The Freedom Maze by Delia Sherman

The Freedom Maze (2011)

by Delia Sherman

1902590,499 (4.05)1 / 20
    The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Young bookish teen dealing with a tumultuous period in 20th century history finds an escape, and friends, from another social class.

Thirteen-year-old Sophie dreads spending the summer of 1960 with her grandmother and aunt on an old plantation outside of New Orleans, but when she meets a strange creature in the family maze, she's transported back 100 years, mistook for a slave and learns all sorts of life lessons.
This one was slow to get started but once it did, it was very good. I'd say an excellent introduction to life on a plantation for middle grade readers. ( )
  electrascaife | May 5, 2017 |
Interesting time travel. Not a period I would have sought, but better than I had anticipated. I appreciated the growth in the central character, but wanted to know more about those she left behind in the past. I thought it was a missed opportunity to explore the roots of her family. Good to show that even "good masters" had blind spots. Kept me turning pages. A fairly quick read. ( )
  njcur | Jul 20, 2016 |
This is a fantastic piece of historical fiction! The story was gripping and thoroughly researched. But they have got to do something about that cover. No teenager is going to pick this book up willingly with a cover like that. As much as we wish they wouldn't, kids totally judge books by their covers. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Narrated by Robin Miles. The artwork on the cover appeared aimed at a younger audience so I was surprised to hear the characters speaking in frankly racist terms, until I took a closer look and saw the book is aimed at teens. Narrator Miles is spectacular in her performance and accent work, putting the listener right in the middle of the Louisiana sugar plantation, privvy to the fears and gossip of the Fairchild slaves. Every character is distinct and alive in her voice. This is the kind of performance that takes literature to its roots: the oral tradition. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I really liked this tale. A young girl, Sophie Fairchild Martineau, who is visiting her aunt at the now-shabby site of the once-prominent family's plantation, meets a mysterious creature who transports her back in time to the antebellum south, where she takes on the persona of the slave love-child of one Robert Fairchild - her ancestor! The plot is neatly put together - the creature needs Sophie to fill an historic role - but the details of life on a plantation as a young slave girl are what made the book engrossing for me. It wasn't the inhumanity of the slave-master relationship - we're all familiar with that, although The Freedom Maze did bring it to life - but the humanity of the slaves as they made do and managed their withering oppression with irony, gallows-humor and plain courage and grit. ( )
  jimnicol | Sep 26, 2014 |
This book is a wonderful segue from a watered-down child’s version of history into a more genuine and realistic account of life during slavery and civil rights.

A feisty heroine, mystical creature, and time travel, masterfully combined with a rich historical context and deep social and political statements, create a compelling story that will stay with listeners.

(Starred review) Multilayered, compassionate and thought-provoking, a timely read on the sesquicentennial of America’s Civil War
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 1, 2011)

Delia Shermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jennings, KathleenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In 1960, thirteen-year-old Sophie isn't happy about spending the summer at their grandmother's old house in the Bayou until she finds a maze with a secretive and mischievious inhabitant. Bored and lonely, Sophie makes an impulsive wish and finds herself in 1860 at her family's home, where she is mistaken for a slave. What will happen to her?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Delia Sherman's book The Freedom Maze was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible