Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden

Tomorrow, When The War Began (1993)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (1)

2,1941032,958 (4.1)153
Recently added bycolorwalk, private library, 12345678, ShannonBasketHammer, davidgn, debicakes77, Randin, KirSio
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    After the First Death by Robert Cormier (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: How acts of war / terrorism impact on young people, and how they react.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (LKAYC)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (selkie_girl, meggyweg)
    selkie_girl: Teenagers are caught in the middle of a war and decide to fight back.
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (meggyweg)
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    Fire Will Fall by Carol Plum-Ucci (Maid_Marian)

English (99)  Norwegian (1)  Tagalog (1)  Dutch (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (103)
It Began Tomorrow
By Makailah Severn
Tomorrow When the War Begun by John Marsden
Dystopian, Action/Adventure
“Hell isn’t only a place for the damned, sometimes it’s a place where the saved take refuge.”

'Tomorrow When the War Began' is a compelling story filled with adventure, war and a pinch of romance all woven together by the award-winning author John Marsden. Seven teenagers expected to return from a camping trip at 'Hell’ to the lives they left before but what they didn’t expect was empty houses, starving pets and the whole town taken hostage at the showgrounds. The story follows Ellie and her friends as she describes how an ordinary camping trip turned into the fight for their lives.

This story is set in a small, rural, Australian town known as Wirrawee in the 90’s. It demonstrates and highlights life without the technology teenagers today are addicted to, as it emphasises that these seven teenagers- Ellie, Fiona, Robyn, Kevin, Homer, Corrie and Lee- have absolutely no way of communicating with the outside world, no way of knowing that their town was invaded, no way of knowing that their friends and family are safe.

'Tomorrow When the War Began' however is not your typical dystopian book, following that basic storyline: good citizens, bad government but it shows that the world is not black and white. With their lives flipped, the group begins to see things in a new light as all of them but Ellie especially struggle with the notion of ‘evil’ and bad. As the story goes on the teenagers come to understand why soldiers would invade Australia, even if they do not like it. Little is actually mentioned about these invaders, all we know is that they are not English speaking and are from a poor and deprecated country. Even the fact that America only acts in absolutely desperate measures, shows that the author did not have favoured standpoint.

I have to say that my favourite part would have to be when Ellie and Lee find the cash box filled with the story of Bertram Hubert Sexton Christie (aka the Hermit). This part of the story shows that nothing is as simple as it seems. Before coming up to Hell the group had believed the rumours that the Hermit had brutally killed his own family and then ran for refuge at Hell. By reading these papers they discover more of the story that changed their whole perspective of the Hermit.

I believe that any teen would enjoy this book. I don’t think that you can narrow down to just action seekers or lovers of the romance. It’s got war, it’s got romance, it’s got drama, this book is woven with so many different themes that anyone and every teenager would love 'Tomorrow When the War Began.'

'Tomorrow When the War Began' is a fascinating book filled with drama, romance war and action. Who knew that a trip to Hell would save seven teenagers from a living abyss? Will this living abyss ever end? Find out in book two of the Tomorrow series.
“Get Ready. This is Real. This is True. What Will You Do TOMORROW?”
1 vote Makailah | Jul 12, 2015 |
Earnest - as if a sophomore effort. Exciting, thoughtful, original. I don't understand the title. I'm not sure it's important to read the rest of the series; I don't plan to do so despite the cliffhanger ending. I can definitely see it being popular in secondary schools. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Oh, it's one of those.

I thought it was kind of written okay, since it was written in first person by an annoying teenage Aussie girl who apparently can't stop thinking about which boy she wants to duck. Come on, FUCK. But this is not my kind of book, with its obligatory awkward name. Thankfully there are no daft names and people seem to have normal-looking eyes. Generic YA survival shit. If you like that, fine, read it. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |

There is an edition which includes the first four books of the Tomorrow Series. I first saw the book in 2006 and after that I've been willing to read the book. Unfortunately, I never bought the book, because I thought it was a bit too expensive for a series I completely didn't know yet.

A few weeks ago I went to my library and there it was (I had never seen it there before). Needless to say, I took it home and read it (during my final exams, which was not the best idea I ever had).

The story is about a bunch of teenagers, who happen to be camping while a war breaks out in Australia. Therefore they aren't put together in some sort of camp, but are still free. They become guerrillas in order to free their country...

I read it and I loved it. I liked the way it was written, liked the story. I couldn't put the book aside. For me, it is a 5 star rating, and I immediately started to read the second book of this series. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Light summer reading. 276 pages. Get this book from your local library. Book is written for teenagers, but as an adult it was fun.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
"Tomorrow When the War Began", is an adventurous and action packed narrative. Could you imagine coming home from a fun camping trip with your friends and finding yourself in a war zone? Could you put yourself in Ellie and her friend's shoes? Ellie and her friends; Homer, Chris, Robyn, Fi, Corrie, Lee and Kevein get home from their camping trip in "Hell" to find nothing. Their families and towns people are missing and there's no electricity. They soon have to decide whether they should hide and do nothing until the war is over or fight for their families and their town freedom, what would you do? Would you put your life at risk to save your family and friends?These teenagers have to fight for survival, their lives and the lives of everyone from their town. During this adventure Ellie and her friends come across many of challenges that they have to confront. I loved this narrative, it was very easy to understand, personal, and well detailed. I could picture every scene in my head which helped me understand the story in more depth. This book is deffinately worth reading. There's always an event occuring and it keep you on the edge of your seat. Something interesting is always happening, you will never get bored. this is an amazing book and you won't want to put it down. I highly recomend this narrative to ages between 14 and over.
added by mgranotz | editschool

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Molly vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my dear sister Robin Farran:
so much admired.
It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
The dogs were dead. That was my first thought. They didn't jump around and bark when we drove in, or moan with joy when I ran over to them, like they always had done.

World War III becomes an unstoppable reality in the action-packed first installment of the Tomorrow series--an international bestseller in an eye-catching new paperback.

When Ellie and her friends go camping, they have no idea they're leaving their old lives behind forever. Despite a less-than-tragic food shortage and a secret crush or two, everything goes as planned. But a week later, they return home to find their houses empty and their pets starving. Something has gone wrong--horribly wrong. Before long, they realize the country has been invaded, and the entire town has been captured--including their families and all their friends.
Ellie and the other survivors face an impossible decision: They can flee for the mountains or surrender. Or they can fight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:33 -0400)

Seven Australian teenagers return from a camping trip in the bush to discover that their country has been invaded and they must hide to stay alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,711,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible