Legend (edition 2011)

Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:2013 Readings, Your library
Tags:Young Adult, dystopia

Legend by Marie Lu

Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (228)  Swedish (1)  All languages (229)
Not as good as expected, but still a super fast read and definitely exciting enough to make me buy the sequel! ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Personally legend is a great book. It follows the story of a young boy nicknamed day and a girl names June, through a chase through the eastern have of the united states called the republic. ( )
  ChristianJordan | Sep 11, 2014 |
Legend by Marie Lu

Legend is definitely one of the better YA Dystopian novels. There’s tons of action, a corrupt government, and a romance that doesn’t take over the story. Another plus, the romance isn’t a love triangle. Thank God for that! The best thing about this novel is that a character that is meant to be smart, actually does smart things. I know, I know, that I shouldn’t be impressed by this, but considering the amount of characters I’ve read that are supposed to be smart but are actually stupid, I’m happy.

I’m really happy.

So does this mean that I like the book? Yep! Does this mean that the book is perfect? Not exactly. I did have some problems with the characters. There are some that are great, like Tess and Metias, but some did feel a bit one note and even if they were developed a bit, they soon fell into their designated roles and didn’t stray from it. Thomas would be a great example of that. I don’t like him, but I feel like out of everyone in the novel he’s hands down the most interesting. We learn about his values, his ethics, but by the end he’s love sick tool of the government and that was disappointing to me. This is the first book in the series, so I’m guessing we’ll be seeing more of him in the future. I’m just afraid that he’s going to come off as a caricature instead of what I see him as.

I did like the dual narrative in this book. Both June and Day had distinct voices throughout the novel and I enjoyed seeing more of the world from their points of view. There was a point where their voices did start to mesh together. There is a somewhat instant attraction/love here that we’ve come to know and expect when it comes to this genre, but there is a bit of a difference here. Despite the instalove that happened, June and Day didn’t allow it to change their personality or their motivations. They didn’t do things for the sake of love; they did it because that’s what they believed in. Their relationship is still in the early stages, so this may change (I hope not), but I did like how little we saw of this.

As for the plot, this is the first novel in the series so expect a lot of questions to go unanswered. It is straight forward, with the characters questioning their beliefs and views, but I do think it leaves you wanting a bit more. The government is a typical dystopian government, which means they’re basically evil. I don’t know why though, or why they’re so horrible to their citizens, but all we need to know now is that they’re evil. I did want more from this, but I definitely see the potential.

Which comes to world building, it is a bit lacking, but I think this has to do more with June and Day and the fact that they just don’t know anything. June has been taught to never question and believe what she’s told, while Day is too busy being a wanted criminal to learn history. We did start to learn things towards the end, but definitely not enough. I’m hoping that the next novel will expand on this and we’ll soon find out what exactly happened to America and why the Republic took over.

Overall, I liked this. It wasn’t perfect, but it did keep me entertained and made me want to find out what happens next. I truly can’t wait to read the next one. In fact, I think I’ll start reading it now.

pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Engaging from the begining - dystopian society - lookig forward to #2 ( )
  Kathy_Dyer | Sep 7, 2014 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible