Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden

Tomorrow, When The War Began (1993)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    After the First Death by Robert Cormier (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: How acts of war / terrorism impact on young people, and how they react.
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (meggyweg)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (selkie_girl, meggyweg)
    selkie_girl: Teenagers are caught in the middle of a war and decide to fight back.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (LKAYC)
    The Road to Winter by Mark Smith (avatiakh)
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    Fire Will Fall by Carol Plum-Ucci (Maid_Marian)

English (105)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Tagalog (1)  All (110)
The characters are boring and flat. The scenery - when descriptive - is quite pleasant. But I couldn't care less about the characters.

For the most part, I think I'll call this book "Tomorrow, when the plot began." It takes way too long to start doing anything. And when it does do stuff, it's jumpy and jerky so it feels like paragraphs are missing.

Also, the language. Wow. I've watched plenty of Aussie TV, movies, and read Australian literature and YA fiction and NONE of them used even CLOSE to the amount of slang this book does. You know what it sounds like when some 60 year old marketing executive tries to "connect" with teens? That's what it felt like. Every sentence had to contain at least one piece of slang lingo, or some shortening no one but locals would understand. It was almost painful at points. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 10, 2018 |
Quite engaging, great narrator. Could open up interesting discussions about "us vs. them", war, how to live when we have so much, violence, etc...but is also just s fun read. I did find myself wondering if the voice of Ellie was stilted because the author intended that or because he wasn't quite sure what to do with her at times. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
As soon as I finished this book I, without hesitation, bought the other six. I new I'd love them, and I was not wrong. ( )
  ZoeWashburne | Feb 16, 2018 |
During a school vacation, a group of teens go camping in a remote location, then return to find their parents missing and foreign soldiers occupying the town. Their first goal was survival and their second was to do something to fight the invasion. Recommended for anyone who reads YA from time to time.
  hailelib | Feb 2, 2018 |
Brilliant! ( )
  tracymjoyce | Nov 16, 2017 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gelder, Molly vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my dear sister Robin Farran:
so much admired.
It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
The dogs were dead. That was my first thought. They didn't jump around and bark when we drove in, or moan with joy when I ran over to them, like they always had done.

World War III becomes an unstoppable reality in the action-packed first installment of the Tomorrow series--an international bestseller in an eye-catching new paperback.

When Ellie and her friends go camping, they have no idea they're leaving their old lives behind forever. Despite a less-than-tragic food shortage and a secret crush or two, everything goes as planned. But a week later, they return home to find their houses empty and their pets starving. Something has gone wrong--horribly wrong. Before long, they realize the country has been invaded, and the entire town has been captured--including their families and all their friends.
Ellie and the other survivors face an impossible decision: They can flee for the mountains or surrender. Or they can fight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:33 -0400)

Seven Australian teenagers return from a camping trip in the bush to discover that their country has been invaded and they must hide to stay alive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,326,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible