Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell

Red Mist (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Patricia Cornwell, Kate Burton (Reader)

Member:SharronA
Title:Red Mist
Authors:Patricia Cornwell
Other authors:Kate Burton (Reader)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Audio
Rating:***
Tags:mystery series

Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell (Author) (2011)

English (21)  Dutch (3)  All languages (24)
Out of Boston, Mass on a side trip, Dr. Kay Scarpetta, medical examiner, is on a trip to a Savannah prison. She is going to meet a prisoner who was closely related to her recently dead colleague, Jack Fielding. All the usual suspects are there, Benton, Lucy, Marino. And people from the previous novels become ire-introduced.
I enjoy reading Cornwell novels because the plots are intellectually based. I don't mind reading in first person or present tense. The periphery characters are less annoying, but the main character is more annoying. It seems Cornwell has softened the co-stars, but in a way that seems they are developing further which can bee somewhat difficult after a long series. However, the main character seems to stagnate in her own sort comings. I hope that improves as I continue to read this series. ( )
  FMRox | Jul 17, 2014 |
I know the Scarpetta series has gotten a lot of criticism in recent years for various reasons. I too, thought some of the entries a few books back got a bit convoluted and hard to follow and a bit off-track. However, never once did I consider not reading the newest Scarpetta book. I eagerly devour each one and feel that Kay is a well-known, long-time friend, who I love to spend time with.

So I got to thinking, no matter what, I love this series. I love Patricia Cornwell's writing and Scarpetta's voice. This series has something that has compelled me to come back for more, without hesitation, and there are only a handful of authors who can consistently do that with me.

There are also very few who can instill such a sense of foreboding within the framework of, not exactly mundane circumstances, because let's face it, she investigates violent death, but day-to-day workday experiences. From almost the very first page of this book, I got a feeling of disquiet that steadily increased to the point of real creepiness. I just got an overall crawling feeling of impending doom and danger, and that's very hard for an author to instill and sustain.

While reading this book, I found myself, amidst my own mundane activities, randomly thinking of blood splatter across the walls, of a murderer lurking behind me, of some imminent danger about to occur. Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta books do this to me every time without fail.

If that doesn't deserve my continued devotion and a five-star rating, I don't know what does! ( )
  DTChantel | Nov 12, 2013 |

DTChantel | Oct 31, 2013 |
I stopped reading the Kay Scarpetta novels for a few years and then last year read a few of them and got pissed off because the characters I loved so much have devolved into psychopathic idiots and the plots were obvious almost from page one. So why did I check this one out? I have no idea. It was the same as the last one I read with a new title.

I really miss the old Kay, Benton, Marino and Lucy. I hate it that strong, smart, funny, real characters have become obtuse, whiny, one-dimensional egotists. I also miss the gritty mysteries and trying to figure out who did it. And crimes that make sense. And good writing. ( )
  bohemiangirl35 | Sep 28, 2013 |
lOVE THE FORENSIC APPROACH TO CRIMES. GREAT READ. ( )
  Barbara31542 | Sep 7, 2013 |

Cornwell, PatriciaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trouw-Luyckx, MiekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels,
Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.
~Revelations 16:1
As always, I am grateful to Dr. Staci Gruber for her incredible technical skills and expertise, and her patience and encouragement.

This book is dedicated to you, Staci
Iron rails the rusty brown of old blood cut across a cracked paved road that leads deeper into the Lowcountry.

On her quest to find out exactly what happened to her recently murdered former deputy chief, Jack Fielding, Scarpetta drive to the Feorgia Prison for Women to meet a convicted sex offender and the mother of a vicious and diabolically brilliant killer. Against the advice of her FBI forensic psychologist husband, Benton Wesley, Scarpetta is determined to hear this woman out.
Scarpetta has both personal and professional reasons to learn more about a string of grisly killings; the muder of a Savannah family years earlier, a young woman on death row, and then other inexplicable deaths that begin to occur at a breathtaking pace. Driven by inner forces, Carpetta discovers connections that compel her to conclude that what she thought ended with Fielding's death and an attempt on her own life is only the beginning of something far more destructive; a terrifuing terrain of conspiracy and potential terrorism on an international scale.
And she is the only one who can stop it.

Determined to find out what happened to her former deputy chief, Jack Fielding, murdered six months earlier, Kay Scarpetta travels to the Georgia Prison for Women, where an inmate has information not only on Fielding, but also on a string of grisly killings.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,422,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible