The Death Relic by Chris Kuzneski

The Death Relic (2011)

by Chris Kuzneski

Great read! Lots of action, twists and turns and witty dialogue! ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
I won't deny it...I like Chris Kuzneski. I feel he needs to inject more mystery and intrigue into his writing and a lot less of the humorless banter between his two main characters. It's as if he needs a filter to screen out the worst jokes and leave the crafty ones adherent to character building.

That being said, I agree with most critics and seasoned writers: his prose contains an energetic drive. Whether that is craft or the joked or visceral to his nature, I'm not sure. But it has carried me through his books and will continue to do so with his next. ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
From Amazon:

The New World, 1545: Vanquished by the Spanish Empire, little remained of the Aztec and Mayan civilizations. From the ashes of their cities, a unified legend emerged: their conquerors possessed a mysterious object, an artifact so powerful—so deadly—that it came to be known as “the Death Relic." Yucatan Peninsula, present day: When Maria Pelati’s research team disappears in Mexico, she calls Jonathon Payne and David Jones, who embark on a perilous mission to find the missing archaeologists. They soon realize that Maria’s research may hold the key to solving one of the darkest mysteries of the New World. But their quest to learn the truth about the Death Relic may end up costing them their lives.

My Thoughts:

Most reviews, both on Amazon and Goodreads didn't like the book even a little bit, I believe the constant travel and not much about the actual artifact may have been the reason for this. If this had been my first Payne nd Jones book I might have felt the same way...but I found it is an awesome book, filled with CIA hi-jinx and espionage.. as well as a great deal of Mayan and Aztec history...not to mention the good natured interplay between the two good friends and partners, Payne and Jones. I think the racial jokes could be toned down a bit ...but other than that a realty good read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Death Relic by Chris Kuzneski is a very good mystery set in the Aztec and Mayan ruins of the Yucatan Peninsula. Lots of action, chases, and gunfire keep the pace of the novel moving briskly towards an action-packed ending. ( )
  lpg3d | Sep 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For the first time Chris Kuzneski has left me disappointed. Most of the book, though certainly well written, felt like a prelude. At the moment I finally thought, "Yes! Now we are on track..." the book ended abruptly and with little grace. Overall this book left me wondering if it's merely a placeholder for whatever comes next. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Apr 2, 2013 |
The phone rang in the dead of night.

(from the back of the book)
After being vanquished by the Spanish empire, little remains the Aztec and Mayan civilizations.  From the ashes of their cities emerged a unified legend: Their conquerors possessed a mysterious artifact so powerful – so deadly – that it was universally known as the “Death Relic.”  Despite its infamy, little else is known about it.  Like the lives of the men who carried it, the object was lost long ago.  Or was it?
When archaeologist Maria Pelati’s research team disappears in the rugged terrain of the Yucatan Peninsula, she contacts Jonathan Payne and David Jones to help track them down.  Following the clues left behind, the duo discovers a link between the research team’s work and their recent disappearance.
As Payne and Jones embark on a perilous mission to find the lost archaeologist, they realize that Maria’s research may be the key to solving one of the darkest mysteries of the New World.  But their quest may end up costing them their lives as they unearth the secret of the Death Relic.

After being vanquished by the Spanish empire, little remains of the Aztec and Mayan civilizations. From the ashes of their cities emerged a unified legend: Their conquerors possessed a mysterious artifact so powerful - so deadly - that it was universally known as the "Death Relic." When archaeologist Maria Pelati's research team disappears in the rugged terrain of the Yucatan Peninsula, she contacts Jonathon Payne and David Jones to help track them down. As Payne and Jones embark on a perilous mission to find the lost archaeologists, they realize that Maria's research may be the key to solving one of the darkest mysteries of the world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chris Kuzneski's book The Death Relic was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,864,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible