Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell

Red Mist (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Patricia Cornwell, Kate Burton (Reader)

787None11,633 (3.33)10
Member:SharronA
Title:Red Mist
Authors:Patricia Cornwell
Other authors:Kate Burton (Reader)
Info:Penguin Audio (2011), Edition: Unabridged, 11 Audio CDs, approx. 13 hours
Collections:Your library, Audio
Rating:***
Tags:mystery series

Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell (Author) (2011)

Recently added byprivate library, tmshow, olgaroederer, apsing01, pathfindercentral

English (20)  Dutch (2)  All languages (22)
I know the Scarpetta series has gotten a lot of criticism in recent years for various reasons. I too, thought some of the entries a few books back got a bit convoluted and hard to follow and a bit off-track. However, never once did I consider not reading the newest Scarpetta book. I eagerly devour each one and feel that Kay is a well-known, long-time friend, who I love to spend time with.

So I got to thinking, no matter what, I love this series. I love Patricia Cornwell's writing and Scarpetta's voice. This series has something that has compelled me to come back for more, without hesitation, and there are only a handful of authors who can consistently do that with me.

There are also very few who can instill such a sense of foreboding within the framework of, not exactly mundane circumstances, because let's face it, she investigates violent death, but day-to-day workday experiences. From almost the very first page of this book, I got a feeling of disquiet that steadily increased to the point of real creepiness. I just got an overall crawling feeling of impending doom and danger, and that's very hard for an author to instill and sustain.

While reading this book, I found myself, amidst my own mundane activities, randomly thinking of blood splatter across the walls, of a murderer lurking behind me, of some imminent danger about to occur. Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta books do this to me every time without fail.

If that doesn't deserve my continued devotion and a five-star rating, I don't know what does! ( )
  DTChantel | Nov 12, 2013 |

DTChantel | Oct 31, 2013 |
I stopped reading the Kay Scarpetta novels for a few years and then last year read a few of them and got pissed off because the characters I loved so much have devolved into psychopathic idiots and the plots were obvious almost from page one. So why did I check this one out? I have no idea. It was the same as the last one I read with a new title.

I really miss the old Kay, Benton, Marino and Lucy. I hate it that strong, smart, funny, real characters have become obtuse, whiny, one-dimensional egotists. I also miss the gritty mysteries and trying to figure out who did it. And crimes that make sense. And good writing. ( )
  bohemiangirl35 | Sep 28, 2013 |
lOVE THE FORENSIC APPROACH TO CRIMES. GREAT READ. ( )
  Barbara31542 | Sep 7, 2013 |
"Fresh Meat" by Jordan Foster for Criminal Element

We were close once, Patrica Cornwell’s Dr. Kay Scarpetta and I. But we’ve grown apart over the years. Scarpetta still writes of her cases, of the bodies she dissects and the killers she catches, and I still read of her exploits but with each new installment, I drift. Perhaps it’s because she’s strayed further from the everyday monsters that stalk the streets, the ones that kill in alleyways and houses around the corner and in hotel rooms down the hall. She’s long since left behind Richmond and the Chief Medical Examiner’s office for positions with military clout, manning her own forensic center outside of Boston and, briefly, being CNN’s go-to forensic analyst.

These jobs don’t lack for corpses or the unhinged personalities that produce them by the gurney load. But what they can lack is the immediacy, the unwished for intimacy of the earlier cases Scarpetta investigated as a regular ME. The ones without conspiracies or government clearance, without threat levels that need assessment at every turn. The cases where ordinary people living ordinary lives are killed—often in admittedly horribly gruesome ways—by those masquerading as the same kind of ordinary people.

(Read the rest at http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2011/12/fresh-meat-patricia-cornwells-red-m... )
  CrimeHQ | Apr 11, 2013 |

Cornwell, PatriciaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trouw-Luyckx, MiekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels,
Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.
~Revelations 16:1
As always, I am grateful to Dr. Staci Gruber for her incredible technical skills and expertise, and her patience and encouragement.

This book is dedicated to you, Staci
Iron rails the rusty brown of old blood cut across a cracked paved road that leads deeper into the Lowcountry.

On her quest to find out exactly what happened to her recently murdered former deputy chief, Jack Fielding, Scarpetta drive to the Feorgia Prison for Women to meet a convicted sex offender and the mother of a vicious and diabolically brilliant killer. Against the advice of her FBI forensic psychologist husband, Benton Wesley, Scarpetta is determined to hear this woman out.
Scarpetta has both personal and professional reasons to learn more about a string of grisly killings; the muder of a Savannah family years earlier, a young woman on death row, and then other inexplicable deaths that begin to occur at a breathtaking pace. Driven by inner forces, Carpetta discovers connections that compel her to conclude that what she thought ended with Fielding's death and an attempt on her own life is only the beginning of something far more destructive; a terrifuing terrain of conspiracy and potential terrorism on an international scale.
And she is the only one who can stop it.

Determined to find out what happened to her former deputy chief, Jack Fielding, murdered six months earlier, Kay Scarpetta travels to the Georgia Prison for Women, where an inmate has information not only on Fielding, but also on a string of grisly killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible