Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden

Tomorrow, When The War Began (1993)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    After the First Death by Robert Cormier (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: How acts of war / terrorism impact on young people, and how they react.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (LKAYC)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (selkie_girl, meggyweg)
    selkie_girl: Teenagers are caught in the middle of a war and decide to fight back.
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (meggyweg)
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    Fire Will Fall by Carol Plum-Ucci (Maid_Marian)

English (94)  Norwegian (1)  Tagalog (1)  Dutch (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (98)
This book was entertaining in a popcorn way. I liked the Australian perspective, but had trouble really feeling for the characters. ( )
  nrobocop | Oct 6, 2014 |
If I were to recommend this book to my friends, I would tell them that it is about Australia being invaded, and a group of teens fighting back. I found it very entertaining. 4Q3P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this book to high school students and adults. I chose to read this book because I had seen the movie and wanted to see what the book was like, because books are always better and have more content. MaxC
  edspicer | Jul 4, 2014 |
Tomorrow, When the War Began starts out as a journal. The narrator/journal's author is Ellie. She's been elected by her group of friends to be the one who writes down what has happened to them so far so that, should anything happen to them, the world will know their story. And the story begins with a camping trip or, what the Aussies call "going bush."

Ellie and her friend Corrie decide that they are going to organize a group hike with their friends through the bush and into a place dubbed Hell: "a cauldron of boulders and trees and blackberries and feral dogs and wombats and undergrowth." It's the Christmas holidays and they want to skip the Commemoration Day show (something, from what I can gather, is akin to a county fair here in the States) in favor of this outing. Ellie and Corrie enlist their friends Robyn, Fi, Kevin, Lee, and Homer. They pack up a Land Rover with supplies and set off.

Now, these kids have some amazing foreshadowing powers because, while they're away, they talk about how the Commemoration Day show would be the perfect time for an invasion or a war to begin. Think about it, they postulate. Everyone's left their farms and ranches and gone to the Show Grounds where they are all together. Which is exactly what happens. When they return home, they find Ellie's dogs dead and the house abandoned. Same holds true for the others' houses and pets. And then the adventure begins.

The story carries on as the group of friends organize and pull off reconnaissance missions, gather more supplies, fight off roving groups of invading soldiers, blow up bridges, and, of course, fall in love with one another. There's a lot of geographical description that, personally, I found distracting; but, I never was good at that spacial thinking and forming a topographical map of the story in my brain as I read. And there's a hell of a lot of luck that is on these kids' side!

It's an okay book; I didn't dislike it, but I'm just not sure that I liked it enough to commit to the full series. In fact, I'm not even sure I'm curious enough to even pick up the second book. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
I will begin by confessing that I watched the movie before I read the book. I adored the movie, but I felt that there were parts that weren't explained enough. Eg. Lee's seriousness/understanding of the situation at the beginning, which the book explains by his watching horror movies, and Kevin's mood swings which Ellie gives a fantastic explanation of towards the end.
When I started to read the book I was a little disappointed. The plot was still fantastic, and even had extra details, such as their plans for long-term survival that I found intriguing. However, I didn't really like the writing style. It seemed a little too 'everyday,' written to be realistic rather than to sound nice, and Ellie's love triangle seemed a bit odd/spontaneous.
However, as the book continued I found the everyday style bothered me less as I got into the action, and Ellie turned into a much more insightful character- her feelings were flushed out more, and everything started to make much more sense.
The only part that annoyed me a little from start to finish were the country/farming references, and some pop culture references that I felt were just kind of thrown in there with the expectation the audience was all-knowing. Perhaps I was just on the other side of a slight cultural divide, being from a different generation from the author, and not being from a country area.
Overall, the book starts out a little flat, but it grows into a fantastic novel that is somehow both action-filled and insightful. I look forward to reading the rest of the series, and although I fear it will evoke a violent paranoia in me, it will probably be worth it. :) ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

There is an edition which includes the first four books of the Tomorrow Series. I first saw the book in 2006 and after that I've been willing to read the book. Unfortunately, I never bought the book, because I thought it was a bit too expensive for a series I completely didn't know yet.

A few weeks ago I went to my library and there it was (I had never seen it there before). Needless to say, I took it home and read it (during my final exams, which was not the best idea I ever had).

The story is about a bunch of teenagers, who happen to be camping while a war breaks out in Australia. Therefore they aren't put together in some sort of camp, but are still free. They become guerrillas in order to free their country...

I read it and I loved it. I liked the way it was written, liked the story. I couldn't put the book aside. For me, it is a 5 star rating, and I immediately started to read the second book of this series. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
"Tomorrow When the War Began", is an adventurous and action packed narrative. Could you imagine coming home from a fun camping trip with your friends and finding yourself in a war zone? Could you put yourself in Ellie and her friend's shoes? Ellie and her friends; Homer, Chris, Robyn, Fi, Corrie, Lee and Kevein get home from their camping trip in "Hell" to find nothing. Their families and towns people are missing and there's no electricity. They soon have to decide whether they should hide and do nothing until the war is over or fight for their families and their town freedom, what would you do? Would you put your life at risk to save your family and friends?These teenagers have to fight for survival, their lives and the lives of everyone from their town. During this adventure Ellie and her friends come across many of challenges that they have to confront. I loved this narrative, it was very easy to understand, personal, and well detailed. I could picture every scene in my head which helped me understand the story in more depth. This book is deffinately worth reading. There's always an event occuring and it keep you on the edge of your seat. Something interesting is always happening, you will never get bored. this is an amazing book and you won't want to put it down. I highly recomend this narrative to ages between 14 and over.
added by mgranotz | editschool

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Molly vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my dear sister Robin Farran:
so much admired.
It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
The dogs were dead. That was my first thought. They didn't jump around and bark when we drove in, or moan with joy when I ran over to them, like they always had done.

World War III becomes an unstoppable reality in the action-packed first installment of the Tomorrow series--an international bestseller in an eye-catching new paperback.

When Ellie and her friends go camping, they have no idea they're leaving their old lives behind forever. Despite a less-than-tragic food shortage and a secret crush or two, everything goes as planned. But a week later, they return home to find their houses empty and their pets starving. Something has gone wrong--horribly wrong. Before long, they realize the country has been invaded, and the entire town has been captured--including their families and all their friends.
Ellie and the other survivors face an impossible decision: They can flee for the mountains or surrender. Or they can fight.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:32 -0400)

Seven Australian teenagers return from a camping trip in the bush to discover that their country has been invaded and they must hide to stay alive.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,394,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible