Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, Book 2) by…

Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, Book 2) (edition 1986)

by David Eddings

4,71941998 (3.88)47
Member:nexist
Title:Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, Book 2)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

English (35)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
When I was younger I really enjoyed these but this was mostly because I didn't see some of the issues, I mean I did, but I was able to gloss over them much more easily. There is a certain racist element to some of the descriptions of peoples (all x do y or have this and that trait, nope, fail) this is a getting to know characters and the situation they're in and for Garion to whine a lot and to learn more about his life and meet Ce'Needra. This story doesn't do much other than introduce the characters and expand their backgrounds and show the world they're in, it's not much going on really, but a lot underneath the story.

Several pivotal things happen, Salmissra's punishment is interesting and apt, but the keeping ignorant of Garion has always grated heavily. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 15, 2016 |
This book continues the quest of Garion and his companions as they search for the stolen Orb. In this part of the quest, the party travels through the various lands making up Eddings' world and collecting more companions.

Again, fairly standard fare and if the characters are a bit one-dimensional, that's a criticism that can be levelled at a lot of novels in the genre ( )
  JohnFair | Aug 28, 2016 |
Another classic from my youth. I loved the story spun by David Eddings as the gang continued on their journey after the orb. I love the characters and trying to link them to their origins (vikings, huns, etc). ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
One boy's journey to meet his destiny in a fist fight with a god! The evil god Torak wanted the powerful Orb of Aldur.

I loved this entire series. This book tells of how Garion comes into his teen years and the power that he finds himself wielding. Can he control it?

This book was awesome! Highly recommend the entire series. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
I have to say, I like Ce'Nedra. She's a pain, but she's funny. Silk is still, by far my favorite character, but I do like the Imperial Princess. I'm starting to get a bit confused, with the names and the people, but they do mostly make sense. Pity that Lelldorin character didn't get to stay, but I think Mandorallen is a good man. He reminds me of Sturm Brightblade, from the Dragonlance Chronicles, and I always liked Sturm. And this book just made me even more curious-- who is the voice in Garion's head? I'm guessing it's Belgariad, mostly because it's a sorcerer's name and he hasn't shown up yet, but then again, Belgariad could be a thing, or dead. Yet... dead people, in books like these, often turn out to be not dead at all, but merely thought dead by the vast majority. Including me. ^_^ ( )
  jerenda | Jan 20, 2016 |

Haarala, TarmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger,LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Helen, who gave me the most precious thing in my life, and for Mike, who taught me how to play.
Being an Account of the Battle of the Kingdoms of the West against the most heinous Invasion and Evil of Kal Torak.
- based upon The Battle of Vo Mimbre

In the youth of the world, the evil God Torak stole the Orb of Aldur and fled, seeking dominion.
Vo Wacune was no more.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335651, Mass Market Paperback)

"BELGARIAD is exactly the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adventure, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight."
PIERS ANTHONY
The master Sorcerer Belgarath and his daughter Polgara the arch-Sorceress were on the trail of the Orb, seeking to regain its saving power before the final disaster prophesized by the legends. And with them went Garion, a simple farm boy only months before, but now the focus of the struggle. He had never believed in sorcery and wanted no part of it. Yet with every league they traveled, the power grew in him, forcing him to acts of wizardry he could not accept.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:08 -0400)

A farm boy becomes involved in the struggle to recover the powerful Orb of Aldur and prevent the evil God Torak from taking control of the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,159,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible