dismiss

Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden

Tomorrow, When The War Began (1993)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (1)

Seven Australian teenagers return from a camping trip in the bush to discover that their country has been invaded and they must hide to stay alive.
Recently added bynajie11, alexbayley, mmcgui, LAMeyer, S.Oualline, YvetteH, private library, DannyKeep, snowyzoe8
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    After the First Death by Robert Cormier (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: How acts of war / terrorism impact on young people, and how they react.
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (meggyweg)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (selkie_girl, meggyweg)
    selkie_girl: Teenagers are caught in the middle of a war and decide to fight back.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (LKAYC)
    The Road to Winter by Mark Smith (avatiakh)
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    Fire Will Fall by Carol Plum-Ucci (Maid_Marian)

English (109)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (113)
Nice read. Jordan’s school read so we all read and talked and plan to watch movie ( )
  DannyKeep | May 8, 2020 |
READ IN DUTCH

There is an edition which includes the first four books of the Tomorrow Series. I first saw the book in 2006 and after that I've been willing to read the book. Unfortunately, I never bought the book, because I thought it was a bit too expensive for a series I completely didn't know yet.

A few weeks ago I went to my library and there it was (I had never seen it there before). Needless to say, I took it home and read it (during my final exams, which was not the best idea I ever had).

The story is about a bunch of teenagers, who happen to be camping while a war breaks out in Australia. Therefore they aren't put together in some sort of camp, but are still free. They become guerrillas in order to free their country...

I read it and I loved it. I liked the way it was written, liked the story. I couldn't put the book aside. For me, it is a 5 star rating, and I immediately started to read the second book of this series. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
This book takes place in Australia. It is about a group of teens that take a week long trip in the summer before school starts. They return from their trip to find their houses empty, their parents/families missing, and no power. They soon realize that their country has been invaded and the entire town has been captured and is being held hostage. Ellie - the main character - and her friends decide to return to their hideout where they were camping and figure out how they are going to react to the new situation. They need to decide if they are going to hide and wait or fight.

This book was - DUMB. Really really dumb. I was disappointed. It has gotten a lot of 5 star reviews on Amazon, and I had heard of it before, so I thought - why not. It is definitely for the pre-teen/young teenager readers. But that isn't what made it dumb. IT was the writing. This guy is a horrible writer and I am trying to figure out how people gave this 5 stars. The story doesn't go anywhere. It is a 300 page book, and yet the bad guys don't really do much, and the teenagers do even less (besides lay around, kiss, and hunt for food). The further I got into it, the quicker I wanted it to be over. I was actually relieved when it ended.

Don't try this book. Unless you are 12. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I read this entire series a couple of years ago and thought it was great. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
The characters are boring and flat. The scenery - when descriptive - is quite pleasant. But I couldn't care less about the characters.

For the most part, I think I'll call this book "Tomorrow, when the plot began." It takes way too long to start doing anything. And when it does do stuff, it's jumpy and jerky so it feels like paragraphs are missing.

Also, the language. Wow. I've watched plenty of Aussie TV, movies, and read Australian literature and YA fiction and NONE of them used even CLOSE to the amount of slang this book does. You know what it sounds like when some 60 year old marketing executive tries to "connect" with teens? That's what it felt like. Every sentence had to contain at least one piece of slang lingo, or some shortening no one but locals would understand. It was almost painful at points. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 10, 2018 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gelder, Molly vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my dear sister Robin Farran:
so much admired.
It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
The dogs were dead. That was my first thought. They didn't jump around and bark when we drove in, or moan with joy when I ran over to them, like they always had done.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,212,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible