Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, Book 2) by…

Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, Book 2) (edition 1986)

by David Eddings

Member:nexist
Title:Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, Book 2)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

English (32)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (38)
One boy's journey to meet his destiny in a fist fight with a god! The evil god Torak wanted the powerful Orb of Aldur.

I loved this entire series. This book tells of how Garion comes into his teen years and the power that he finds himself wielding. Can he control it?

This book was awesome! Highly recommend the entire series. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
I have to say, I like Ce'Nedra. She's a pain, but she's funny. Silk is still, by far my favorite character, but I do like the Imperial Princess. I'm starting to get a bit confused, with the names and the people, but they do mostly make sense. Pity that Lelldorin character didn't get to stay, but I think Mandorallen is a good man. He reminds me of Sturm Brightblade, from the Dragonlance Chronicles, and I always liked Sturm. And this book just made me even more curious-- who is the voice in Garion's head? I'm guessing it's Belgariad, mostly because it's a sorcerer's name and he hasn't shown up yet, but then again, Belgariad could be a thing, or dead. Yet... dead people, in books like these, often turn out to be not dead at all, but merely thought dead by the vast majority. Including me. ^_^ ( )
  jerenda | Jan 20, 2016 |
Well, the comfortable slippers of my teenage years this may be, but good God it's slow - the first part especially, though it does pick up towards the end. The whole Arendian section is there to make a political point, introduce Mandorallen and give you a tour through the world Eddings has created, but really it could be done in just a few pages.

I also found the tone at times irritating and the way events happen to be just a little too convenient.

On the plus side it is very readable and the cast of flawed characters is fun. ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 24, 2015 |
Stylistically similar to Pawn of Prophecy, this sequel maintains the same strengths and weaknesses. The principle cast includes a somewhat dimwitted protagonist, women who are more like caricatures of females than actual characters, and strong supporting characters who keep the tale interesting and entertaining. ( )
  Ailinel | May 3, 2015 |
Rereading again (this time, as an ebook) and enjoying! ( )
  4hounds | Nov 23, 2014 |

Haarala, TarmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger,LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Helen, who gave me the most precious thing in my life, and for Mike, who taught me how to play.
Being an Account of the Battle of the Kingdoms of the West against the most heinous Invasion and Evil of Kal Torak.
- based upon The Battle of Vo Mimbre

In the youth of the world, the evil God Torak stole the Orb of Aldur and fled, seeking dominion.
Vo Wacune was no more.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335651, Mass Market Paperback)

"BELGARIAD is exactly the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adventure, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight."
PIERS ANTHONY
The master Sorcerer Belgarath and his daughter Polgara the arch-Sorceress were on the trail of the Orb, seeking to regain its saving power before the final disaster prophesized by the legends. And with them went Garion, a simple farm boy only months before, but now the focus of the struggle. He had never believed in sorcery and wanted no part of it. Yet with every league they traveled, the power grew in him, forcing him to acts of wizardry he could not accept.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:08 -0400)

A farm boy becomes involved in the struggle to recover the powerful Orb of Aldur and prevent the evil God Torak from taking control of the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,803,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible