dismiss

When a Dragon Moves In by Jodi Moore

When a Dragon Moves In (2011)

by Jodi Moore

A young boy builds a sand castle on the beach and a dragon moves in. The boy and the dragon spend the day at the shore flying a kite, braving the waves, defying bullies, and roasting marshmallows, while the boy's parents remain occupied nearby with their own pastimes. When no one believes the boy's story about the dragon, the creature launches into a mischievous mode and wreaks havoc on everything in its path-- or is it all in the boy's imagination?… (more)

A dragon has moved into a young person's sandcastle! Their parents are too busy to see it, and their sister doesn't care either. But our main character and the dragon have a great time playing in the sand. But when the dragon gets hungry, he starts eating all the sandwhiches and messing up all the food! He even throws sand at the little sister! Finally, everyone's had enough of the dragon!
I thought this book was adorable and I think it would be a good creative writing topic for young writers. I'd like to hear what students would do if they had a dragon in their sandcastle! ( )
  ebrossette | May 5, 2020 |
This story is very imaginative and be used to show kids that having a big imagination is okay. This can be read to them and then tell them to write their own imaginative story. ( )
  SkylerStanley | Apr 29, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book. It is all about imagination. Without imagination, children wouldn't have fun like children are supposed to. Childhood imagination only last so long just as the book mentions. Adults should encourage imagination. ( )
  CameronYoung | Apr 27, 2020 |
I liked this book because it was so much fun to read. As an adult reader, I was filled with nostalgia of my day at the beach when I was a child and had a smile on my face the whole time. However, this book is great for children too, due to it's silly nature, vibrant illustrations, and the subtle yet powerful message. This story follows a child's day at the beach with his imaginary friend; a dragon. After his family gets fed up with his talk of this dragon, the child vows to "never build a perfect sandcastle again...until tomorrow". That was a powerful moment for me because a child's imagination is a beautiful thing; something that should not be stomped out, but encouraged to flourish. This book did a great job of making the pictures fun and engaging, while also including this message to all the children and their care givers. ( )
  smatti10 | Mar 1, 2020 |
Overall, I enjoyed this book. I liked that the book was an easy and fun read. This book could be suitable for students in the second or third grade. One thing that I took away from this book is that it is good book to teach students about cause and effect. For example, it states, " First he'll eat all of the peanut butter sandwiches...even the ones that were supposed to be for your sister". With each section the illustrations show that the little boys is responsible for all of his actions: good or bad. This will teach students that they are responsible for their actions as well. One thing I did not really like about this book is that the story really did not have a plot. The book ended rather subtly and I think it would have been better if there was a more distinct plot to the story. I also liked that the story was from the main characters point of view. I think that since he was so little, it made it easy for the reader to imagine that they were in his shoes while reading this book. ( )
  djerga1 | Feb 14, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

To Larry, Alex & Steve, my muses, my loves --J. M.
For Rebecca --H. M.
If you build a perfect sandcastle, a dragon will move in.

Moore, J. (2011). When a dragon moves in. New York, NY: Scholastic, Inc.

Summary: This book is about a boy that builds a sand castle and lets a dragon stay in it. Together the two try to convince his mom, dad, and sister that the dragon exists.  After becoming frustrated that no one believes him, he sends the dragon off and knocks over the castle but the very next day he builds another one for more dragons to come.

Tags and Collections: The book does not specifically say if the dragon is made up in the child's imagination or if it really did exist and no one took the time to pay it any attention.  I think the book is a good example of how sometimes adults ignore what children really have to say or easily dismiss them.  I think it would be a good book to read when discusses ways in which we can be heard.

Comments: I really love the illustrator's (Howard McWilliam) use of color on the pages. I also think he does a great job showing us what the characters are feeling my making matching facial expressions to their feelings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,696,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible