The End of the World by D. W. Wilkin

The End of the World

by D. W. Wilkin

The Shattered Mirror by D. W. Wilkin (Anonymous user)

A friend recommended this Regency Romance thinking I would like it. She was right. I really enjoyed all the manners and mores of the time. It reminded me of several Georgette Heyers I've read. The author uses his talent to really make me think that when he relates what is going on in a regency drawing room, I am there hearing it. The dialogue and style he has written evokes that well. I can see where others who don't read regencies might have problem with the language, but working with it, it gives the story a complete regency flavor.

The author seems to have a good grasp of what goes on during that time and I wish that there was more about the mining, but apparently the first railroad type tracks for mining was in this area.

The hidden man and his interaction with his patrons was well done, and I liked the little scamp as well. The love story, the right girls getting the right men was well handled letting me think that until the very end, there was tension and drama all around.

With the first kiss and the final page coming together quite nicely. I too can recommend this book to my friends. ( )
1 vote AlisonDavis | Sep 4, 2011 |
Although the concept of a period romance (Victorian, Georgian, Edwardian?? I'm not certain which period the novel is set in) is always interesting, unfortunately this novel fails to deliver. The writing is overly expository--and not in a good way. Grammar, syntax, and style are rarely in evidence, and the book suffers because if it. A 300-pager that could be a much better book at half the length. My advice would be to employ a ruthless editor. ( )
1 vote aungelic | Sep 4, 2011 |
For the most part I enjoyed this book. It seems like the plot gets rather lost several times throughout the novel. It felt like a lot of unnecessary events and conversations are placed throughout the story which confuse and often bore the reader. I good idea and plot line, just not well executed in my opinion. ( )
1 vote igjoe | Aug 31, 2011 |
Regency romances can be a lot of fun to read. This book had a good regency romance story. However, the story got lost in the book trying too hard to fit that genre. It seemed somewhat forced.

*** Reviewed for member giveaway *** ( )
1 vote njmom3 | Aug 9, 2011 |
This is a regency romance. It is set in Cornwall, focussed on two families, the Merwyns, with two daughters of marriageable age, and the Tadcasters, with three sons and a younger daughter. The two families are not getting along very well, and into this situation rides Samuel Lynchammer, a mysterious stranger who begins to upset the balance and shred the uneasy truce. But the right things happen in the end. A fun, light fluffy romance. ( )
1 vote EowynA | Jul 4, 2010 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,663,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible