Day is a fugitive, he failed the tests they give, but he has also given the government the slip. He has staged protests, destroyed or delayed military operations, and he was caught in the hospital trying to get a cure for his parents, who believe him to be dead.

The action and pacing got going pretty quickly, and that is what sucked me in besides liking the main characters because they are flourishing despite tough backgrounds. I was a little confused at the military set up, the testing, the way they were dealing with the plague, and what the different factions were that the main military is trying to fight. But I knew that that world building would kick in and just went with it.

There are some major secrets being kept of course, and as June opens her eyes more to what is around her, and listens to her conscience that a lot of it isn't right. She starts to look more into the death of her brother, more into the mystery that is Day, and she uncovers a lot of things. Day is informed about the government and the war, he has a lot of street smarts, and he realizes that he may just have met his match with June.

I enjoyed the budding romance, but also their cognizance of the issues it presents when they realize the other's true identity and what they are affiliated with and what that means to them personally and seems that they are at odds.

I will def be continuing this series, and so glad that I gave it a try even though I had some doubts, I kept seeing good reviews for Marie Lu and this series by bloggers I trust. Fate put it on that library shelf and I am glad.

Bottom Line: Enjoyed the dystopia, characterization, themes of family and friendship and their growing connection. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | May 22, 2015 |
What was your biggest 'surprise' novel of 2012? The one that gave you something totally other than you were expecting from it? For me it was definitely Legend by Marie Lu -- which may be a bit of a cheat as it was released at the end of November of 2011, but as I read it in 2012, it's counting.

Something I read about Legend prior to its release dissuaded me from reading it when it was first released. Then, since then, I've only remembered that I decided not to read it - not why - and not read it. But a few weeks ago I was looking for a YA audio book I hadn't read/listened to before and came across Legend.

Whatever convinced me not to read it back in 2011? I curse you.

I can't remember the last time I fell in love with a books main character and wished for him to be real. (Even if the fact that he's fifteen makes that thought slightly creepy on my part.) It's likely been since Simone Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry or Carolee Dean's Take Me There that I've loved a male YA character and his relationship/interactions with the other/female main character so much. Day isn't the classic bad boy character, but he's also not a tender wrongly portrayed innocent.

Day and June did seem older than their fifteen years. While June's age was given right away and then some information was given that also, actually, explained her seeming older, Day's age was not (I don't think) given for a bit longer and I thought he was older. In Legend, however their age works - both them being fifteen and them seeming older - quite brilliantly.

Now that we know I LOVE the characters - like I'm madly in love with Day, June has a German shepherd which kind of wins me over on its own but then she's pretty snazz, too - what about the plot? This isn't a novel that forgot about its plot in favor of its characters. There's the Republic with its districts that are separate and not equal, the war, and the how everyone's fate is decided in the Republic. Marie Lu came up with a society for Legend and seems to have thought it out really well.

The story doesn't skimp on the violence but it doesn't add it in where its not necessary (or if its unnecessary it's necessarily unnecessary, if that makes any sense). It may be hard to read about/listen to but it's an important part of the character's tale and moves their story forward.

For how much more we get to see of their world as well more of some characters I heart so madly, I cannot wait for Prodigy's release at the end of January. (So thing that I cursed earlier - about four paragraphs up? Yeah, I kind of want to thank you now because I only have to wait a month now.)

(A small note on the audio book, I love that as the book has two narrators -- Day and June -- the audio book has a separate narrator for each character.)

Rating: 10 /10

Other books you might also enjoy: Take Me There by Carolee Dean, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles and Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
A good start to the series, just wish the author was not so keen on telling us what was going to happen next. ( )
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,869,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible