Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Radix by A.A. Attanasio

Radix (1981)

by A.A. Attanasio

Series: Radix Tetrad (1)

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All languages (6)
Sadly this became a bit of a chore to read. It starts off so well then just seems to meander with no real purpose. The finale, though not a complete let down, is rather trite.
Certainly not worth the hype it recieved on it's original publication ( )
  sundowneruk | Feb 2, 2016 |
If you're a lazy reader, then stop right here. AA Attanasio isn't going to be your cup of tea.

However, if you like having your mind blown, your world expanded, your characters lusciously developed over time, having many sub-plots coalescing and finally cascading into each other like an impromptu orgy and love looking up words you've never read before or an author who can invent them - then please, by all means. Continue reading...

In no way, would I dare write spoilers in this review. Why? Well, if there is one thing AA Attanasio delivers, it's a memorable journey you will not likely forget anytime soon. I can honestly say that he's written the only stories and characters that have compelled me to become more. More than me. From a young age, when I spent summers in libraries, he helped push the limits of my thinking mind and invited me into a world, many worlds, all types of places and universes that I had always hoped exist - but wasn't quite sure if they did?

There are moments, when reading this sci-fi/fantasy classic that you have to wonder - has the author walked right into the body of someone? A troop of someones? Why, you wonder? Well, that's how vivid his fluid writing is. You're utterly convinced he's stepped right inside his character's life, head, body, and mind. All to reveal his soul. It's fictional poetry.

Truthfully, this isn't just a review for Radix. It's a review for all of his books. With each one, you may not be certain if the same author wrote them all? In fact, there was a point in time when I thought he had betrayed me and my curiosity and walked away from his books. Only to return, to realize his range is just simply outta control. Just like his genius.

Beneath all of the harshness and reality-building, are beautiful core truths. The type of stuff that never goes away. The things that speak to us, as a reader to our cores. He never just delivers a tale, a story, an epic. Although certainly, that would be enough. He delivers different ways to transcend, to be awake, to become enlightened, to understand power, truth and love.

There just might be a real Merlin, after-all. :)

rubymadden | Mar 22, 2014 |
An awesome evocation of a post-apocalyptic, mutations-obsessed, mutants-ridden America, with some of the outcasts living at the margin of civilization who turn out to be something entirely unexpected and fascinating, and the making of an unlikely hero shaped both by his will and external forces and events far beyond his grasp.

The very end and its "kill foozle" template was, however, a very big letdown. ( )
  Jarandel | Aug 6, 2011 |
Great start, original, unlikable and unlikely hero. Very strange and different but at the end dropping in a soup of mystical babble without a thread of logic to hang on. ( )
  dnonnon | Jan 9, 2007 |

Marín Trechera, RafaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posen, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Houten, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Things can be - and their Being is grounded in Nothing's ability to noth - Kenneth Burke, Language as Symbolic Action
For LIGHTWORKERS across time and space
Blinded by the headlights, Sumner Kagan lunged off the road and slid down the dirt embankment into the dark.

In a vastly changed world, thirteen centuries from now, Sumner Kagan searches the earth to find the godmind, a malicious being with reality-shaping powers. In this strange and beautiful world - eerily alien, yet hauntingly familiar - Kagan will change from an adolescent outcast to a warrior with god-like abilities and, in the process, take us on an epic and transcendent journey.

A.A. Attanasio is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible