When a Dragon Moves In by Jodi Moore

When a Dragon Moves In (2011)

by Jodi Moore

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I liked that the book was an easy and fun read. This book could be suitable for students in the second or third grade. One thing that I took away from this book is that it is good book to teach students about cause and effect. For example, it states, " First he'll eat all of the peanut butter sandwiches...even the ones that were supposed to be for your sister". With each section the illustrations show that the little boys is responsible for all of his actions: good or bad. This will teach students that they are responsible for their actions as well. One thing I did not really like about this book is that the story really did not have a plot. The book ended rather subtly and I think it would have been better if there was a more distinct plot to the story. I also liked that the story was from the main characters point of view. I think that since he was so little, it made it easy for the reader to imagine that they were in his shoes while reading this book. ( )
  djerga1 | Feb 14, 2019 |
In my opinion this is a good book. It shows the use of imagination and the creativity you can use anywhere. It shows a young boy at the beach building the perfect sandcastle. This image is likely familiar to many children. It goes on to a dragon being in his castle. This dragon is only able to be seen my him, everyone else thinks its other materials you would find on the beach. The boy tries to show his father the "feather from my dragons wing." and his father replies "That's a nice seagull feather,". No one believes that the dragon is the one be bad and blame the boy. The illustrations are very well done. They show the dragon beside the boy but also show how the dragon is made up. When talking about the dragons footprints you could also see the boy dragging his shovel. The boy talks about the dragons teeth and you see broken seashells. This book promotes individual play and independence. It also shows how much fun you can have if you let your imagination run wild. Through reading this book children will be more likely to go out and create. It gets the child thinking about fun, crazy ideas. ( )
  sheiland1 | Feb 14, 2019 |
I think this book is an excellent choice for students. It draws the reader in with colorful pictures and fun fonts. And who doesn't want to read about a dragon? This book can help as a guide to teach readers about cause and effect. For example, the book says, "If you build a perfect sandcastle, a dragon will move in."A downside of this book is that it does not push the reader to think about any critical issues in society or about themselves.
  ctrain6 | Feb 14, 2019 |
Georgia book award
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
I loved this book! It was super cute, and had great pictures. It kept me entertained and it was funny. ( )
  MicahGrizzle | Sep 12, 2016 |
To Larry, Alex & Steve, my muses, my loves --J. M.
For Rebecca --H. M.
If you build a perfect sandcastle, a dragon will move in.

Moore, J. (2011). When a dragon moves in. New York, NY: Scholastic, Inc.

Summary: This book is about a boy that builds a sand castle and lets a dragon stay in it. Together the two try to convince his mom, dad, and sister that the dragon exists.  After becoming frustrated that no one believes him, he sends the dragon off and knocks over the castle but the very next day he builds another one for more dragons to come.

Tags and Collections: The book does not specifically say if the dragon is made up in the child's imagination or if it really did exist and no one took the time to pay it any attention.  I think the book is a good example of how sometimes adults ignore what children really have to say or easily dismiss them.  I think it would be a good book to read when discusses ways in which we can be heard.

Comments: I really love the illustrator's (Howard McWilliam) use of color on the pages. I also think he does a great job showing us what the characters are feeling my making matching facial expressions to their feelings.

On a beautiful day at the beach, a young boy brings his bucket, shovel, and imagination, and builds a perfect sand castle. Right away, a dragon moves in. The boy decides to befriend his dragon and they spend time roaming the shore, flying a kite, braving the waves, defying bullies, and roasting marshmallows—all while Dad is busy sunbathing and Mom is engrossed in her book. Unfortunately, no one believes the boy when he tries to share the news of this magnificent creature. That’s when the mischief begins, and the dragon becomes a force to be reckoned with. While adults will recognize the naughty antics as a ploy for attention, children will dissolve into giggles as the dragon devours every last sandwich, blows bubbles in the lemonade, and leaves claw prints in the brownies. Maybe the dragon really is running amok on the beach, or maybe it’s a little boy’s imagination that is running wild.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A young boy builds a sand castle on the beach and a dragon moves in. The boy and the dragon spend the day at the shore flying a kite, braving the waves, defying bullies, and roasting marshmallows, while the boy's parents remain occupied nearby with their own pastimes. When no one believes the boy's story about the dragon, the creature launches into a mischievous mode and wreaks havoc on everything in its path-- or is it all in the boy's imagination?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,528,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible