Legend by Marie Lu

Info:Putnam Juvenile (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:2013 Readings, Your library
Tags:Young Adult, dystopia

Legend by Marie Lu

New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (236)  Swedish (1)  All languages (237)
Oh .. crazy little series, what a surprise you turned out to be.

I saw such high rating for this book, and I knew I probably wouldn't like it - my tastes are completely opposite of other people, but I love this book and the whole series! The author is so talented with her writing, it's professionally written unlike the work I see these days. I find Dsytopia novels fascinating.

The romance between Day and June was amazing, I wish they were a little older though. They seem too young to be that fearless and strong. I remember, I was a complete sissy at the age of fifteen. Anyway, I love the whole forbidden romance - the golden girl of the country with the most wanted criminal. This novel/series is amazing. It was mysterious and adventurous, a page turner for sure.

The two P.O.V's were great too, I could read the thoughts of both. I loved Day, he isn't like the typical bad boy in novels these days, he's actually smart and caring. Day and June are very similar with their personalities. The ending of this series made me want to scream and die .. but afterwards, I realized there couldn't be a better ending for this series. It made perfect sense afterwards, you would understand too if you read it!

This book and the whole series is a total classic for me, perfection, a total 5 out of 5 for me ( )
  benishkhanx | Nov 4, 2014 |
First installment about the lives of 'Day' and June, one a legend and the other a prodigy, in futuristic America that has been divided into two states, The Republic and The Colonies. Lu has written the book with each chapter swapping from the view point of our two heroes, not sure if I like this back and forth storytelling. I loved the story line and felt equally engaged with both 'Day's' and June's stories. Very similar to the book 'Divergent' - two young people from different backgrounds coming together to save the world they live in. ( )
  RettaRyan | Nov 4, 2014 |
What would you do if your whole family was dying of disease and you couldn't effort to help? Would you turn to a life of crime or get a job to earn to the money? This is the challenge that Day is face with in the book, Legend. This science fiction book written by Marie Lu is a good book about what Day does when put in this situation.

Legend is all about Day and a girl named June. Day is the most wanted criminal of the Republic. June is the only person to score a perfect and is in the highest circle of the military. Day and june crossed paths when Day killed June’s brother, Marcus. June is then assigned to find Day and take him off the streets. One problem is that June and the republic have if that they don’t know what Day looks like. Day is wondering the streets , gambling and trying to earn money however possible. Day is trying to provide for his family and help them through the plague. June and Day are caught in a big game of manhunt and find that they have a lot in common.

The book was a very good and exciting read. There is a lot of action and conflict that take place in the book. I really liked to book because there wasn’t a dull moment in the story. Marie Lu does a great job with the writing of the book. Everything is so vividly described that you can see the story taking place. The book and really good and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good story. ( )
  Riwa14 | Oct 23, 2014 |
It is somewhere in the future, the U.S has split up into to states. The republic and the colonies. there is this kid who is know as Day. His real name is Daniel Altan Wing. He is the republics most wanted criminal, and he has yet to be jailed. He lives on the street causing chaos to the republic. There is a disease, The plague, that is infecting the headquarters of the republic. Who ever has the plague will have there door marked with an x and will not be able to leave the house under no circumstance. The republic will only give the vaccine to the rich sectors, not the poor. While Day was on the street, he met this girl, Tess who he "found" on the street. She aids him if he is hurt and feeds him. Once Day finds out that his families door is marked with an x, he tries to get the cure. When he breaks into the hospital, he makes it in, but once they catch him stealing the vaccine, they try to kill him. But before they can shoot him, he jumps out of a two story building and injures his leg. While he is running, he meets a guy named Metias, who is Junes older brother. Before Metias can capture him, stabs him in the shoulder and he runs off. Before Metias can get up, his Best friend and back stabber, Kills him, as his Commander told him to. The reason why is because he was hacking into the republic top secret files to find out the story of his parent death. Once his little sister finds out, who is June, finds Days pendant, and decides to look for him herself. As she was on the street in disguise trying to find him, she gets into a "skiz" fight, and gets hurt. Day then takes her into his hands and helps her recover with Tess. As she is recovering, Day and June fall in love with each other. But once June finds out that the guy who she loves is Day, she reports him to the republic. June is rewarded the medal of honor and meets the Elector. Junes starts to fell bad for day and tries to help him escape his execution. His brother, Thomas, then takes days place and he get executed instead of day. Once Day and June escape, The jump on a train to L.A, to join the republic

I thought the book was a action and romance/drama book. The reason action was because it was exciting and suspenseful. I thought it was a romance/drama because when Day and June have a relationship, Tess is jealous because she also like day ( )
  IsaiahR.G1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
In the beginning of Legend, Day (the characters name aka Daniel) is watching over his family's house which is in the poor sector of the republic. The republic is the government ruling over all except the colonies which are the people who are fighting against the republic. A trial is what every kid has to take on the day they turn 10. Depending on there score tells you what college you might go to or if you can join the military. If you do not score high enough to get into a college they kick you into the poor places. The poor sectors are weekly checked for new plagues and if there is a plague somewhere it is quarantined. June and day both score perfect scores of 1500. June goes on the be the republics most none prodigy, while day is told that he failed the test and sent to a lab. There he is tested for his amazing prodigy abilities. He soon escapes the lab and goes off to live on the streets. One day Day is watching over his family's house (who think he is dead) why'll the plague patrol comes by for a weekly sweep. The plague patrol mark and X on the doors when there is a family that has the plague. When they get that X nobody is to enter or leave that house. When the soldiers come out of his house they draw a red X on is door but the difference from the rest of the doors is that it is and X with a line right through the middle of it. Later he finds out that it is a new plague much worse then the one before. Day runs to one of the republics hospitals and pretends he is hurt so they bring him in. When nobody is looking he runs for the Plague cures. The problem is there is none left so he just took some medicine that would help. During Days escape he throws a knife at the shoulder of one of the soldiers who happens to be June's brother. It injures him and makes it possible for day escape. Then someone in the republic kills June's brother while he is injured. Then the killer frames Day for the death. June is so mad. She reads everything about Day and how she can hunt him down. She makes a plan to disguise as a poor girl in Days sector. She finally finds Day without even realizing its him. They spend a few days together and once June knows its him and where is family is she tells the Republic. The republic comes to Days family's house and shoots Days mom and takes Day and one of his brothers as a prisoner. The other brother is the one with the plague and they take him to a secret lab. Before Days execution June learns that Day was framed for the kill. She then helps Day escape. Since Day and his captive brother look alike days brother goes and gets executed instead of Day himself. Day and June fled the republic and that's where the book ends.

Legend was a very good book that I loved reading. It had lots of action and it wasn't to long. Also post-apocalyptic books are some of my favorite books because they all have a different reason for having a new world after the one we are living in now didn't work. I like how the character named Day seems to almost have super powers. He has the ability to do amazing parkour stunts. June is very smart and notices everything. Legend is a good enough book that I will defiantly be ready the next books. ( )
  GavynG.B1 | Oct 3, 2014 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible